British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islander15

Play-off final

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Im certainly not arguing to make it shorter, i am merely suggesting that the most important fixtures (league & play offs) are sorted first and then then the additional competitions (KO cup, Nat Trophy, grudge match challenges etc) at the back end of the year so at least a 'proper' league (play off) champion can be crowned.   

If this had been a dry October, as is often the case, we would not have heard this suggestion of earlier league finals.  Go back as many years as you like

(and I go back a good many) , and you will find that finals of almost all competitions are in October.  Because the meetings ARE important, fans turn out

in big numbers even though it's much cooler.  They would not leave the warmth of their homes for challenge matches as they might in mid-summer.

37 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

If this had been a dry October, as is often the case, we would not have heard this suggestion of earlier league finals.  Go back as many years as you like

(and I go back a good many) , and you will find that finals of almost all competitions are in October.  Because the meetings ARE important, fans turn out

in big numbers even though it's much cooler.  They would not leave the warmth of their homes for challenge matches as they might in mid-summer.

Surely one of the big issues with the sport is that the insistence on using the approach that "its always been like that" is still in play. Because nothing is evolving its falling behind. If promotions cannot draw spectators out later in the year when its cooler then they need to look harder at the product they are serving up. 

• Like 1

The problem with your suggestions S4K, is if the league title is decided in say August then doesn’t it make all the other meetings anti-climatic? There’s be terribleness attendances for NT fixtures in September when your club has had an awful league campaign and there’s no optimism left. 

An alternative would be to actually start the whole campaign at a reasonable time at the start of April and have regular meeting at throughout the summer without long gaps between home fixtures. Then all the competitions can conclude at a reasonable time to allow the play-offs and cup finals  in early September. Then use late September in case of rain-offs and October can be season finale one-off meetings like Cradley’s Hammer meeting, IOW ran a 3 team tournament and Kent would run one this year if they hand time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

The problem with your suggestions S4K, is if the league title is decided in say August then doesn’t it make all the other meetings anti-climatic? There’s be terribleness attendances for NT fixtures in September when your club has had an awful league campaign and there’s no optimism left. 

An alternative would be to actually start the whole campaign at a reasonable time at the start of April and have regular meeting at throughout the summer without long gaps between home fixtures. Then all the competitions can conclude at a reasonable time to allow the play-offs and cup finals  in early September. Then use late September in case of rain-offs and October can be season finale one-off meetings like Cradley’s Hammer meeting, IOW ran a 3 team tournament and Kent would run one this year if they hand time!

I would certainly go along with the above and i do concede that deciding the league winner prior to other comps may take the stuffing out of some sides (although it would also give a team that struggled early but strengthened something left to fight for?). There will never be a happy fit for all but i would certainly like to see the best sides being able to compete in non contentious conditions and serve up entertainment for the loyal supporters.

I don't see what the fuss is all about. There are 2 more weeks to get the league play off final completed, with a favourable forecast tomorrow at Leicester & same at Kent on Monday it will be job done in plenty of time. There has been an unusual amount of rain this October but there is still time to complete the remaining 2 matches.

The cut off date to complete league matches if its not extended is middle of September that gives 6 weeks to complete the playoffs, that should be plenty of time. I don't see what bringing forward the cut off would achieve. 

Getting excited now, gotta get a few hours before I head to the train station and then head straight from leicester to another night shift.....

But the biggest match in Kent's history, honestly a bag of nerves.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

Getting excited now, gotta get a few hours before I head to the train station and then head straight from leicester to another night shift.....

Tip my hat to you for pure dedication and these levels of excitement for fans is what the sport is really all about. Here's hoping your trip is enjoyable & entertaining.

5 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Looking forward to it. Absolutely lobbed it down Monday and early yesterday, today is thankfully dry & breezy. Should be a decent meeting.

Edited by Mr Bump
  • Like 1

hopefully the kings can keep it to below 10 to make a corking 2nd leg, lester have a great side but the ruddick issue is a bit of a grey area for me

52 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

hopefully the kings can keep it to below 10 to make a corking 2nd leg, lester have a great side but the ruddick issue is a bit of a grey area for me

I hope so too. Don't understand Ruddick issue either his average is shown as below 7 but every rider except Ellis can cover for him which is an unfair advantage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

A major task for Kent in the second leg by the look of it - to pull back a 28 point deficit!

Falling at the last hurdle is an understatement unfortunately for the kings. Too much pressure on too younger shoulders perhaps? 

• Like 1