British Speedway Forum

Split Waterman RIP

The irony of Wikipedia's action is that under Spanish  law people who die are usually buried within 24 hours. The only exception would be if further investigation was needed in regard to death or if in Split's case the body was being returned to UK for burial.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Wikipedia strikes again Robbie B. Your update appears to have been removed by them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_Waterman

Hi Gustrix

I have found the reason why it keeps disappearing. Under Wikipedia policies edit relating to someone's passing must be supported with reference to their passing ie a website news story. As I cannot find a website reporting the sad news regarding Spilt Waterman yet Wikipedia will keep removing this oticfaction until it is supported with evidence.

1 hour ago, Robbie B said:

Hi Gustrix

I have found the reason why it keeps disappearing. Under Wikipedia policies edit relating to someone's passing must be supported with reference to their passing ie a website news story. As I cannot find a website reporting the sad news regarding Spilt Waterman yet Wikipedia will keep removing this oticfaction until it is supported with evidence.

Hi Gustrix

Yes,  that's the reason they removed mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbie B said:

Hi Gustrix

The sad death of Split Waterman is widely activated on various Facebook forums. I am not sure FB links can be posted here - or recognised by Wikipedia.

Thank you Robbie B.

I think that we will have to await an official and reliable source of information such as Speedway GB or the Seedway Star to publish something relating to this sad news on their website and I can referenced it from there directly to Wikipedia  before they will accept the posting someone's passing. I can fully understand Wikipedia policy asit can be edited by anyone and they do know who we are, and whether the information we post is true.

• Like 1

I think that we will have to await an official and reliable source of information such as Speedway GB or the Seedway Star to publish something relating to this sad news on their website and I can referenced it from there directly to Wikipedia  before they will accept the posting someone's passing. I can fully understand Wikipedia policy asit can be edited by anyone and they do know who we are, and whether the information we post is true.

That's weird, though.  I have updated a number of wikipedia pages over the years, and I have never had an issue.  Unless they are really clamping down on things.

Sure there have been many who have been announced dead, who were still alive. Maybe gustix can knock up an obituary on one of the sites he does articles for and then it can be used as proof ? Or surely a local paper in Spain has announced the death of a celebritiy like Split? Gustix knowledge of Spanish and the area can come in useful here

Split in happier times

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/portrait-of-speedway-driver-split-waterman-and-his-bride-news-photo/537196177

Edited by iris123

Gustix, any chance you could please arrange to add something to the Harringay page of the Defunct Speedway page (the track he was most synonymous with), which could then be used as a reference?

As a youngster I never had the opportunity to go to speedway, but I can remember the name Split Waterman being probably the first I ever knew of a speedway rider

45 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's weird, though.  I have updated a number of wikipedia pages over the years, and I have never had an issue.  Unless they are really clamping down on things.

I have keep the British pages updated on Wikipedia for about 3 years and that the message I received, so maybe there now clamping down on items relating to someone's passing.

Just now, Robbie B said:

I have keep the British pages updated on Wikipedia for about 3 years and that the message I received, so maybe there now clamping down on items relating to someone's passing.

Yes, I've updated many pages before as well. About a year ago I did have the same problem. It was on the page for Stanley Holloway. It was mentioned that he appeared in Concert Party in Clacton when he was first starting out. He actually appeared for three Summer seasons at the West Cliff Theatre, of which I am now Chairman. In our archives we have the old Accounts books for the period 1902-1914. In it, it gives details of how much he was paid each season, so I just thought it might be of some interest to mention how much he was paid on his Wiki Page.

So I added it and it was deleted as I didn't source it. So I added the source was the original accounts book in the West Cliff archives. They said that wasn't good enough as it had to be a printed source. Which I thought was very curious as they were willing to accept a secondary source but not a primary soirce.

3 hours ago, Robbie B said:

That appears to be the best answer to updating the Split Waterman item on Wikipedia.

13 hours ago, norbold said:

Yes, I've updated many pages before as well. About a year ago I did have the same problem. It was on the page for Stanley Holloway. It was mentioned that he appeared in Concert Party in Clacton when he was first starting out. He actually appeared for three Summer seasons at the West Cliff Theatre, of which I am now Chairman. In our archives we have the old Accounts books for the period 1902-1914. In it, it gives details of how much he was paid each season, so I just thought it might be of some interest to mention how much he was paid on his Wiki Page.

So I added it and it was deleted as I didn't source it. So I added the source was the original accounts book in the West Cliff archives. They said that wasn't good enough as it had to be a printed source. Which I thought was very curious as they were willing to accept a secondary source but not a primary soirce.

Personally norbold I think has to do with which moderator is dealing with an issue. As before this league season started my account was blocked by Wikipedia for updating speedway pages as the previous year I have put links on the British speedway pages directly to Speedway GB and they mistakenly thought that I was associated with them by providing these links to their websites. So for this season I have linked everything to club websites, although this is useful, but unlike the Speedway GB links these will disappear in time as clubs close, or when they change their website, but nowadays Speedway GB achieve their web pages along with the page names.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 6:08 PM, lucifer sam said:

Gustix, any chance you could please arrange to add something to the Harringay page of the Defunct Speedway page (the track he was most synonymous with), which could then be used as a reference?

That is an idea lucifer sam. But I think an item on a forum would also be rejected by Wikipedia. The best idea as mentioned previously in this thread is to wait for the sad news to appear in 'Speedway Star' then pass the item on to Wikipedia for the update.

Edited by Guest

Fantastic video - at 22.15 he stops so suddenly - it seems as if he has used a brake.

Edited by spinkox
error