British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway annuals

19 minutes ago, chunky said:

So, what do you think about Bartek?

Bartosz Zmarzlik became Poland's third world champion yesterday (October 5, 2019). And he has revealed that his former mentor Tomasz Gollob tipped him for the top when he won his Speedway GP title back in 2010.

I regard Bartosz Zmarzlik as a deserved winner of this season's World title. Probably the most impressive world champion since Greg Hancock's successes.

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

Bartosz Zmarzlik became Poland's third world champion yesterday (October 5, 2019). And he has revealed that his former mentor Tomasz Gollob tipped him for the top when he won his Speedway GP title back in 2010.

I regard Bartosz Zmarzlik as a deserved winner of this season's World title. Probably the most impressive world champion since Greg Hancock's successes.

No, I asked what YOU thought about him, not what others thought.

Did you truly sit and watch every GP this year?

1 minute ago, chunky said:

No, I asked what YOU thought about him, not what others thought.

Did you truly sit and watch every GP this year?

I thought this comment made clear what I thought of the new world champion:"I regard Bartosz Zmarzlik as a deserved winner of this season's World title. Probably the most impressive world champion since Greg Hancock's successes."

What I do in regard to my TV viewing is no business of yours - or of anyone else!

26 minutes ago, gustix said:

I thought this comment made clear what I thought of the new world champion:"I regard Bartosz Zmarzlik as a deserved winner of this season's World title. Probably the most impressive world champion since Greg Hancock's successes."

What I do in regard to my TV viewing is no business of yours - or of anyone else!

So, it is quite clear that you DIDN'T watch the GP's, in which case you are not in a position to make such a claim!

Why would you be so offended by me asking you if you watched them? More to the point, why would you react in such a manner? I know why - BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WATCH THEM!

Why be so deceitful just to make us believe that you are an ardent speedway viewer and expert? If you ask somebody, "Did you watch that?", standard answers are, "Yes, I did" or "No, I missed it". NOBODY gets all defensive and belligerent like that just because somebody asks them if they watched something on television...

My original comment asked, "What do you think about Bartek"? Initial responses are things like, "He was great. Totally deserved it." or "I thought Madsen should have won." NOBODY replies like Robbie the Robot saying, "Bartosz.  Zmarzlik.  Became.  Poland's.  Third.  World.  Champion. blah, blah, blah... Not even you...

And what is up with the, "And he has revealed that his former mentor...."? NOBODY adds that - and certainly not writes it in that manner, when asked, "What do you think..."

I've told you before, you really don't help yourself.

Quite embarrassing, really...

Edited by chunky

Apologies to everyone for deviating from the topic. I just thought this was the perfect time...

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

I keep all reference books from speedway's past. All the programmes from matches attended too. All the mags. All for reference purposes and because I prefer the sport from a certain period. I have decluttered down the years, books I read once and haven't touched since.

If people don't hold on to the past, they'd have no family photos.

By the way, I compiled books for the 1958 and '59 seasons.

My memory is pretty good but occasionally there's something I need to check and having access to programmes or books would jog that cell...hence why I've re-aquired reference books but unfortunately the programmes have long gone.

11 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

My memory is pretty good but occasionally there's something I need to check and having access to programmes or books would jog that cell...hence why I've re-aquired reference books but unfortunately the programmes have long gone.

With me, the programmes bring back personal memories, but that isn't all of it. We had a lot of others from the 30's, 40's, and 50's, and I love the historical value. Worst thing is that we had most of the World Final progs, including Malmo 1961. I really wish I still had those...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

With me, the programmes bring back personal memories, but that isn't all of it. We had a lot of others from the 30's, 40's, and 50's, and I love the historical value. Worst thing is that we had most of the World Final progs, including Malmo 1961. I really wish I still had those...

I used to write personal comments in my programmes which I used to find useful in later years when reminiscing with fellow enthusiasts about great meetings and/or races witnessed. I had lots of 'firsts' programmes from new tracks as well as a goodly selection of World Finals (individual/pairs/team)...gone for good!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I used to write personal comments in my programmes which I used to find useful in later years when reminiscing with fellow enthusiasts about great meetings and/or races witnessed. I had lots of 'firsts' programmes from new tracks as well as a goodly selection of World Finals (individual/pairs/team)...gone for good!

I never used to write it mine, but a lot of them were covered in autographs. Those really aren't replaceable...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

So, it is quite clear that you DIDN'T watch the GP's, in which case you are not in a position to make such a claim!

Why would you be so offended by me asking you if you watched them? More to the point, why would you react in such a manner? I know why - BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WATCH THEM!

Why be so deceitful just to make us believe that you are an ardent speedway viewer and expert? If you ask somebody, "Did you watch that?", standard answers are, "Yes, I did" or "No, I missed it". NOBODY gets all defensive and belligerent like that just because somebody asks them if they watched something on television...

My original comment asked, "What do you think about Bartek"? Initial responses are things like, "He was great. Totally deserved it." or "I thought Madsen should have won." NOBODY replies like Robbie the Robot saying, "Bartosz.  Zmarzlik.  Became.  Poland's.  Third.  World.  Champion. blah, blah, blah... Not even you...

And what is up with the, "And he has revealed that his former mentor...."? NOBODY adds that - and certainly not writes it in that manner, when asked, "What do you think..."

I've told you before, you really don't help yourself.

Quite embarrassing, really...

My reactions to you - as the chef warned the turkey!! I think you know what happened!!!

50 minutes ago, gustix said:

My reactions to you - as the chef warned the turkey!! I think you know what happened!!!

Tell me, John, as a respected speedway and sports journalist (who by his own admission wasn't a speedway and sports journalist), have you ever considered engaging in an intellectual conversation by using fact, logic, and reason (rather than astonishingly defensive behaviour and untruths), to substantiate your viewpoint?

Of all the fabricated and emotional nonsense you have posted, blowing a gasket simply because I asked if you watched the GP's was by far the most unexpected, yet entertaining aspect of this episode. I truly never realised that watching television was that private and embarrassing a subject to you.

Is the stigma of being known not to watch - or even be interested in - modern speedway too much to bear? Even though you think it is extremely dull and tedious; or "boring" as you so eloquently stated.

Please, we are not all idiots on here, and we don't like being treated like idiots. Neither do I enjoy having my profession dismissed simply because you aren't smart enough to know that dartboards aren't made of cork, or that darts is actually a well-attended and highly-skilled major international sport...

Steve

Edited by chunky

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I still have all my programmes and I too used to write comments in mine - still do, actually! I have sometimes found my comments useful when replying to questions and comments on this Forum and elsewhere.

My whole collection of programmes (including comments), books and magazines were invaluable to me when I wrote my books. And again, they have proved useful in answering queries on this forum. But also I like to just peruse every now and again to remind myself about individual riders, teams or just the general history.

Sadly, due to needing the space I am having to dispose of all my post 1960s Speedway Stars as I don't think I shall be writing any more speedway books, but I still have a very large collection of books and other ephemera and can't see myself disposing of them any time soon!

P.S., Chunky, I still have my 1961 World Final programme!

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, norbold said:

I still have all my programmes and I too used to write comments in mine - still do, actually! I have sometimes found my comments useful when replying to questions and comments on this Forum and elsewhere.

My whole collection of programmes (including comments), books and magazines were invaluable to me when I wrote my books. And again, they have proved useful in answering queries on this forum. But also I like to just peruse every now and again to remind myself about individual riders, teams or just the general history.

Sadly, due to needing the space I am having to dispose of all my post 1960s Speedway Stars as I don't think I shall be writing any more speedway books, but I still have a very large collection of books and other ephemera and can't see myself disposing of them any time soon!

P.S., Chunky, I still have my 1961 World Final programme!

You sound like me, except you are a lot older! :D

When I whittled down my magazines, I basically got rid of everything post-1970's.

As far as progs, what I really loved was the covers. Forget high-quality photos, I thought some of the old graphics and drawings were wonderful. My fave was the old multi-colour Swindon one (really stood out from others of that era), although I was also fond of the Wimbledon leg-trailer (Billy Lamont?) of the 60's.

Steve

• Like 1

Hate to tell you this, when I left UK -left strict instructions for my mam(RIP)never to chuck out any of my speedway stuff.After I knew I wasn't going back I asked her to ship 'em all over-so I have all my progs and Annuals from the  sixties till when I left-actually I do refer to them e.g. re the Clive Featherby thread- re Les McGillivray thread will get around to checking out the meetings I saw Les race. Call me a nerd (you won't be the first0 or as you say over there an anorak. I don't care-I'm just glad I still got 'em they bring back lots of memories.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2019 at 1:51 PM, moxey63 said:

I keep all reference books from speedway's past. All the programmes from matches attended too. All the mags. All for reference purposes and because I prefer the sport from a certain period. I have decluttered down the years, books I read once and haven't touched since.

If people don't hold on to the past, they'd have no family photos.

By the way, I compiled books for the 1958 and '59 seasons.

Got all my progs of attended meetings and the reference books, but my magazines went years ago. I haven't brought the Star on a regular basis since 1993!

• Like 2