British Speedway Forum

Split Waterman RIP

16 hours ago, gustix said:

That is an idea lucifer sam. But I think an item on a forum would also be rejected by Wikipedia.

The Defunct Speedway website is not a forum. I can see why comments on a forum would be rejected, but would they do that to a standard website? Would Wikipedia staff go through every website to check for its authenticity and legitimacy?

Steve

On 10/10/2019 at 6:08 PM, lucifer sam said:

Gustix, any chance you could please arrange to add something to the Harringay page of the Defunct Speedway page (the track he was most synonymous with), which could then be used as a reference?

17 hours ago, gustix said:

That is an idea lucifer sam. But I think an item on a forum would also be rejected by Wikipedia. The best idea as mentioned previously in this thread is to wait for the sad news to appear in 'Speedway Star' then pass the item on to Wikipedia for the update.

My apologies lucifer sam for describing a website as a forum.

4 hours ago, gustix said:

My apologies lucifer sam for describing a website as a forum.

No problem. It was just an idea that Wikipedia might accept a link to a website such as the Defunct Speedway website. 

I only picked up now that my “namesake” is no longer with us.

So sad to hear that Split has died but his name will come up again and again as one of the best riders (or maybe THE best rider?)  never to be crowned World Champion.

• Like 1

As a postscript to the debate about citing a reference to the date of Split''s death, I have just looked up a number of other deceased speedway riders on Wikipedia. Although all of them give the date of death, not one of them has a citation.

Edited by norbold

Seeme to be one person calling himself "michig" on Wikipedia who keeps deleting stuff every time someone adds the news of Split Waterman's death.

I see Norbold and others have updated the news several times.   Each time it's the same idiot who undoes it.

5 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Seeme to be one person calling himself "michig" on Wikipedia who keeps deleting stuff every time someone adds the news of Split Waterman's death.

I see Norbold and others have updated the news several times.   Each time it's the same idiot who undoes it.

Is there some way this guy michig and his actions can be queried with Wikipedia?

4 minutes ago, gustix said:

Is there some way this guy michig and his actions can be queried with Wikipedia?

Apart from very, very basic editing, I have no idea how Wikipedia works.   Maybe Norbold is more clued up?

As far as I understand michig is one of the site's administrators.

6 minutes ago, norbold said:

As far as I understand michig is one of the site's administrators.

Yes and it looks like they want to discuss any edits rather than people just doing them. As it mentions, this is a bit ott, but better to talk than just going round in circles 

As has been previously mentioned the answer is for a BSF member to photocopy the report of the sad death of Split Waterman that will appear in this week's edition of 'Speedway Star'. Then forward that to Wikipedia with a note also detailing the sad loss of Split.

Unfortunately I cannot do this - I do not get 'Speedway Star' nor have a scanner to copy the news item.

Edited by Guest

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Wikipedia is designed for people to add their own entries and to add their own updates. Obviously, they do have to watch for questionable content, but this straightforward factual information. Again, many of us have updated the site on a number of occasions with no problems whatsoever, but this seems totally ridiculous.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

As has been previously mentioned the answer is for a BSF member to photocopy the report of the sad death of Split Waterman that will appear in this week's edition of 'Speedway Star'. Then forward that to Wikipedia with a note also detailing the sad loss of Split.

Unfortunately I cannot do this - I do not get 'Speedway Star' nor have a scanner to copy the news item.

You don't have to scan in anything and send it to them, you just need to cite the date of the Speedway Star it appears in.

4 hours ago, chunky said:

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Wikipedia is designed for people to add their own entries and to add their own updates. Obviously, they do have to watch for questionable content, but this straightforward factual information. Again, many of us have updated the site on a number of occasions with no problems whatsoever, but this seems totally ridiculous.

In that case you could inform Wikipedia of the erroneous assertion that California (nr. Wokingham) is a village, it might help to cheer up your pal the doctor.