British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
baiden

Grand Prix changes

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Krzysztof Kasprzak did!

That was bizarre. Without an injury in 2014 (although all the top guys suffered at one point or another that year) he could have been World Champion, as it was he finished second and won three rounds - and then the next year he was awful.

Possibly the most frustrating GP rider of all time!

20 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Possibly the most frustrating GP rider of all time!

Artem Laguta will run him close with a few more seasons.  

On 10/10/2019 at 1:39 PM, False dawn said:

We could have a system whereby if you get two last places and that's your night over. Hang on, wait a minute, we tried that and didn't Andy Smith go to Oz for two races once?

For me, having a system where every race has significance cannot be improved upon. Oh I know we get the occasional GP winner who wasn't the top scorer on the night. But so what? A GP first is an accolade but we are, after all, trying to determine who is the WC. I don't for a minute think that Mark Loram cared about not winning GPs when he became WC. I know the scoring system was different then, but you see what I mean. There was considerable interest (for me  anyway) in the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th YTD competition on Saturday. And every point counted. I think things might have been different if two key players hadn't already booked their places, but that's a different discussion.

Every point, every race counts. Right from the off in the 1st GP to the final final. A great idea. I have the means to follow progress race by race on my own spreadsheet programme. Maybe the big screens and TV could make more of the significance of scoring throughout the field.

Exactly, It’s simple, straightforward and after a lot of years pretty much everyone understands it.

So why change a winning formula.

• Like 3

A very simple solution would be the GP winner gets 21 points and then everyone else scores as present.  Then the winner always scores more points than anyone else, while every point on the night is still vital.

• Like 1

No need for change - every point scored on the track counts, and that's how it should be. The winner of the final is the GP winner regardless of the points scored on the night. Keep artificial points out of the game, because they can be quite unfair and will only complicate the matter unneccessarily.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

No need for change - every point scored on the track counts, and that's how it should be. The winner of the final is the GP winner regardless of the points scored on the night. Keep artificial points out of the game, because they can be quite unfair and will only complicate the matter unneccessarily.  

If they want a winner it can be given to the highest points scorer.   Use the final only for point scoring toward the GP Title not as the winner.

5 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

A very simple solution would be the GP winner gets 21 points and then everyone else scores as present.  Then the winner always scores more points than anyone else, while every point on the night is still vital.

Not a bad idea. But come the day someone on 10 points wins the final with second on 16, there will be complaints aplenty.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

If they want a winner it can be given to the highest points scorer.   Use the final only for point scoring toward the GP Title not as the winner.

The winner may not even be in the final. Not a good intuitive result and terrible tv. 

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

Not a bad idea. But come the day someone on 10 points wins the final with second on 16, there will be complaints aplenty.

The winner may not even be in the final. Not a good intuitive result and terrible tv. 

Most unlikely 10 pts wins the final as that would mean qualification for the semi with 4 or 5 points.     Has 5 ever qualified ?   Probably impossible.

There have been GP's where the top point scorer does not win the Final but who cares.    The GP series is won by total points not on the number of GP's a rider wins.  

19 hours ago, norbold said:

Krzysztof Kasprzak did!

You mean it's an ailment confined to Poland???

8 hours ago, Mark said:

Most unlikely 10 pts wins the final as that would mean qualification for the semi with 4 or 5 points.     Has 5 ever qualified ?   Probably impossible.

There have been GP's where the top point scorer does not win the Final but who cares.    The GP series is won by total points not on the number of GP's a rider wins.  

6 has been enough to qualify and with a decent pileup in the semi and the final heat you could win with just 6. Couldnt you?

I mean our final this year was ridden four times with the bronze medalist already in the hospital with a broken leg. 

Can't say i'm really that ar$ed about changing the scoring system. 

The people in charge need to concentrate on the racing. Far too many tracks provide lousy racing this year. That's the bigger issue that needs to be resolved

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nowt wrong with the points system as it is. Points win prizes..... either a GP win or world 1-2-3. Leave the system as is.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 4:42 PM, lucifer sam said:

I'm in the camp that thinks the winner of the final should take the spoils but It doesn't seem fair that a rider who has gone through the card unbeaten in one GP would take the same 21 points as someone who limped through on 7 or 8 in another GP.

I'd tweak your idea and suggest that the semis and final are non scoring heats but the winner of the final gets 7 points (or whatever) added to their score.

I don't have a major problem with the system as it is but I do think that that there should be a bigger reward for winning the GP.

Obviously BSI think that it lacks credibility when the guy on the top step of the rostrum hasn't really won anything other than the last race which maybe hard to sell to a wider audience and I tend to agree.

Edited by AFCB Wildcat

Lets just have one meeting a year, run over 20 heats and call it a World Final. :D

• Sad 1