British Speedway Forum
johnyson66

Favourite Rider and team you support favorite rider

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Mark Lemon...an Oxford favourite!

Frank and "Crazy Jack" Millen were the best of enemies!

Indeed they were. Frank was not very nice about Jack at a Sunderland Reunion a few years back, Very sad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Indeed they were. Frank was not very nice about Jack at a Sunderland Reunion a few years back, Very sad.

Miss your input "The White Knight!"

• Like 2

I can't believe all these 'Boro fans on here, and NOBODY has mentioned the Cleveland Park legend himself, Pete Reading...

9 hours ago, johnyson66 said:

Mark Fiora,  Geoff Pusey, Brian Havelock and we had some poor riders as well Bernie the bolt Collier who to me seemed like a giraffe trying to ride a bike haha he was a trier though I'll give him that 

That is probably the best description I have seen of Bernie...

Jens Rasmussen - Oxford "Cheetahs"

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I can't believe all these 'Boro fans on here, and NOBODY has mentioned the Cleveland Park legend himself, Pete Reading...

Yeah your spot on it totally forgot about Pete he rode for us for some years , just tried to look at few things up about him but there's not much on the Internet about him 

4 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

Yeah your spot on it totally forgot about Pete he rode for us for some years , just tried to look at few things up about him but there's not much on the Internet about him 

That's the problem with some of the older riders, particularly from the lower divisions.

I'm sure you know Stavvy, and we talk about this on Facebook; nearly every photo he posts has Pete Reading in it somewhere! He really was a part of the furniture...

2 hours ago, chunky said:

That's the problem with some of the older riders, particularly from the lower divisions.

I'm sure you know Stavvy, and we talk about this on Facebook; nearly every photo he posts has Pete Reading in it somewhere! He really was a part of the furniture...

Yes I remember stavvy although I doubt he would remember me , my uncle taffy knew him quite well , mention that name when you talk next week always used to stand on the opposite side to the tapes right near the pits , see your a Wimbledon fan I went there once when the individual riders championship was held there , I'm pretty sure it was the late 70s but could have been very early 80s 

3 hours ago, chunky said:

Found some pics of Pete on facebook and yeah I remember him now because he had a big conk haha 

8 hours ago, johnyson66 said:

Found some pics of Pete on facebook and yeah I remember him now because he had a big conk haha 

Conk means nose by the way not something else 

Having started watching at Crayford in 1980, my first hero was Paul Woods, who never really  fulfilled his potential

From then on, it was Barry Thomas at Crayford and Hackney

I think I lost a little bit of love with the sport the day Thommo retired

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Andy Downes said:

Having started watching at Crayford in 1980, my first hero was Paul Woods, who never really  fulfilled his potential

From then on, it was Barry Thomas at Crayford and Hackney

I think I lost a little bit of love with the sport the day Thommo retired

I was devastated when Thommo left Hackney in 81, although it didn't turn out too bad as he was lining up for us most weeks as our number 8. Plus scoring big in the NL meant he scored well for the Hawks as he was full of confidence.

Of course 'the messiah' came home in 84 along with six other riders who I didn't have a clue about, but 'Angel' Andy Galvin, Paul Whitt and good old Moggo turned out to be Hackney legends.

It was no more than Thommo deserved when he was part of our fantastic league and cup double year of 88.

• Like 2

My first fav when I started watching speedway at New Cross was Jimmy Squibb. Then Olle Nygren when I supported Wimbledon, Barry Briggs at Swindon, Simon Stead at Workington, and Leigh Adams when I moved back to Swindon. Jason Doyle fav now. Was also a big fan of Peter Craven and Bjorn Knutsson in the 60s.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1