British Speedway Forum

Split Waterman RIP

Bob Andrews has sent me this message. It reads: "Sad news I have just heard that Split Waterman has died. He passed away in his sleep at 9am on 8th. October in his home in Spain. R.I.P. Split.He was in his 96th.Year."

Edited by Guest

R.I.P. 'Split'. +

One of the most famous names in Speedway.

• Like 1

One of my boyhood hero's who brightened up the grey and bleak  immediate post war days

I remember him riding at BV in 1962, bit of a joker involved in centre green antics in the interval.

So sad. One of the greatest speedway characters of all time and one of the greatest riders of all time. He was one of my heroes in the 50s and 60s. He was in the first race I ever saw. 

• Like 1

That really is sad news...

Sad news indeed.

May he RIP.

I first saw Split Waterman on May 14 1947 when he rode for Wembley at New Cross. He scored four points as the Lions trounced the home side 51-33.

Edited by Guest

Sad to hear. Did a national paper run an obituary or would it more likely be in the next few days ?