Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Fortythirtyeight

Well done the S.C.B.

A young rider being upset by a crash he is involved in. Not a case to say he should "toughen up" but any competitor has to face that possibility, many times.

A young rider being excluded (sorry disqualified) unfairly. Get used to it, it won't be the last time.

An official being fined for some unspecified offence. Not acceptable. A statement stating the offence, in detail, the reasoning, the regulations that were contravened and the logic behind the punishment are requiremed of any governing body. 

We saw recently an appeal by Craig Cook upheld and the punishment revised without any satisfactory explanation.

The SCB adopt an independent oversight of the sport (unlike the BSPA). They rule, because it's necessary to have such a body, but they're not a dictatorship. They have a rule book by which we all abide, fans included. It is published and open to scrutiny. By the same token, the application of those rules, must be open, transparent and consistent. We, of the social media community, are quite capable of making up all sorts of conspiracies in the absence of irrefutable facts. Mr (or Mrs) SCB, sit in splendid isolation and hand down your pronouncements, without explanation, at your peril. 

7 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

There are always two sides to a story. Some very interesting comments here. I'm not going to comment on who's right or wrong but something must have taken place in the refs box for the fine to be dished out. As someone has already pointed out if the person feels that strongly they should appeal. 

What I will say is if the young rider in question was truly "traumatized" at being excluded then he is not in the correct frame of mind to be riding speedway bikes. I would suggest the young lad take up a more gentle hobby of flower arrangements or bird watching than racing a fast machine with no brakes.  

Having done countless disciplinary hearings I have always found that there are usually THREE sides to every story...

With my job trying to find the third one... :D

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I think some of us have a really good idea of who "fortythiryeight" is  ;)

I guess he's "Happy"

1 hour ago, Parsy29 said:

Ive just seen all of this and didn't really want to get involved to be honest. Ive paid my fine but would just like to put the above record straight if you can hear me out.

I was and still am ( at present ) the Redcar Cubs team manager. The above incident as Pottering Around has indicated did occur while Redcar and Ashfield were racing.

The actions had nothing whatsoever to do with the result. We as a team have brought on local youngsters as much as possible and winning although great certainly would not get me to lose the plot as suggested.

The referee I will say has got the story completly wrong with the suggestion I stormed the box. Actually I knocked and waited until whoever was sitting next to the door gestured for me to enter. On entering I asked to speak to the referee and the same chap told me this was him. I then tried to show him the video which he then screamed at me to GET OUT. Whether he checked with his staff before he wrote his report I don't know but I knocked and waited and DID NOT storm any box. I  said that he had made a huge error and that my junior rider was being accused of something he had not done. I then turned around and left without swearing or any aggressive behaviour whatsoever. Yes I was angry but the only part that maybe I would have changed was closing the door a little harder than I should have.

I believe what I did to be wrong, I should not have done it a regret that in the heat of the moment looking after my young riders got in the way of my sensible decisions. 

I then heard nothing for about a month before I  received a email saying I had been fined and had to pay in 28 days. No one asked for any explanation or anything on my part. I did reply with my side of the story but apart from an appeal procedure this has not been acknowledged or anything.

I love my Speedway, Ive been a supporter for 40 years, a rider for the last 4 years and now a team manager spending thousands in the process. I don't get paid a penny for any of this and feel a stern warning as to future conduct would have been surfice of a punishment for a first offence. I never thretened anyone, I never even swore at anyone but that's £100 I've now had to pay.

Maybe at the end of the season it may just be better to abandon what is becoming more and more a sinking ship.

Best Regards

Gavin  

Fair play mate. You probably should have appealed though. I really do commend your commitment and enthusiasm for bringing on young riders and if that is what you want to do then I take my hat off to you. But if you are putting so much money into doing it can I just say this based on personal experience. Not all but some of these riders are spoilt brats who will have a rant/strop at their dads in the pits even though it is their dads who are paying for their very expensive hobby. Some riders will get bored and quit when they get to 16 and start partying and chasing girls. Some will be more talented and stick with it. Even more so if their ego's are boosted by arse licker's and groupies. Will the clubs (promoters) thank you for your efforts in providing their next asset? Will they at least token compensate you something for all the time and effort you have put into their new asset? Will they f**k. Do you even think the riders will give a damn for you when they have reached the heights of the Elite League (sorry Premiership)? Probably 2 or 3 will stay mates and appreciate the time you put aside for them. Most will simply treat you as a stepping stone and some enthusiastic mug who did something along the line. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

Fair play mate. You probably should have appealed though. I really do commend your commitment and enthusiasm for bringing on young riders and if that is what you want to do then I take my hat off to you. But if you are putting so much money into doing it can I just say this based on personal experience. Not all but some of these riders are spoilt brats who will have a rant/strop at their dads in the pits even though it is their dads who are paying for their very expensive hobby. Some riders will get bored and quit when they get to 16 and start partying and chasing girls. Some will be more talented and stick with it. Even more so if their ego's are boosted by arse licker's and groupies. Will the clubs (promoters) thank you for your efforts in providing their next asset? Will they at least token compensate you something for all the time and effort you have put into their new asset? Will they f**k. Do you even think the riders will give a damn for you when they have reached the heights of the Elite League (sorry Premiership)? Probably 2 or 3 will stay mates and appreciate the time you put aside for them. Most will simply treat you as a stepping stone and some enthusiastic mug who did something along the line. 

You obviously don't know the Redcar promotion.

4 hours ago, Parsy29 said:

Ive just seen all of this and didn't really want to get involved to be honest. Ive paid my fine but would just like to put the above record straight if you can hear me out.

I was and still am ( at present ) the Redcar Cubs team manager. The above incident as Pottering Around has indicated did occur while Redcar and Ashfield were racing.

The actions had nothing whatsoever to do with the result. We as a team have brought on local youngsters as much as possible and winning although great certainly would not get me to lose the plot as suggested.

The referee I will say has got the story completly wrong with the suggestion I stormed the box. Actually I knocked and waited until whoever was sitting next to the door gestured for me to enter. On entering I asked to speak to the referee and the same chap told me this was him. I then tried to show him the video which he then screamed at me to GET OUT. Whether he checked with his staff before he wrote his report I don't know but I knocked and waited and DID NOT storm any box. I  said that he had made a huge error and that my junior rider was being accused of something he had not done. I then turned around and left without swearing or any aggressive behaviour whatsoever. Yes I was angry but the only part that maybe I would have changed was closing the door a little harder than I should have.

I believe what I did to be wrong, I should not have done it a regret that in the heat of the moment looking after my young riders got in the way of my sensible decisions. 

I then heard nothing for about a month before I  received a email saying I had been fined and had to pay in 28 days. No one asked for any explanation or anything on my part. I did reply with my side of the story but apart from an appeal procedure this has not been acknowledged or anything.

I love my Speedway, Ive been a supporter for 40 years, a rider for the last 4 years and now a team manager spending thousands in the process. I don't get paid a penny for any of this and feel a stern warning as to future conduct would have been surfice of a punishment for a first offence. I never thretened anyone, I never even swore at anyone but that's £100 I've now had to pay.

Maybe at the end of the season it may just be better to abandon what is becoming more and more a sinking ship.

Best Regards

Gavin  

Who was the ref a local with a scotch accent ??

2 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Who was the ref a local with a scotch accent ??

Do you mean, had he been drinking?

• Haha 1

Just now, foamfence said:

Do you mean, had he been drinking?

No just wondered which clown it was 

Thought he had more sense , seems a but harsh when u think what else has happened this season.

5 hours ago, Parsy29 said:

Best Regards

Gavin  

Good to hear your version of things tho does go slightly away from what the original fella said - i thought he said you went in there to get the ref to address it as racing incident and to reassure the rider in order to continue his career ?

Sounds like you went in there without his permission to show him some unofficial video (where was it from by the way ?  club video guy or someone randomly filming from the crowd/pits) in order to change his mind. You've not "stormed" the box i guess but you certainly didn't have the ref or clerk of the course permission to be there.  Being beckoned in by an extra in the box doesn't give you the right and as TM you probably know that. 

I don't know how long you've been managing the team, but i'm sure older heads in the role would give you sound advice here that chasing a decision like this no matter how poor you think it is, isn't the way to do things. There's standing up for your team and there's this.  This was a rider type reaction imo.  Not a managers one.

It's all very noble to do what you did but the reality is that it was a crazy thing to do - he was never gonna change his mind was he..

I will apologise for this in advance, but your last sentence is frankly daft - if you're gonna abandon speedway, then do that, but to use this as some kind of reason of a supposed sinking ship is stupid.  You caused this..

Also, if you don't wanna pay, just don't pay then - it only stops you from getting licensed again i believe if you don't pay up. 

Cheers

Edited by The Doctor...

34 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Good to hear your version of things tho does go slightly away from what the original fella said - i thought he said you went in there to get the ref to address it as racing incident and to reassure the rider in order to continue his career ?

Sounds like you went in there without his permission to show him some unofficial video (where was it from by the way ?  club video guy or someone randomly filming from the crowd/pits) in order to change his mind. You've not "stormed" the box i guess but you certainly didn't have the ref or clerk of the course permission to be there.  Being beckoned in by an extra in the box doesn't give you the right and as TM you probably know that. 

I don't know how long you've been managing the team, but i'm sure older heads in the role would give you sound advice here that chasing a decision like this no matter how poor you think it is, isn't the way to do things. There's standing up for your team and there's this.  This was a rider type reaction imo.  Not a managers one.

It's all very noble to do what you did but the reality is that it was a crazy thing to do - he was never gonna change his mind was he..

I will apologise for this in advance, but your last sentence is frankly daft - if you're gonna abandon speedway, then do that, but to use this as some kind of reason of a supposed sinking ship is stupid.  You caused this..

Also, if you don't wanna pay, just don't pay then - it only stops you from getting licensed again i believe if you don't pay up. 

Cheers

How similar to a certain Racers team manager who didn`t quite agree that Mark Lemon had been beat for the vital 3rd place in the pairs semi at Somerset- a decision that sent the "home" team through to the final. The video cameraman said it wasn`t even close and the photo  published in the speedway star showed it to be half a wheel at least !!!! the team manager certainly didn`t ask for permission to speak to Mr Flint and i think the fine was more than £100

Edited by racers and royals

7 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

How similar to a certain Racers team manager who didn`t quite agree that Mark Lemon had been beat for the vital 3rd place in the pairs at Somerset- a decision that sent the "home" team through to the final. The video cameraman said it wasn`t even close and the still published in the speedway star showed it to be half a wheel at least !!!! the team manager certainly didn`t ask for permission to speak to Mr flint and i think the fine was more than £100

Cor yeh i remember that. That was a shocker.  Our manager was a very noble knowledgeable chap who knew the rulebook inside out, so if ever got a fine, we always knew it was for good reason!

Edited by The Doctor...