British Speedway Forum

Split Waterman RIP

27 minutes ago, gustix said:

I have just visited Wikipedia Split Waterman and looked at the 'references' mentioned by them. One is from much-respected speedway author Norman Jacobs - whose latest updates in regard to Split's death they have rejected!

It's a strange world!!!!

9 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I have already posted the reason given... 

Thank you! I will research to your previous Post on this particular item.

I have visited the 'Speedway Star' website in regard to items in the current edition. It mentions Split Waterman. This means the information sought my Wikipedia in regard to his death is now available.

I lack the skill to call up the information but am confident there are fellow BSF members who can now stir the much needed updated information Wikipedia has been so adamant in requesting. 

https://www.speedwaystar.net

• Premiership Play-off semi-final • Championship Play-off semi-final • Championship Knockout Cup Final • Premiership or Championship racing next year for Poole? • Gary Guglielmi • Obituary: Split Waterman • News from around the British Leagues • Around the Globe • Grasstrack.
Edited by Guest
updated

Back to the topic. I only ever saw Split once, in an exhibition "match race" with Barry Briggs in 1960 at Old Meadowbank. He rode for New Cross and Ian Hoskins dad ran it hence the appearance. Still good then. 

On reflection concerning Wikipedia, I think we owe them thanks in regard to the late Split Waterman.

Not only will he always be 'live' in the mind of many speedway followers but now also live forever on the once much esteemed Wikipedia.

Edited by Guest

Well after a bit of a delay, it looks like Wikipedia have accepted that Split is no longer with us, thanks to the Star obituary

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well after a bit of a delay, it looks like Wikipedia have accepted that Split is no longer with us, thanks to the Star obituary

Thank you for the update iris123. You are correct and the Wikipedia update now reads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_Waterman

Edited by Guest

Wow, just read the Split obit in wikipaedia Re the section on his later life I knew he'd been a guest of Her Majesty but didn't know the details or the subsequent Spanish caper. What the heck was he doing with the sub machine guns!! A swashbuckling life indeed-need a few more like him on the streets of Londonistan these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, norbold said:

Londonistan??? What's that supposed to mean? :mad:

I'm glad you said something...

Some folks here who have visited there from North America(maybe not Loveland Steve but a lot of Canucks go back and forth)-

they've  found the demographics have changed  exponentially over the last number of years-dare I say it because of immigration from South East Asia, Africa etc.-there have also been a couple of books e.g. by a British author named Michelle something (I want to say Phillips-but am not sure if I am mixing her up with Michelle Phillips of the Mama's and Papa's.). To see Londonistan walk around Tower Hamlets and around the East London former white working class districts- go to Plaistow and walk around there-Plashet Road etc. Hence the name-not a criticism but that's what people see. Having said that obviously there are a lot of "nice" areas- but where did all the old working class folks go who used to run the old corner stores go maybe to new towns like Basildon etc.  East End London sure ain't like Britain anymore. No disrespect to Londoners intended- but hence Londonistan

6 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Some folks here who have visited there from North America(maybe not Loveland Steve but a lot of Canucks go back and forth)-

they've  found the demographics have changed  exponentially over the last number of years-dare I say it because of immigration from South East Asia, Africa etc.-there have also been a couple of books e.g. by a British author named Michelle something (I want to say Phillips-but am not sure if I am mixing her up with Michelle Phillips of the Mama's and Papa's.). To see Londonistan walk around Tower Hamlets and around the East London former white working class districts- go to Plaistow and walk around there-Plashet Road etc. Hence the name-not a criticism but that's what people see. Having said that obviously there are a lot of "nice" areas- but where did all the old working class folks go who used to run the old corner stores go maybe to new towns like Basildon etc.  East End London sure ain't like Britain anymore. No disrespect to Londoners intended- but hence Londonistan

Immigration has happened for years. Britain - and the US - have been built by immigrants. The East End hasn't been "British" for over a century.

It seems that white immigrants are accepted, but not others. I am not in a position to complain about immigrants, knowing that I am one myself.

Things change. Places change. People change. That's life...

• Like 1

Point taken mate-but I do think crime has gone way up compared to years ago-even in the days of Kray Twins civilians, old folk tended to be off limits to violence in fact in some ways they kept the yobs under control. (this didn't apply to Jack the Hat of course).

8 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Point taken mate-but I do think crime has gone way up compared to years ago-even in the days of Kray Twins civilians, old folk tended to be off limits to violence in fact in some ways they kept the yobs under control. (this didn't apply to Jack the Hat of course).

Crime has gone up everywhere - and it's all because of a basic lack of respect. People, whatever their race, creed, colour, or nationality, think it's "all about me", and nobody respects law enforcement or authority. You can't discipline kids. Criminals don't get punished, just get a slap on the wrist, because "everybody makes mistakes", and they can be "rehabilitated". 

There are two kinds of people - good people and bad people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chunky said:

Crime has gone up everywhere - and it's all because of a basic lack of respect. People, whatever their race, creed, colour, or nationality, think it's "all about me", and nobody respects law enforcement or authority. You can't discipline kids. Criminals don't get punished, just get a slap on the wrist, because "everybody makes mistakes", and they can be "rehabilitated". 

There are two kinds of people - good people and bad people.

Plus the fact that the media continually highlights the problem which in my opinion worsens the situation.