Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

may be if the hierarchy in speedway was replaced by ex riders who are familiar with the every day problems with speedway  and the costs involved and the promoters could reduce the entry fee , we are not a rich country and most of our supporters are on a low income and a night at speedway may be the only family night out that they get, I know that when I was a child for me, my sister & my mother it would cost 5 shillings including fish & chips but the stadia was always full, maybe they should realise that even today less could be a lot more

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, orderly said:

may be if the hierarchy in speedway was replaced by ex riders who are familiar with the every day problems with speedway  and the costs involved and the promoters could reduce the entry fee , we are not a rich country and most of our supporters are on a low income and a night at speedway may be the only family night out that they get, I know that when I was a child for me, my sister & my mother it would cost 5 shillings including fish & chips but the stadia was always full, maybe they should realise that even today less could be a lot more

Actually we are a very rich country, you can't turn the clock back you can only go with things as they are and can be. Experiments HAVE been made with lower admission prices but they make little difference. Many of the leading promoters and managers ARE ex riders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, orderly said:

may be if the hierarchy in speedway was replaced by ex riders who are familiar with the every day problems with speedway  and the costs involved and the promoters could reduce the entry fee , we are not a rich country and most of our supporters are on a low income and a night at speedway may be the only family night out that they get, I know that when I was a child for me, my sister & my mother it would cost 5 shillings including fish & chips but the stadia was always full, maybe they should realise that even today less could be a lot more

The fact the shilling wasn’t accepted after 1990 just proves how far away you’re talking... nearly 30 years! They use a system called contactless now albeit I doubt most speedway stadiums have it as they’re still stuck in circa 00’s LOL

Edited by TurnTwo
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

The fact the shilling wasn’t accepted after 1990 just proves how far away you’re talking... nearly 30 years! They use a system called contactless now albeit I doubt most speedway stadiums have it as they’re still stuck in circa 00’s LOL

Interesting thought.  I always pay in cash at the entrance to Central Park.  I must find out if they accept credit cards as that would be very convenient sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Interesting thought.  I always pay in cash at the entrance to Central Park.  I must find out if they accept credit cards as that would be very convenient sometimes.

Convenient for the Fans, but then it has to go through the books for promoters ;), I know 2 seasons ago i was doing some promotional work at a stadium, and had to go through the gates not the turnstiles, i paid cash to the guy on the gates which he put in his pocket, i doubt very much that it ever came out again if you follow my meaning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Interesting thought.  I always pay in cash at the entrance to Central Park.  I must find out if they accept credit cards as that would be very convenient sometimes.

One of the turnstiles does take card payments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can pay for an ice cream from the van in Monmore using a contactless card but the turnstiles are cash only.  Appreciate it's probably not going to be top of the list of things that need attention, and with speedway often being tenants it may be outside of their control but in an increasingly cashless society especially younger people would perhaps appreciate the option of payments by card.  Not so much an issue with the current demographic and folks who know the setup but another thing that could make it look old fashioned to new attendees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

One of the turnstiles does take card payments.

Thanks, Teaboy........don't know how I missed that.  Just did not observe !  Using my card could be convenient sometimes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy