British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

Canterbury Crusaders

On 10/13/2019 at 6:02 PM, stevehone said:

no don't watch, that's '87, the track was bloody horrible

But ALL speedway back then was far better than the modern crap. Even gustix said that four men going around in circles was boring - although I don't know if that applies to the old days?

15 hours ago, chunky said:

But ALL speedway back then was far better than the modern crap. Even gustix said that four men going around in circles was boring - although I don't know if that applies to the old days?

I've always believed that the standard of speedway reflected the relevent track. There were so many tracks back before and during "The Golden Age" and some were very questionable in shape and size. Just to quote one example Somerton Park, Newport (although there were many others during that period I could mention) It rarely produced good racing (although I'm prepared to be corrected) but I would dare to suggest that if it still existed as a a raceway the same would apply today despite the 'advancement' of bikes etc. I travelled around the UK and abroad and the racing was variable but that was very much down to the track in my opinion whereby some offered better fare than others.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I've always believed that the standard of speedway reflected the relevent track. There were so many tracks back before and during "The Golden Age" and some were very questionable in shape and size. Just to quote one example Somerton Park, Newport (although there were many others during that period I could mention) It rarely produced good racing (although I'm prepared to be corrected) but I would dare to suggest that if it still existed as a a raceway the same would apply today despite the 'advancement' of bikes etc. I travelled around the UK and abroad and the racing was variable but that was very much down to the track in my opinion whereby some offered better fare than others.

How would you rate Crayford and Milton Keynes as tracks. Steve.?

13 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

How would you rate Crayford and Milton Keynes as tracks. Steve.?

I visited Crayford the once Sid (to see Hasse Holmqvist one last time!!) and the meeting shouldn't have really taken place as it was pouring with rain. However the racing was pretty poor (understandably) but I have seen video footage and I wasn't impressed with the very tight bends catching many out. However I saw lots of speedway at  Groveway and generally the racing was pretty good...helped by the fact that 'The Cheetahs' oftened produced a win there!

Edited by steve roberts

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I visited Crayford the once Sid (to see Hasse Holmqvist one last time!!) and the meeting shouldn't have really taken place as it was pouring with rain. However the racing was pretty poor (understandably) but I have seen video footage and I wasn't impressed with the very tight bends catching many out. However I saw lots of speedway at  Goveway and generally the racing was pretty good...helped by the fact that 'The Cheetahs' oftened produced a win there!

I went to Crayford only the once a very technical track in the Woodsy years he was a rider i liked and at Eastie.Milton Keynes i went to a fair few times from 1978/79 i quite enjoyed my visits more so because i got to see the top NL boys ie) Owen (bros) Jacko, Sampson ( ect).The tracks that i really enjoyed visiting were  Hyde Rd, The Shay, Owlerton, Blackbird Rd, County Ground, Waterden Rd great days.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I went to Crayford only the once a very technical track in the Woodsy years he was a rider i liked and at Eastie.Milton Keynes i went to a fair few times from 1978/79 i quite enjoyed my visits more so because i got to see the top NL boys ie) Owen (bros) Jacko, Sampson ( ect).The tracks that i really enjoyed visiting were  Hyde Rd, The Shay, Owlerton, Blackbird Rd, County Ground, Waterden Rd great days.

Some of those tracks you listed Sid produced some good racing as they would, of course, today if still operative and vice versa. The Boulevard at Hull was a very narrow track and I'm sure the standard of racing would be similar at that venue today if still operating due to the restrictions and lack of racing lines. I've never been one to suggest that the racing was better or worse depending on the era under discussion...more to do with the standard of tracks and restrictions imposed for whatever reason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Some of those tracks you listed Sid produced some good racing as they would, of course, today if still operative and vice versa. The Boulevard at Hull was a very narrow track and I'm sure the standard of racing would be similar at that venue today if still operating due to the restrictions and lack of racing lines. I've never been one to suggest that the racing was better or worse depending on the era under discussion...more to do with the standard of tracks and restrictions imposed for whatever reason.

I would say Steve alot of tracks had a real home advantage in those days and that balanced thing's up and there were alot of homer riders then.Now i dont think that is the case mainly because the tracks have changed and the riders usually get to ride them more than once a season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I would say Steve alot of tracks had a real home advantage in those days and that balanced thing's up and there were alot of homer riders then.Now i dont think that is the case mainly because the tracks have changed and the riders usually get to ride them more than once a season.

...and, of course, track conditions have changed and vary from track to track (although that was always and still is the case I would hazzard to guess?) I recall talking to Peter Collins on the third bend at Cowley (after he had retired) supporting his son Chris and I asked him how much speedway had changed? His view was that the bikes had become too fast and that tracks in Britain hadn't changed to reflect that. Obviously Polish tracks being naturally wide and spacious riders are better able to adapt but within the confines of many British tracks for varying reasons that concept is more difficult.

Edited by steve roberts

56 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and, of course, track conditions have changed and vary from track to track (although that was always and still is the case I would hazzard to guess?) I recall talking to Peter Collins on the third bend at Cowley (after he had retired) supporting his son Chris and I asked him how much speedway had changed? His view was that the bikes had become too fast and that tracks in Britain hadn't changed to reflect that. Obviously Polish tracks being naturally wide and spacious riders are better able to adapt but within the confines of many British tracks for varying reasons that concept is more difficult.

I think that is why the track had to be changed at the Abbey Steve, the bikes have changed and the straights were to long for the bends which had been changed over the years.I preferred yesteryear racing mainly because of the variation of tracks ie) as an example. you could visit Monday to Sunday.     Exeter, Leicester, Poole, Sheffield, Hackney, Belle Vue, Eastbourne/ Mildenhall a real mixed bag.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yeah, there were many more tracks with a home advantage then because there was a much bigger variety of shapes, sizes, and surfaces.

Look at how we have lost all the big tracks - Hyde Rd, the Shay, Earle St, Custom House, Hampden Park etc... We have also lost a number of smaller tighter ones like Wimbledon and Crayford.

The surfaces aren't so varied either now because the machinery basically dictates what we can and can't use. We used to have fine sand-like tracks and heavy cinder tracks, and the bikes - and riders - could handle everything.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

With the benefit of hindsight I would willingly pay twice the entrance fee at just about any track  just to see Les Collins even on an average day by his usual standards. 

As long as he missed the gate of course

• Like 2

On 10/16/2019 at 9:16 AM, Sidney the robin said:

I think that is why the track had to be changed at the Abbey Steve, the bikes have changed and the straights were to long for the bends which had been changed over the years.I preferred yesteryear racing mainly because of the variation of tracks ie) as an example. you could visit Monday to Sunday.     Exeter, Leicester, Poole, Sheffield, Hackney, Belle Vue, Eastbourne/ Mildenhall a real mixed bag.

I've always said Sid, the racing hasn't changed much, but the venues have. We have lost far too many great tracks in this country, not to have had a major impact on the sport.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I've always said Sid, the racing hasn't changed much, but the venues have. We have lost far too many great tracks in this country, not to have had a major impact on the sport.

Hit the nail on the head, there...

A Saturday night down the M2 to Kent was always a lovely end to the week. Yes, Wally Mawdsley did run it for a while towards the end before selling out to Chris Galvin, but its first promoter through the sixties and seventies was the one and only Johnnie Hoskins. It was narrow but racing was possible. I miss so many tracks that we've lost but Kingsmead is one of the greater regrets outside the loss of the London tracks, Coventry, Cradley and of course the original Belle Vue. 

The second division was my league though and I so miss being able to head to that fine city for a good night's speedway with a great atmosphere and fans. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2