British Speedway Forum
johnyson66

Favourite Rider and team you support favorite rider

15 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Jim Airey - Sunderland 'Saints' 1964.

Graem Smith - Sunderland 'Stars' 1972/73.

Jack Millen. Sunderland 'Stars' 1972/73.

Just my favourite Riders for my Club - Sunderland of blesséd memory.

Or as the opposition knew him Millen the villian,  yeah hard rider and do you know I looked him up earlier and never knew he died in 1978 , car accident but he had fuel in the car that caught fire , aye the good old days , remember seeing him ride and everyone booing him at Cleveland park 

53 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

Or as the opposition knew him Millen the villian,  yeah hard rider and do you know I looked him up earlier and never knew he died in 1978 , car accident but he had fuel in the car that caught fire , aye the good old days , remember seeing him ride and everyone booing him at Cleveland park 

Sad indeed...however he was well thought of by many. John Davis had good things to say about him for one.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Sad indeed...however he was well thought of by many. John Davis had good things to say about him for one.

It's a pity there aren't a few riders like Jack around today , he maybe didn't ride for long at Berwick but he still has cult status. Len Silver also said great things about him in his book

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fliss44 said:

Memories from being a kid at Coventry I would say Nigel Boocock and in more recent times it would have to be Billy Janirro -- not for his success as a number 1 (which he never was) but just loved the way he took no nonsense (with the assistance of his elbows). Master bonus point rider :D

Remember when Nicki  Pedersen took him and the other Coventry rider off like skittles in one move? Billy wasn't very happy. :D

Edited by Gemini
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Remember when Nicki  Pedersen took him and the other Coventry rider off like skittles? Billy wasn't very happy. :D

I met Billy a few times, and he seemed a really nice guy. I tell you though, if you never saw him without a shirt, you have no idea just how muscular he is! I wouldn't want to upset him...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, johnyson66 said:

My all time favorite rider was the brilliant Kelly Moran of the USA, he was just magic on a speedway bike so smooth it was effortless,  I would have picked K Carter but didn't for obvious reasons , my favorite Tiger or Bear is and I'm going to pick 2 because I can't split them Bruce Forrester is first just always remember thexactly red and white scarf tied round his neck and he was our no1 when I first started going , and then Mark Courtney just super smooth on the bike and made it look so easy, was going to pick Berie Collier or Budgie but didn't for obvious reasons 

Bruce had Alzeimers towards the end of his life and died in 2006.  I have photos in my Speedway albums on Facebook of Bruce, Charlie Barsby and Alan Cowland at a Leicester reunion in November 2004.  Charlie was my favourite rider and only ever rode for the Leicester Hunters throughout his career. He died this year aged 88. Very sadly Alan committed suicide only 2 months after the reunion. :(

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Bruce had Alzeimers towards the end of his life and died in 2006.  I have photos in my Speedway albums on Facebook of Bruce, Charlie Barsby and Alan Cowland at a Leicester reunion in November 2004.  Charlie was my favourite rider and only ever rode for the Leicester Hunters throughout his career. He died this year aged 88. Very sadly Alan committed suicide only 2 months after the reunion. :(

Yeah, I remember when we lost Alan, but that is sad to hear about Charlie...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chunky said:

I met Billy a few times, and he seemed a really nice guy. I tell you though, if you never saw him without a shirt, you have no idea just how muscular he is! I wouldn't want to upset him...

I seem to remember that he trashed the changing room at Cowley on one occasion?

7 hours ago, chunky said:

32 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I seem to remember that he trashed the changing room at Cowley on one occasion?

There was a good few riders like that , the obvious one who rode for Middlesbrough was Mad Dog Dicko  (Martin Dixon ) not the most gifted rider but always gave a 100% and when he lost a race always wanted a few words with the rider who beat him , always remember him having a few spats with the great Joe Owen who used to beat him 19 races out of 20 , 

Edited by johnyson66
  • Like 1

There where some good riders at 'Boro at that time , Mad Dog , Mark Courtney, Steve Willcock , Daz Sumner & Buzz Burows plus a young Gary Havelock and a few more I've probably forgotten . 

4 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

There where some good riders at 'Boro at that time , Mad Dog , Mark Courtney, Steve Willcock , Daz Sumner & Buzz Burows plus a young Gary Havelock and a few more I've probably forgotten . 

Mark Fiora,  Geoff Pusey, Brian Havelock and we had some poor riders as well Bernie the bolt Collier who to me seemed like a giraffe trying to ride a bike haha he was a trier though I'll give him that 

10 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Good old Tom Leadbitter!

36 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Good old Tom Leadbitter!

Tim and Tom Swales, Frank Auffret,  Mark Lemon , Eric Boocock who rode well before I was going 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

Tim and Tom Swales, Frank Auffret,  Mark Lemon , Eric Boocock who rode well before I was going 

Mark Lemon...an Oxford favourite!

Frank and "Crazy Jack" Millen were the best of enemies!