British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
baiden

Grand Prix changes

16 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Can only answer for myself. Probably no system is perfect, but this seems to be the best we have seen so far. The rider who is most consistent wins. Does that mean the best rider wins? No. We could have a system that means if someone has got the most points after 5 GPs and is then out for the rest of the season is declared WC as he was obviously the best up to that point ? We could have a vote by fans who attend each GP to declare their ‘best’ rider etc. Going back to the old ko system where you just had to get through until the final race is solving a minor problem ( it isn’t really for those that understand sport) and starting new ones that were solved

I think most people are in agreement that what we have now works. We had a discussion about it a few weeks back, and I did raise the issue of the winner of the individual GP not being the best rider on the night - maybe winning only the one race. However, the fact that the overall champion was decided by simple accumulation of points seemed to be the main thing that people wanted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, baiden said:

It says BSI (Paul Bellamy I presume) thinks 'it looks funny when a competitor wins the competition, but has fewer points than the speedway rider who took a lower place.'

Then have the GP podium made up of the 3 highest point scorers on the night.    The two semis and final are used only to score more points and not to decide the GP winner.    Those 3 races could be renamed to signify that change.

• Like 1

The changes being put forward in this report sound bloody stupid.

That, in itself,  probably means that the report is accurate.

And worse still they will probably happen

After all, it is quite usual for FIM/BSI to act like complete mentalists and choose to spoil competitions that are working brilliantly. 

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If the new points scoring system had been in place this year, Madsen (175pts) would have beaten Zmarzlik (163pts) to the world title. I'll let you decide if you think that's right or not.

Also, it looks like the SEC winner being guaranteed a place is almost certain. Would come into affect next year (2020), so the winner would compete in the 2021 SGP.

1 hour ago, CB252 said:

The current scoring system ensured that we had three riders still in with a shot going down to the last few heats this year.

Closest we've got to replicating the drama of a one off Final for a while.

In round one you'd have had Madsen squeezing into the semis on 8 points and walking away with 25 at the end of the night.  That sort of swing can badly distort who the best rider is over a 10 round series.

They should leave it alone.  No issue with the other changes.

Well 1996 it was won on the last heat of the series so you never know... I think in the 3 different versions of scoring they've had, I cant remember when it didnt end up with the best rider not being crowned world champion regardless. 

For a new fan, it is kind of weird seeing a guy with 20 point finishing 2nd to a guy on 14 points but it hasnt caused that many problems in the last however many years. No real need to change it but not the end of the world if they do. In my opinion the most important thing is venues and track prep. Get those right and the rest will be fine.

We could have a system whereby if you get two last places and that's your night over. Hang on, wait a minute, we tried that and didn't Andy Smith go to Oz for two races once?

For me, having a system where every race has significance cannot be improved upon. Oh I know we get the occasional GP winner who wasn't the top scorer on the night. But so what? A GP first is an accolade but we are, after all, trying to determine who is the WC. I don't for a minute think that Mark Loram cared about not winning GPs when he became WC. I know the scoring system was different then, but you see what I mean. There was considerable interest (for me  anyway) in the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th YTD competition on Saturday. And every point counted. I think things might have been different if two key players hadn't already booked their places, but that's a different discussion.

Every point, every race counts. Right from the off in the 1st GP to the final final. A great idea. I have the means to follow progress race by race on my own spreadsheet programme. Maybe the big screens and TV could make more of the significance of scoring throughout the field.

• Like 2

i'm guessing this means changes to the SoN scoring system too then?

the older 24 rider GP system was incredibly unfair when it came to gate positions, i think Rickardsson, although a brilliant rider, benefited from this system greatly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevehone said:

the older 24 rider GP system was incredibly unfair when it came to gate positions, i think Rickardsson, although a brilliant rider, benefited from this system greatly

Changing from Pedigree Chum to PAL.

It will still be a dog's breakfast.

6 minutes ago, stevehone said:

Not sure about the SoN scoring system, very little news coming out about it before the Frankfurt Conference. Final penciled in for May 9th in Manchester, though.

2 minutes ago, baiden said:

Not sure about the SoN scoring system, very little news coming out about it before the Frankfurt Conference. Final penciled in for May 9th in Manchester, though.

SoN final May 9th. Really?

Just now, f-s-p said:

Yep, apparently so. It's going to be an early one.

1 hour ago, f-s-p said:

Another plot to keep Finland out !!! They will still be in hibernation from winter ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Another plot to keep Finland out !!! They will still be in hibernation from winter ?

if the final is in BV on May 9th our Event will probably be in Macon on April 1st. Cant go further in Europe from HEL than Macon...

On 10/9/2019 at 2:55 PM, baiden said:

Spotowe Fakty reporting that a raft of changes are on the cards (although there is opposition to it - and it's unlikely to happen if Discovery take over the rights from BSI in 2022)

- New scoring system
- Top five only to qualify for the following season - with SEC winner also guaranteed a place
- New qualification system
- Russian GP at Togliatti (replacing Krsko)

The new scoring system would be very familiar (same system used as before, which ended in 2006) with 25 points for the winner, 20 for the second, 18 for the third and 16 for the fourth. Others would add as many points as they scored on the track.

Final decision will be made, and announced after the Frankfurt Conference (Nov 2-3).

If SEC champ gets an auto slot then AMA and Argentinian champs + Aussie champ should get in aswell since one continental champ gets in — > all should get in. Its the world championship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I for one don`t think any changes will  happen in 2020 or 21 under the present contract- and certainly why would BSI want the SEC champion in the GP`s ? - all that would do probably would be more GP riders entering the SEC qualifying than now. One Sport might like it but it won`t happen.