British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ruckerroo

Kent v belle vue play off semi 2nd leg tonight

50 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I go back over many many seasons. The weather in October is quite often very dry....admittedly chilly, but perfectly OK to run Speedway.  We have some VERY wet

weather during the so-called Summer which is one of the reasons that Finals and semi finals of all competitions generally get staged in October. The Clever Dicks

on this forum seek the unattainable, perfect warm Sunny conditions on perfectly prepared tracks.  Dream On and get real.  I was at Central Park on Monday night

and the rain started just as the meeting got under way.  The ref' got on  with things and the riders performed as if it was dry and dusty. The rain did not spoil the racing

and we saw any number of close passes. To the onlooker, like myself, it seemed as if the Kent riders wanted it more.  I was back home before 9pm

Well done to all 14 riders.

The Clever Dicks don't want the unattainable what they would like is to see two well matched sides compete on two tracks that allow the talented riders from both sides to do what they are capable of and that is race as hard as their abilities allow. Sadly due to the early season National Trophy matches, KO cups etc we are facing a race to get fixtures completed on cold, dark and wet nights. If the fixtures were due in August and it rained as can happen there would still be plenty of usable dates left to reschedule. Instead the paying public have been short changed over these two legs and may well suffer the same again in the finals.   

• Like 4

If conditions were as bad as some people are making out, surely the meeting would have been abandoned after heat 13 when a result was confirmed. The riders must have been happy to continue.

57 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I go back over many many seasons. The weather in October is quite often very dry....admittedly chilly, but perfectly OK to run Speedway.  We have some VERY wet

weather during the so-called Summer which is one of the reasons that Finals and semi finals of all competitions generally get staged in October. The Clever Dicks

on this forum seek the unattainable, perfect warm Sunny conditions on perfectly prepared tracks.  Dream On and get real.  I was at Central Park on Monday night

and the rain started just as the meeting got under way.  The ref' got on  with things and the riders performed as if it was dry and dusty. The rain did not spoil the racing

and we saw any number of close passes. To the onlooker, like myself, it seemed as if the Kent riders wanted it more.  I was back home before 9pm

Well done to all 14 riders.

So you do not have a better chance of dryer,warmer weather in August than you do in October?  

You should have the League decided earlier in the season,end of.

Leicester now have TWO.....2 leg Finals to squeeze in! I understand Father Christmas is going to present the trophy? :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

All because of the ridiculous decisions to run the play offs so late in the year. As much as im willing Swindon to get through if Leicester have to head into one of the biggest meetings of the year without their number one its makes a mockery of the sport.

We have enough problems with doubling up,  but trebling up just makes it ridiculous

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HGould said:

team that win celebrate, teams that lose moan - nothing changes.

I don't think that this is as prevalent in Speedway (UK) as it is in other sports.

I think most fans realise (given the way that they are ran) that the competitions are very much secondary to the entertainment that's delivered on track..

Most fans would, I suggest, take a great meeting, and a defeat, over a win delivered via extremely poor racing, ten seconds slower than normal..

I think the majority of fans are now very much "Speedway First" and "Team Second" in their list of priorities such is the way that emotional attachment has been eroded over the years due to the often contrived way the comps are ran..

I think promoters need to respect those views and keep these people loyal as lose these die hards and the sport is really on it's backside..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ruckerroo said:

Imy issues not with riding on a track thats 4-7 secs slow, not really racing tbh. Its just bloody daft not getting things wrapped up earlier in the season. Too many sides have daft filler meetings in mid season, have them at the end and people can be assed to go to em gd luck

But it happens every year doesn't it?

What should be money spinners for successful teams become much diluted due to fans picking and choosing which 'Play off/Final' to attend..

Look how Workington suffered last year cramming in so many meetings..

Riding in October on the old machinery was also somewhat different too I would suggest, as the modern bike seems to struggle getting around heavy wet tracks much more than it's predecessors..

Other sports with different leagues run their finals seperately to ensure all get a good level of media coverage without anything to take away the limelight..

Whereas Speedway seem to have all three divisions ending at the same time..

And as Speedway shares competitors, unlike the other sports, it makes it even more ridiculous I would suggest to try and cram them all in if you want to maintain some credibility and avoid inevitable guestfests as the 'one size fits all' deadline day looms..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocket007 said:

If conditions were as bad as some people are making out, surely the meeting would have been abandoned after heat 13 when a result was confirmed. The riders must have been happy to continue.

The referee refused to come down to do a track inspection despite being asked couple of times. A track where times were 10-12 seconds slower then the track record is not good, there were multiple fallers, if it had been a more senior meeting it never would have carried on or started, these younger riders were told to get on with it.

17 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Video of what conditions were like :

Speedway?......more like SLOW-WAY! :D

Notice the stands are not packed....surprise?

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The Clever Dicks don't want the unattainable what they would like is to see two well matched sides compete on two tracks that allow the talented riders from both sides to do what they are capable of and that is race as hard as their abilities allow. Sadly due to the early season National Trophy matches, KO cups etc we are facing a race to get fixtures completed on cold, dark and wet nights. If the fixtures were due in August and it rained as can happen there would still be plenty of usable dates left to reschedule. Instead the paying public have been short changed over these two legs and may well suffer the same again in the finals.   

I don't feel short changed after last night. Going straight from work in London in dodgy weather, i was just grateful to see a meeting. Those young riders who put on a show in horrendous conditions deserve great credit. A lot of senior league riders wouldn't have warmed their bikes up, let alone ride.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I don't feel short changed after last night. Going straight from work in London in dodgy weather, i was just grateful to see a meeting. Those young riders who put on a show in horrendous conditions deserve great credit. A lot of senior league riders wouldn't have warmed their bikes up, let alone ride.

A therein lies one of the great differences between current speedway followers. Some are happy to watch a meeting whatever the circumstances & conditions whereas others are looking for more than riders going round an oval(ish) track for their hard earner pounds. I take nothing away from the riders last night (although lets face it many have been well backed this season and certainly want to keep their respective clubs sweet) they put on a meeting that i agree would not have started at higher levels but my personal choice was to stay away as i didn't see it as an attractive meeting and at £15 riders slipping about in puddles and a constant threat of an early call off was never going to get me anywhere near the track.

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

The referee refused to come down to do a track inspection despite being asked couple of times. A track where times were 10-12 seconds slower then the track record is not good, there were multiple fallers, if it had been a more senior meeting it never would have carried on or started, these younger riders were told to get on with it.

Does anyone  (the Clerk of the Course?) have to keep an official log of these requests does anyone know?

I am sure the EHO would be very interested in what dialogue took place previously should anything serious (or heaven forbid) tragic happen to a rider..

In my business I have to show plenty of due diligence when it comes to the welfare of staff and customers so I would imagine in a sport as dangerous as Speedway, this due diligence must be several times my requirements of running a store..

Who risks prosecution should they be found to be negligent in their undertakings?

Today litigious society must focus the mind I would think on not taking any undue risks with the riders?

Getting that fine line correct between a meeting being on, or not, must be a very difficult one on occasions for all concerned..

Damned if you do and damned if you don't I would imagine from a safety perspective, but I would think the entertainment factor also needs to have a very high priority when deciding whether to run or not..

Edited by mikebv

I was at the meeting last night - unlike some of the posters on this topic.

The riders from both teams need to be thanked for riding in such conditions. The Kent riders were definitely up for the meeting and sadly with the exception of Palin and Flint the Belle Vue riders were not really interested in competing. Overtaking was possible - ask Dan Gilkes and Anders Rowe. After all, the conditions were the same for both teams.

The heat times, which are really irrelevant, were only 5 or 6 seconds slower than the previous meeting at Central Park - 60/61s  average for the Kent Laurels and 65/66s average for last night.

The message here is to the BSPA - DO NOT schedule play off matches (across all three leagues) for this late in the season.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

A therein lies one of the great differences between current speedway followers. Some are happy to watch a meeting whatever the circumstances & conditions whereas others are looking for more than riders going round an oval(ish) track for their hard earner pounds. I take nothing away from the riders last night (although lets face it many have been well backed this season and certainly want to keep their respective clubs sweet) they put on a meeting that i agree would not have started at higher levels but my personal choice was to stay away as i didn't see it as an attractive meeting and at £15 riders slipping about in puddles and a constant threat of an early call off was never going to get me anywhere near the track.

Far too sensible post. :t:

Could not agree more.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

For speedway starved fans in the south east, beggars can't be choosers. I will always gamble at a local track, but as for travelling long distances, i couldn't entertain it.