British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Extraleague/E winner div 1/Div 2 2020 confirmed signings and news

2 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

With what you write and other stuff, one wonders if the Ekstraliga really is gonna ride or not...

I`m pretty sure it will- the TV money is so great the clubs will do everything they can to make it happen, however there is i`m sure going to be a lot happening in the transfer window as clubs will want to be competitive.(brinkmanship on both sides !!) It could be the only opportunity for the riders to earn money this season, after no  doubt spending heavily pre- season.

• Like 1

What has the public reception to these proposals been like in Poland?

Is there any hostility from non-speedway fans? ( e.g. re use of over-extended medical resources, zloty being put ahead of public health (cf some of the discussion about Premiership football restarting in England) 

9 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Interesting that Nicki Pedersen has just announced that he will not be riding in Poland under the new conditions AND pay cut.

He says that it`s more than a 50% pay cut.- not sure that`s a final decision ;)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, racers and royals said:

A few thoughts on the new Polish season decisions.

1  I wonder what sort of activity in the transfer window there will be- will clubs and riders be sensible in their decision making ?

2  Riders are going to find it strange with the 1 pit crew member only- the past norm has been at least 2 sometimes 3.

3 Not sure how the Swedish and Danish leagues are going to be able to run, as Sweden especially use a massive number of riders who ride in Poland.

4 Doyle has already come out and said he has a big decision what to do, and i`m sure riders like Woffinden, Bewley, Batchelor  etc etc will also have to make difficult decisions.

6 hours ago, f-s-p said:

With what you write and other stuff, one wonders if the Ekstraliga really is gonna ride or not...

I'm certain they will ride unless Poland get a huge spike in virus cases.   The plan is published and fixtures published.   No other sport has done that so far.

If riders like Bewley and Batchelor miss 2020 in Poland is that a huge loss ?  There will be loads of young Polish riders willing to replaced them and make a name for themselves.  

With the Polish authorities telling riders they must accept pay cuts for the good of the sport I wonder if the top overseas riders who choose to miss 2020 will be unfavourably treated in future years by sponsors and clubs. The Poles are doing there best to keep the sport alive so maybe clubs / sponsors will have long memories.  Could this encourage overseas GP riders move to Poland for five months.     

Players in other sports like cricket, golf and rugby have extended time away from home so what is the problem. Didn't one Aussie rider based in the UK say he spends 6 months in the UK every year to ride speedway.   Tell me the difference to what Poland are doing.

The use of just one mechanic could be a positive.  If it works well it will cost cut in the future. Maybe the ref will allow a little bit longer between heats for mechanical changes to be made to give something back.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Interesting that Nicki Pedersen has just announced that he will not be riding in Poland under the new conditions AND pay cut.

He is already getting abuse from Polish fans for letting the country down.   

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

He wont be the last  to stay away. 

14 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

He wont be the last  to stay away. 

Sure.     Collective strength may see the pay scale raised a little bit.     Why accept a first offer.

Edited by Mark

30 minutes ago, Mark said:

Sure.     Collective strength may see the pay scale raised a little bit.     Why accept a first offer.

What about the riders and their life’s outside speedway? It’s not all about the money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

What about the riders and their life’s outside speedway? It’s not all about the money.

We all work for money to feed our family.  But its all about the balance being right between family and wages.  It's a short career to miss a season.  Maybe these riders won't get offered a well paid deal in 2021 because of disloyalty.  

Pay rates in all sports will take a hit.   I'm pleased footballers won't be able to demand massive salaries, massive transfers and agents taking a massive cut for doing little.

16 hours ago, Mark said:

Hasn't Emil expressed similar doubts to NP. I don't see him getting the same abuse!!!!

52 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Hasn't Emil expressed similar doubts to NP. I don't see him getting the same abuse!!!!

Has Emil said he wont ride ?  Nicki Pedersen has.

19 hours ago, Mark said:

... I wonder if the top overseas riders who choose to miss 2020 will be unfavourably treated in future years by sponsors and clubs.

They are already being showered with hate messages

34 minutes ago, PolskiZuzel said:

They are already being showered with hate messages

Lovely. If that comes with the success of Polish Speedway give me failure any day. 

Confirmed Freddie Lindgren will ride in Poland.