British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

Wanted

4 speedway riders and a team manager who actually give a $hit.

* Riders on 'false' averages need not apply as there's a reason they're on that average.

34 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

Wanted

4 speedway riders and a team manager who actually give a $hit.

* Riders on 'false' averages need not apply as there's a reason they're on that average.

Because they want to give themselves every opportunity of guesting every week? :D

The form of Masters was always going to be an issue. He badly let his Polish club down in there playoffs, poodling around at the back while riders like Klindt and Walasek were busting a nut for the cause. A bit like Holder was for Poole at Ipswich. Perhaps when the going gets tough some Aussie riders go awol. 

Wolves should do all in their power to keep Douglas and Becker. Both showed great improvement through the season. First names for next year?

Both Thorsell and Morris were poor. Doubt Morris will be invited back. Thorsell is a long way from that guy who smashed everyone at Monmore. That injury has taken away the edge he had. And he can be poor away from home. Schlein and Howarth? Schlein did try but he is now in the twilight of his career. Howarth has got as far as his ability will take him. Decent second string/good reserve.

One of the bigger issues seems to be the team manager. Peter Adams lack of enthusiasm shone through like a beacon. He is well regarded amongst riders and fans but is he now living off past glory? I want to see my team manager motivating the riders and showing passion. Perhaps it’s time for Adams to move aside and bring in a younger more enthusiastic manager, possibly an ex rider who has connections with Wolverhampton?

Depending on league structure I wouldn’t be suprised to see Thorsell, Schlein, Howarth, Becker and Douglas return. Morris and Masters released.

• Like 1

I actually switched the match off last night after heat 10 ,watching s/way like that is not a pleasure in any shape or form IMO, Swindon did what was needed and no one can say otherwise  .I felt sorry for NP/KT for trying to paper over what was a less than impressive advert for the sport itself.

Wolves have never looked that great all season to me and squeaked into the playoffs,IMO there needs to be a root and branch clear out ,sadly I don't think that Morris is going to be the rider he was Thorssell is not and never will be a PK ( will there ever be another) .Two new heat leaders at least are called for i don't blame Adams I think he can only work with what he has but i think they have paid a price for loyalty in the past and have  certainly  done so this season .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 2

Wolves are certainly missing a PK, Sam or Corey. But then most clubs are in that boat. Shows how the sport has dived in this country.

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Wolves are certainly missing a PK, Sam or Corey. But then most clubs are in that boat. Shows how the sport has dived in this country.

Sadly after watching this years SON I have to concur with you

I would only keep Howarth & Becker from this years team if I were Wolves, but are there any riders out there who are better and willing to commit to British fixtures?

Think there is a natural change in the mentality of the Aussies who now ride in Poland every week from those who don't. .

When they came over the UK was their 'bread and butter' and the only ticket in town for them to earn enough to stay being a pro rider..

Now, for several, Poland will be their priority given the potential earnings out there, even in the lower divisions..

And do well there, and the top league may come knocking moving you into the mega bucks league...

Fair play to Doyle who still seems to treat the UK with the same focus as he does all his racing...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The form of Masters was always going to be an issue. He badly let his Polish club down in there playoffs, poodling around at the back while riders like Klindt and Walasek were busting a nut for the cause. A bit like Holder was for Poole at Ipswich. Perhaps when the going gets tough some Aussie riders go awol. 

Wolves should do all in their power to keep Douglas and Becker. Both showed great improvement through the season. First names for next year?

Both Thorsell and Morris were poor. Doubt Morris will be invited back. Thorsell is a long way from that guy who smashed everyone at Monmore. That injury has taken away the edge he had. And he can be poor away from home. Schlein and Howarth? Schlein did try but he is now in the twilight of his career. Howarth has got as far as his ability will take him. Decent second string/good reserve.

One of the bigger issues seems to be the team manager. Peter Adams lack of enthusiasm shone through like a beacon. He is well regarded amongst riders and fans but is he now living off past glory? I want to see my team manager motivating the riders and showing passion. Perhaps it’s time for Adams to move aside and bring in a younger more enthusiastic manager, possibly an ex rider who has connections with Wolverhampton?

Depending on league structure I wouldn’t be suprised to see Thorsell, Schlein, Howarth, Becker and Douglas return. Morris and Masters released.

Good summary Steve 

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I think this has been Pooles problem this season

Middlo clearly not got any idea anymore how to get the best out of his riders..........the semi final loss at Ipswich was probably the worst capitulation in any semi final i can remember

The team manager has to be held accountable for the team folding like that.........he was obviously way to complacent and had no clue how to get the best out of Holder and Kurtz....maybe Poole need to look to an ex rider with Poole connections.............maybe Rosco would like a new challenge..............quite clearly the best manager in the league getting Swindon with that long tail of theirs to the final yet again..........

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Decent and fair post Steve. The only slight issue some keep mentioning is about Jacobs away form. On the whole it hasn’t been as bad as people seem to suggest over the recent years. This season seems to have gone backwards since that injury but I’d inagine is a certainty if he wants to come back.

His away average this year is 6.72, making him Wolves top away performer.

2 hours ago, Col said:

I would only keep Howarth & Becker from this years team if I were Wolves, but are there any riders out there who are better and willing to commit to British fixtures?

Fully agree Col (had to happen somewhere!) Not many riders can be bothered to ride here anymore.

Edited by stevebrum
Added detail.

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Think there is a natural change in the mentality of the Aussies who now ride in Poland every week from those who don't. .

When they came over the UK was their 'bread and butter' and the only ticket in town for them to earn enough to stay being a pro rider..

Now, for several, Poland will be their priority given the potential earnings out there, even in the lower divisions..

And do well there, and the top league may come knocking moving you into the mega bucks league...

Fair play to Doyle who still seems to treat the UK with the same focus as he does all his racing...

i'm not sure Josh Grajczonek fits into that category

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gavan said:

I think this has been Pooles problem this season

Middlo clearly not got any idea anymore how to get the best out of his riders..........the semi final loss at Ipswich was probably the worst capitulation in any semi final i can remember

The team manager has to be held accountable for the team folding like that.........he was obviously way to complacent and had no clue how to get the best out of Holder and Kurtz....maybe Poole need to look to an ex rider with Poole connections.............maybe Rosco would like a new challenge..............quite clearly the best manager in the league getting Swindon with that long tail of theirs to the final yet again..........

Ok I'll bite. So Poole's 'problem' this season in finishing top of the league programme was the team manager?!

And who exactly is in Swindon's 'long tail' when most knowledgeable fans recognise that Swindon have the strongest top 5 in the league?!

And despite Rosco's strong ties to Poole in the past, why would he leave the new Champions when they have a new stadium coming and his family and business are in Swindon?!  Middlo will leave Poole when Matt Ford goes and not before and that will suit most if not all Poole fans - he'll want to atleast match Peter Adams' achievements!!!

Edited by Skidder1