British Speedway Forum

Split Waterman RIP

28 minutes ago, JOS50 said:

In that case you could inform Wikipedia of the erroneous assertion that California (nr. Wokingham) is a village, it might help to cheer up your pal the doctor.

Perhaps you need to understand what wikipedia and parishes are before you make "clever" comments fella. 

You've been made to look foolish on the other thread, maybe keep your head down unless you know what you're talking about eh.

#headway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JOS50 said:

In that case you could inform Wikipedia of the erroneous assertion that California (nr. Wokingham) is a village, it might help to cheer up your pal the doctor.

That is not my responsibility, and if we can't get Split Waterman's passing on there, what makes you think we could get anything else changed?  Have you ever considered that YOU may be wrong, and that this particular entry in Wikipedia may be inaccurate?

I don't just assume that everything I read is correct (particularly if there is a question about it), so I will conduct my own research.  I have always been under the impression that California (or California-in-England was not an actual place name, more a term applied to a certain area.  I didn't actually know the history of the place until now, and so far, what I have found seems to agree with what The Doctor has said.  The ONLY reference to California as a village is that single entry on wikipedia, which was submitted by an individual claiming supposed knowledge of the subject.  We all know that due to the origins of the information on there, it is not 100% accurate.

Steering away from wikipedia, a couple of the main resources I checked were detailed (and, it would seem, pretty accurate) gazetteer of towns and villages in Berkshire, and one of towns and parishes in Berkshire.  There is no reference to it as a village, hamlet, parish, or any other locale with the actual name of California.  All reference to "California: or "California-in-England" concerns the park.

More to the point, if California WAS a true village or hamlet, then I am pretty sure it would appear on a map of the area.   I have yet to find a map on which it is shown, other than in reference to the park.

• Like 2

Please!!!! Can we just debate Split Waterman on this thread? There is already a thread debating California. It's title is California name debate

6 hours ago, gustix said:

There is already a thread debating California. It's title is California name debate

Really? I had no idea! I do apologize most sincerely...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, gustix said:

Please!!!! Can we just debate Split Waterman on this thread? There is already a thread debating California. It's title is California name debate

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Really? I had no idea! I do apologize most sincerely...

This thread title is Split Waterman RIP.

4 minutes ago, gustix said:

This thread title is Split Waterman RIP.

So sorry... Must have missed that!

7 hours ago, gustix said:

Blimey that`s rich coming from you- you tried to totally disrupt my " speedway on TV and the internet in 2019 " thread by posting several times  about wrestling on TV !!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

Blimey that`s rich coming from you- you tried to totally disrupt my " speedway on TV and the internet in 2019 " thread by posting several times  about wrestling on TV !!!!!!!

Sadly that is correct. In times when I had a more sceptical outlook on BSF postings. Now realise how ridiculous some past comments by me have been. Apologies.

51 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Did anyone see the message ‘stop adding date of death until someone can source it properly’ ? Also some semi-protection template has been added, whatever that means

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:MobileDiff/921175239

I am completely bewildered by Wikipedia on the issue regarding the death of Split Waterman. A most interesting comment on your part iris123.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

I guess giving the person the benefit of the doubt, there does seem to be a previous incident of announcing his death prematurely or at least a false rumour 

7 minutes ago, gustix said:

Sadly that is correct. In times when I had a more sceptical outlook on BSF postings. Now realise how ridiculous some past comments by me have been. Apologies.

Apology accepted

31 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I guess giving the person the benefit of the doubt, there does seem to be a previous incident of announcing his death prematurely or at least a false rumour 

That happens - it always has - but this seems a little over the top! I can see it with a real household name, but not with a speedway rider...

I have just visited Wikipedia Split Waterman and looked at the 'references' mentioned by them. One is from much-respected speedway author Norman Jacobs - whose latest updates in regard to Split's death they have rejected!

It's a strange world!!!!

17 minutes ago, gustix said:

I have just visited Wikipedia Split Waterman and looked at the 'references' mentioned by them. One is from much-respected speedway author Norman Jacobs - whose latest updates in regard to Split's death they have rejected!

It's a strange world!!!!

I have already posted the reason given...