British Speedway Forum
orderly

All speedway

may be if the hierarchy in speedway was replaced by ex riders who are familiar with the every day problems with speedway  and the costs involved and the promoters could reduce the entry fee , we are not a rich country and most of our supporters are on a low income and a night at speedway may be the only family night out that they get, I know that when I was a child for me, my sister & my mother it would cost 5 shillings including fish & chips but the stadia was always full, maybe they should realise that even today less could be a lot more

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, orderly said:

may be if the hierarchy in speedway was replaced by ex riders who are familiar with the every day problems with speedway  and the costs involved and the promoters could reduce the entry fee , we are not a rich country and most of our supporters are on a low income and a night at speedway may be the only family night out that they get, I know that when I was a child for me, my sister & my mother it would cost 5 shillings including fish & chips but the stadia was always full, maybe they should realise that even today less could be a lot more

Actually we are a very rich country, you can't turn the clock back you can only go with things as they are and can be. Experiments HAVE been made with lower admission prices but they make little difference. Many of the leading promoters and managers ARE ex riders.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, orderly said:

The fact the shilling wasn’t accepted after 1990 just proves how far away you’re talking... nearly 30 years! They use a system called contactless now albeit I doubt most speedway stadiums have it as they’re still stuck in circa 00’s LOL

Edited by TurnTwo
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

The fact the shilling wasn’t accepted after 1990 just proves how far away you’re talking... nearly 30 years! They use a system called contactless now albeit I doubt most speedway stadiums have it as they’re still stuck in circa 00’s LOL

Interesting thought.  I always pay in cash at the entrance to Central Park.  I must find out if they accept credit cards as that would be very convenient sometimes.

3 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Interesting thought.  I always pay in cash at the entrance to Central Park.  I must find out if they accept credit cards as that would be very convenient sometimes.

Convenient for the Fans, but then it has to go through the books for promoters ;), I know 2 seasons ago i was doing some promotional work at a stadium, and had to go through the gates not the turnstiles, i paid cash to the guy on the gates which he put in his pocket, i doubt very much that it ever came out again if you follow my meaning.

17 hours ago, East End Fan said:

One of the turnstiles does take card payments.

I can pay for an ice cream from the van in Monmore using a contactless card but the turnstiles are cash only.  Appreciate it's probably not going to be top of the list of things that need attention, and with speedway often being tenants it may be outside of their control but in an increasingly cashless society especially younger people would perhaps appreciate the option of payments by card.  Not so much an issue with the current demographic and folks who know the setup but another thing that could make it look old fashioned to new attendees

9 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

One of the turnstiles does take card payments.

Thanks, Teaboy........don't know how I missed that.  Just did not observe !  Using my card could be convenient sometimes