British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ruckerroo

Kent v belle vue play off semi 2nd leg tonight

When the heavens opened at 6pm i feared the worst. The track looked very wet before heat 1, but held up well despite the rain falling for the majority of the meeting. All of the riders deserve a lot of credit for knuckling down and riding very sensibly in what must have been very poor visability.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob B said:

Desperation to get a result, an important meeting run in appalling conditions.

Sadly it does itself few favours this sport does it?

A whole seasons work from the riders..

And a whole seasons support from the fans..

All treated with complete disregard and disrespect, just to deliver a deadline..

A deadline that could, and should, be moved to much earlier in the year given how many weeks no Speedway takes place, which would then provide plenty of reserved nights for rain offs/fixture clashes etc..

Thus giving the showpiece events (and the riders) the platform they deserve..

When those who run the sport treat their showpiece events so poorly, then why really should the fans bother?

Rinse and repeat again next season too no doubt..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 6

Forget the result as it is meaningless.

The main factor is that all the riders were able to walk away relatively unscathed.

How the meeting referee is allowed to officiate anywhere is incredulous.

No desire to leave his warm, dry and cosy box to inspect the track at any time, although requested numerous times.

It is a thankless job refereeing any sport as you will never get it right for either set of supporter's, but when you take into consideration the referee is also responsible for the riders safety. Then a good hard look in the mirror is necessary and ask oneself would you have ridden in the prevailing conditions? (Even if it looks okay from the box your sat in)

• Like 1

Why would the ref need to inspect the track as no one fell because of it, riders were able to ride close together and there was overtaking. Kyle Bickley has said on facebook that it wasnt the track it was the large rain drops causing poor visability.

A race or 2 after the short break when the visitors wanted the meeting off, Dan Gilkes caught Rob Ledwith, rode a lap outside him and then took the lead, not sure if it was deliberate but it showed you could ride close to others with too many issues.

A lot of experts on here and facebook who werent even at the meeting. I had riders from both teams say the track was better then friday at NSS.

And in anycase when a track gets tricky surely it wipes out the home advantage and helps the away team. A couple of quotes from Colts riders and management after friday suggested the lead was smaller then it could of been as the rain made the traffic different to normal. So a wet track in Manchester helps the away team and an equally wet track in Kent's helps the home team!?!?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Why would the ref need to inspect the track as no one fell because of it, riders were able to ride close together and there was overtaking. Kyle Bickley has said on facebook that it wasnt the track it was the large rain drops causing poor visability.

A race or 2 after the short break when the visitors wanted the meeting off, Dan Gilkes caught Rob Ledwith, rode a lap outside him and then took the lead, not sure if it was deliberate but it showed you could ride close to others with too many issues.

A lot of experts on here and facebook who werent even at the meeting. I had riders from both teams say the track was better then friday at NSS.

And in anycase when a track gets tricky surely it wipes out the home advantage and helps the away team. A couple of quotes from Colts riders and management after friday suggested the lead was smaller then it could of been as the rain made the traffic different to normal. So a wet track in Manchester helps the away team and an equally wet track in Kent's helps the home team!?!?!

team that win celebrate, teams that lose moan - nothing changes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

All treated with complete disregard and disrespect, just to deliver a deadline..

A deadline that could, and should, be moved to much earlier in the year given how many weeks no Speedway takes place, which would then provide plenty of reserved nights for rain offs/fixture clashes etc..

When those who run the sport treat their showpiece events so poorly, then why really should the fans bother?

So we have to wait for an absolutely perfect race track before a play off can be run.  I would say the track at B V on Friday was no better & no complaints from any riders then.  How many B V riders did not want to ride at the start of the meeting? The only complaints were from heat 7 when they were a long way behind & the team manager wanted the meeting stopped. I think both sets of riders should be congratulated on making it an entertaining meeting & over the 2 legs Kent were the better team & deserved to win. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

So we have to wait for an absolutely perfect race track before a play off can be run.  I would say the track at B V on Friday was no better & no complaints from any riders then.  How many B V riders did not want to ride at the start of the meeting? The only complaints were from heat 7 when they were a long way behind & the team manager wanted the meeting stopped. I think both sets of riders should be congratulated on making it an entertaining meeting & over the 2 legs Kent were the better team & deserved to win. 

And with 2 such young and talented teams the losing riders were always going to get future shots at glory anyway.

But HGould has summed it up, in conditions like that the winning team will always say it's fine, and the losing team will say it should of been stopped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flipper11 said:

We do not wait for a perfect track.....we get these playoffs done and dusted by end of August....not in October when we get rain and cold weather (shock horror).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

Spot on Mike.....sums it up nicely.

Credit where credits due Kent were better in two tricky conditions, will they touch Leicester over 2 legs? I’ll be amazed. 

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

Credit where credits due Kent were better in two tricky conditions, will they touch Leicester over 2 legs? I’ll be amazed. 

If Swindon make the final, Leicester will probably be without Perks next Monday.

21 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

If Swindon make the final, Leicester will probably be without Perks next Monday.

All because of the ridiculous decisions to run the play offs so late in the year. As much as im willing Swindon to get through if Leicester have to head into one of the biggest meetings of the year without their number one its makes a mockery of the sport.

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

All because of the ridiculous decisions to run the play offs so late in the year. As much as im willing Swindon to get through if Leicester have to head into one of the biggest meetings of the year without their number one its makes a mockery of the sport.

I go back over many many seasons. The weather in October is quite often very dry....admittedly chilly, but perfectly OK to run Speedway.  We have some VERY wet

weather during the so-called Summer which is one of the reasons that Finals and semi finals of all competitions generally get staged in October. The Clever Dicks

on this forum seek the unattainable, perfect warm Sunny conditions on perfectly prepared tracks.  Dream On and get real.  I was at Central Park on Monday night

and the rain started just as the meeting got under way.  The ref' got on  with things and the riders performed as if it was dry and dusty. The rain did not spoil the racing

and we saw any number of close passes. To the onlooker, like myself, it seemed as if the Kent riders wanted it more.  I was back home before 9pm

Well done to all 14 riders.

• Like 1

my issues not with riding on a track thats 4-7 secs slow, not really racing tbh. Its just bloody daft not getting things wrapped up earlier in the season. Too many sides have daft filler meetings in mid season, have them at the end and people can be assed to go to em gd luck

• Like 2