British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

6 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

Wanted

4 speedway riders and a team manager who actually give a $hit.

* Riders on 'false' averages need not apply as there's a reason they're on that average.

Careful, you'll have the sycophants after you.

After all they're claiming on Facebook the team was brilliant and it was an amazing achievement to reach the semi finals, they can't be criticised and laughing into the camera when being hammered is something that is great! In fact, apparently managers and players in football laugh into the camera when being hammered.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

After all they're claiming on Facebook the team was brilliant and it was an amazing achievement to reach the semi finals, they can't be criticised and laughing into the camera when being hammered is something that is great! In fact, apparently managers and players in football laugh into the camera when being hammered.

Who laughed into the camera? Was at the meeting so didn't see the TV footage.

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

You're not entitled to an opinion because you live abroad:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

Masters I think, it was recorded so I whizzed through most of it.  Most races were over after the second bend, so whizzed through almost all of those too.  Heats 7, 9 & 11 were the only ones watching.

2 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

Masters.

Camera switched to him, stood next to Peter Adams. Adams his usual face, Masters straight faced. Turns, saw camera was on him, breaks into big smile and laughs.

Now I know that's the kind of character he is, but it's not what you want to see your No 1 doing on a humiliating night for your team.

There are fans who have already stated, if the riders don't care, why should they and next season they may not bother. 

It's not to say he didn't care... but there is a time and a place and perception can go a long way.

• Like 2

The majority will say sign Ryan Douglas. I think he's one to avoid from a Wolverhampton perspective. Ryan is a big track rider. Monmore doesn't suit his style.

Build around Becker, Masters & Thorssell. 

8 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Masters.

Camera switched to him, stood next to Peter Adams. Adams his usual face, Masters straight faced. Turns, saw camera was on him, breaks into big smile and laughs.

Now I know that's the kind of character he is, but it's not what you want to see your No 1 doing on a humiliating night for your team.

There are fans who have already stated, if the riders don't care, why should they and next season they may not bother. 

It's not to say he didn't care... but there is a time and a place and perception can go a long way.

Agree 100%.  When you are a fan watching your team take a beating the last thing required is "couldn't care less attitude" from team members.

I recall a tv meeting from Swindon against the Bees in their last season in the top league. Coventry were being well beaten, and when the camera zoomed in on the pita area two  bees riders and the team manager were fooling around in front of the camera.  Not a good feeling watching that , then again it is something that would never have happened during the time bees were run by a disciplined management team.

18 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Agree 100%.  When you are a fan watching your team take a beating the last thing required is "couldn't care less attitude" from team members.

I recall a tv meeting from Swindon against the Bees in their last season in the top league. Coventry were being well beaten, and when the camera zoomed in on the pita area two  bees riders and the team manager were fooling around in front of the camera.  Not a good feeling watching that , then again it is something that would never have happened during the time bees were run by a disciplined management team.

Spur of the moment fun from a former World Champion and a few riders in front of the TV cameras - never happened before or since I suppose. How do you know it wasn’t part of the ‘script’ - ah, that would be because you weren’t part of the management team.......

Edited by NeilWatson

6 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Spur of the moment fun from a former World Champion and a few riders in front of the TV cameras - never happened before or since I suppose. How do you know it wasn’t part of the ‘script’ - ah, that would be because you weren’t part of the management team.......

A good management team would be listening to feedback and understanding such actions have absolutely no benefit, only the negative of possible lost fans through the turnstiles. It's not as if the sport can afford that is it.

As for never happened before or since, it's certainly a rare thing. Imagine a football manager and players having a laugh in front of a camera as they leave the pitch 3-0 down at half time. There would be outrage from supporters.

Your response is absolutely typical of those involved in running the sport and is yet another indication of just how out of touch promoters and management teams can be and another indicator of why the sport in this country is in the mess it is.

Time and a place.. when your team is being humiliated, that most certainly isn't it. You already have an annoyed fan base as it is.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

The majority will say sign Ryan Douglas. I think he's one to avoid from a Wolverhampton perspective. Ryan is a big track rider. Monmore doesn't suit his style.

Build around Becker, Masters & Thorssell. 

Can't agree with this. Douglas is one to actively pursue. He's put some good scores in at Monmore and he will only improve there. The fact he has the ability to score well away from home is a massive plus point and something the club needs. 

Of the other three you mention only Becker would I most certainly sign. Thorssell most likely, but Masters would need some consideration. Some fresh blood is needed and most certainly a leader. I'm not totally convinced Schlein is the answer in that regard although I'm not knocking his efforts for the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

A good management team would be listening to feedback and understanding such actions have absolutely no benefit, only the negative of possible lost fans through the turnstiles. It's not as if the sport can afford that is it.

As for never happened before or since, it's certainly a rare thing. Imagine a football manager and players having a laugh in front of a camera as they leave the pitch 3-0 down at half time. There would be outrage from supporters.

Your response is absolutely typical of those involved in running the sport and is yet another indication of just how out of touch promoters and management teams can be and another indicator of why the sport in this country is in the mess it is.

Time and a place.. when your team is being humiliated, that most certainly isn't it. You already have an annoyed fan base as it is.

Saved me the trouble of a reply .. :D  

23 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I am sure many a Polish League manager, and team riders, have been filmed having a good laugh when getting beaten...

And I am sure their fans would have keenly joined in with such hilarity... 

Or maybe not?   :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

I am sure many a Polish League manager, and team riders, have been filmed having a good laugh when getting beaten...

And I am sure their fans would have keenly joined in with such hilarity... 

Or maybe not?   :D

You've earned a like from Neil Watson.. 

Surely he can't believe you're supporting his words.... surely!

On 10/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, mikebv said:

Fair play to Doyle who still seems to treat the UK with the same focus as he does all his racing...

Absolutely. I think Doyle deserves such credit for staying loyal to British speedway.  

• Like 1