British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway annuals

I know that the much respected Stenners Speedway Annual was first published in 1946. Was the last one in 1953 or 1954?

When Stenners ceased the Speedway World magazine created the Five Star Speedway Annual - I am not certain of its years of publication. They would have been in the mid-1950s.

When Five Stars ceased, the Speedway Star brought its Speedway Digest out for three years - I think 1959,1960 and 1961?

45 minutes ago, gustix said:

I know that the much respected Stenners Speedway Annual was first published in 1946. Was the last one in 1953 or 1954?

When Stenners ceased the Speedway World magazine created the Five Star Speedway Annual - I am not certain of its years of publication. They would have been in the mid-1950s.

When Five Stars ceased, the Speedway Star brought its Speedway Digest out for three years - I think 1959,1960 and 1961?

Stenners Speedway Annual 1946 to 1954
Fivestar Speedway Annual 1956 to 1963 (although I am not sure that it was published every year - I have issues from 1956, 1957, 1960, 1961 and 1963)
Speedway Star Digest 1961 to 1963

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

Fivestar Speedway Annual 1956 to 1963 (although I am not sure that it was published every year - I have issues from 1956, 1957, 1960, 1961 and 1963)

Same as me. I don't think there were any in 1958 and 1959.
There was also the People's Guide 1947 to 49; Lennon's Annual 1946-7 and Astoria's 1953 to 1958.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, norbold said:

There was also the People's Guide 1947 to 49; Lennon's Annual 1946-7 and Astoria's 1953 to 1958.

From the same era the Evening World (Bristol) published a speedway annual between 1948 and 1951 at least.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, norbold said:

One of the biggest regrets of my life was that years ago (I was still a kid) my parents got rid of a load of speedway books, magazines, and programmes. I managed to acquire a fair amount of magazines and progs myself (but nowhere near what we had), but I was never able to replace the Stenner's and Astorias annuals. I so wish I still had them...

The one thing I do treasure is my copy of Thrilling the Million.

Steve

6 hours ago, chunky said:

One of the biggest regrets of my life was that years ago (I was still a kid) my parents got rid of a load of speedway books, magazines, and programmes. I managed to acquire a fair amount of magazines and progs myself (but nowhere near what we had), but I was never able to replace the Stenner's and Astorias annuals. I so wish I still had them...

Steve

I deeply regret selling my thousands of programmes (some quite rare) before I re-located. I gave away my books but have managed to replace some via ebay at resonable prices.

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I deeply regret selling my thousands of programmes (some quite rare) before I re-located. I gave away my books but have managed to replace some via ebay at resonable prices.

About 10 years ago I dumped in waste paper a collection made over many years of the 'Speedway News', 'Speedway World', 'Speedway Gazette'. 'Speedway Reporter', 'Speedway Star' and 'Speedway Mail' and various foreign speedway related magazines. They were accompanied by many speedway programmes. Other than claiming their ownership I never ever  referred to them.

I also sold off on eBay a collection again made over many years of speedway annuals and other speedway books. I never referred to them and they just collected dust.

TBH these days I wonder what the point is in these sort of collections?

Edited by Guest
spelling error

7 minutes ago, gustix said:

About 10 years ago I dumped in waste paper a collection made over many years of the 'Speedway Star' and 'Speedway Mail' and various foreign speedway related magazines. They were accompanied by many speedway programmes. Other than claiming their ownership I never ever  referred to them.

I also sold off on eBay a collection again made over many years of speedway annuals and other speedway books. I never referred to them and they just collected dust.

My collection of programmes told a story about my years following speedway and I used to read thru' them fairly regularly. It was only due to re-locating and a lack of space that I was obliged to sell them much to my constant regret.

Edited by steve roberts

12 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

A modern times equivalent would be 'Boring the 15,000'!

4 hours ago, gustix said:

About 10 years ago I dumped in waste paper a collection made over many years of the 'Speedway Star' and 'Speedway Mail' and various foreign speedway related magazines. They were accompanied by many speedway programmes. Other than claiming their ownership I never ever  referred to them.

27 minutes ago, gustix said:

A modern times equivalent would be 'Boring the 15,000'!

So far on this thread you have shown you have no interest in the history of the sport nor in the modern day sport. Can you explain what exactly you are doing here?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, norbold said:

So far on this thread you have shown you have no interest in the history of the sport nor in the modern day sport. Can you explain what exactly you are doing here?

Some strange posts lately. Wondering why someone wants to check results from the past or why hold onto memories of the past

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Some strange posts lately. Wondering why someone wants to check results from the past or why hold onto memories of the past

I keep all reference books from speedway's past. All the programmes from matches attended too. All the mags. All for reference purposes and because I prefer the sport from a certain period. I have decluttered down the years, books I read once and haven't touched since.

If people don't hold on to the past, they'd have no family photos.

By the way, I compiled books for the 1958 and '59 seasons.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, norbold said:

Trolling...

Remember, gustix made a comment on here the other day how people look up to him because of his knowledge of "modern" speedway...

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Trolling...

Remember, gustix made a comment on here the other day how people look up to him because of his knowledge of "modern" speedway...

And I do have a certain knowledge of "modern" speedway - gathered because I constantly read references to the period. But that does mean because I have such knowledge I actually enjoy it.

Equally so I have knowledge gained through reading in regard to other motor sports. However having such knowledge does not mean one has a strong dedication to the sport concerned.

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

And I do have a certain knowledge of "modern" speedway - gathered because I constantly read references to the period. But that does mean because I have such knowledge I actually enjoy it.

Equally so I have knowledge gained through reading in regard to other motor sports. However having such knowledge does not mean one has a strong dedication to the sport concerned.

So, what do you think about Bartek?