British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Someone has told me Tai's book is full of the f-word too ....

He does mention it a few times

7 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

Every time I heard him say stuff like 'I got the bugger' in his Swedish/Black Country accent I couldn't help pi$$ing myself laughing:rofl:

He did a turn at one of our end of season events and was absolutely hilarious, as you say his Swedish Black Country accent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BWitcher said:

The perfect example.

How so many said they would never ever support Hamill... soon changed.

I continued to watch my team  during the Hamill years but with absolutely no joy that he was part of it. He was suffered.

Edited by Beowulf

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

That’s true........ and there was no need for it, never is.

In today’s society it’s perfectly acceptable whether we like it or not.

Its written in Tai’s language so I don’t see the issue, unless it’s aimed solely at the teen market which it isn’t. 

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

That’s true........ and there was no need for it, never is.

The publishers have to take some blame, as they have allowed it.....................

6 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Its written in Tai’s language so I don’t see the issue, unless it’s aimed solely at the teen market which it isn’t. 

Is it perfectly acceptable in today’s society?   I can’t remember having a referendum on this :D

If it is perfectly acceptable in today’s society then why cannot you type such words on this (and other) forums without it being removed/altered/modified?   Do you think if someone went for a job as a checkout operator in a supermarket and used such words at the interview they would get the job?  Your HONEST answer to that simple question will tell you whether such language is perfectly acceptable in today’s society.

Consider this, it was only about 3 years ago that foul language was often used in interviews by speedway riders (not the interviewer) at the Speedway GPs.  Apologise for foul language were frequently given to viewers after the interviews, which indicate such language was NOT perfectly acceptable to the broadcasting company. Further, have you not noticed that now very rarely do you hear a speedway rider using foul language when being interviewed, even after an emotionally charged race.  Why is this?  More then likely the broadcasting company has said “look guys, foul language is not perfectly acceptable in today’s society, it has to stop, and stop now, or your interviews will NOT take place. Now go and have a chat with your sponsors and see what they think about what you just been told before you make a decision”.

I can’t think of another sport that regularly appears on TV (MotGP, football, rugby, boxing etc), where contestants use foul language on such a regular basis (if at all) as was happening in speedway interviews a few years back, and at the highest level.  Maybe, just maybe, the perceived acceptability of such foul language in sport could lead to viewers thinking “that’s not a sport I wish to take my family to, its more a foul mouthed yob sport”.

Re Tai’s book.  I bought it (on line version), read every page, my view is (and I have expressed this before on this forum), it is an “ok” read, some interesting sections, mostly very flat though. In my view it is written too soon, better he had waited until he retired, IMO.  As to the foul language...... it added nothing to the read.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stevebrum said:

No it's not. Go stand in any City Centre and read it out aloud, and you would be arrested...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Is it perfectly acceptable in today’s society?   I can’t remember having a referendum on this :D

If it is perfectly acceptable in today’s society then why cannot you type such words on this (and other) forums without it being removed/altered/modified?   Do you think if someone went for a job as a checkout operator in a supermarket and used such words at the interview they would get the job?  Your HONEST answer to that simple question will tell you whether such language is perfectly acceptable in today’s society.

Consider this, it was only about 3 years ago that foul language was often used in interviews by speedway riders (not the interviewer) at the Speedway GPs.  Apologise for foul language were frequently given to viewers after the interviews, which indicate such language was NOT perfectly acceptable to the broadcasting company. Further, have you not noticed that now very rarely do you hear a speedway rider using foul language when being interviewed, even after an emotionally charged race.  Why is this?  More then likely the broadcasting company has said “look guys, foul language is not perfectly acceptable in today’s society, it has to stop, and stop now, or your interviews will NOT take place. Now go and have a chat with your sponsors and see what they think about what you just been told before you make a decision”.

I can’t think of another sport that regularly appears on TV (MotGP, football, rugby, boxing etc), where contestants use foul language on such a regular basis (if at all) as was happening in speedway interviews a few years back, and at the highest level.  Maybe, just maybe, the perceived acceptability of such foul language in sport could lead to viewers thinking “that’s not a sport I wish to take my family to, its more a foul mouthed yob sport”.

Re Tai’s book.  I bought it (on line version), read every page, my view is (and I have expressed this before on this forum), it is an “ok” read, some interesting sections, mostly very flat though. In my view it is written too soon, better he had waited until he retired, IMO.  As to the foul language...... it added nothing to the read.

We are only talking about Tai’s book in reference to the use of swearing. He swears a lot, although very reserved and professional on camera. The book makes Tai real in reading which I believe is the whole point. 

Obviously certain words are censored on most platforms because the masses still find them unacceptable. (Although the hypocrisy of people who swear themselves moaning about hearing it in TV, social media and books isn’t lost on me).

If you can honestly say you have never sworn and never would then your point may be valid in this instance. Again YOUR honest answer will give you an indication of what’s right in this instance.

18 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

No it's not. Go stand in any City Centre and read it out aloud, and you would be arrested...

I hear swearing from many people in any city centre. However if you stand preaching swear words at people you might be arrested.

As stated above if you can honestly say you have never sworn in your life then you have a valid point.

In the real world swear words are common place. 

Tai told his life story to Peter Oakes, and it was up to Peter Oakes whether or not to use any swear words in the book.

I think a lot of people would swear when talking at length like that. It was up to Peter whether or not to use those words in the text.

10 hours ago, Beowulf said:

I continued to watch my team  during the Hamill years but with absolutely no joy that he was part of it. He was suffered.

I quite enjoyed visiting Monmore when Andy Phillips was at reserve for the Heathens :)

37 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Agreed.

Foul language is foul and it makes the person using it to appear uneducated and disrespectful to those who happen to hear it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Tai told his life story to Peter Oakes, and it was up to Peter Oakes whether or not to use any swear words in the book.

I think a lot of people would swear when talking at length like that. It was up to Peter whether or not to use those words in the text.

It was wholly up to Tai to choose using foul words or not in the first place when pen went to paper.

Since Tai has stopped swearing in front of TV cameras he has actually got more likeable in my estimation.  When now being interviewed a different personality seems to across, definitely more likeable, and he has a sense of humour as was displayed when “guesting” with Pearson and Tatum.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 3

Just now, OveFundinFan said:

It was wholly up to Tai to choose using foul words or not in the first place when pen went to paper.

Swear words are pretty common in all forms of literature other than children's books. You pay your money and take your choice, I guess.

Personally I'm not sure it is necessary in a sports auto-biography, but it doesn't bother me.

It wouldn't have been wholly up to Tai. It would have been a decision made by both of them.

42 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Agreed.

Foul language is foul and it makes the person using it to appear uneducated and disrespectful to those who happen to hear it.

I agree and also totally unnecessary.  English is a rich language and if you cannot express yourself without using unnecessary words then it points to something.  I also dislike 'like' 'revert back' 'literally' 'even' but I guess language evolves although with a 9 year old I do occasionally have to respond!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I agree and also totally unnecessary.  English is a rich language and if you cannot express yourself without using unnecessary words then it points to something.  I also dislike 'like' 'revert back' 'literally' 'even' but I guess language evolves although with a 9 year old I do occasionally have to respond!

Yes, youngsters seem to be favouring “literally” over “like” now.

I guess it’s a move in the right direction to replace ten “like” with three “literally”.

I’m literally over the moon, as they would say.  :)

• Like 2