British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

My head says you're right.

My heart hopes otherwise. Watching H&H in heat 15 at Brandon many times is among my fondest speedway memories. If Greg rides for Wolves next year, I'll be be there, more than once. His appearance in Britain in, what may be his his final year, would be very special indeed. [I hope he reads this]

No ex-spoons are welcome at Monmore Alan Grahame has been machine examiner and even that has been too much.

2 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

No ex-spoons are welcome at Monmore Alan Grahame has been machine examiner and even that has been too much.

Ex-spoons paying at the turnstiles? Are you sure?

4 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Not sure that rivalry is really there any more, many people have gone to watch both the last few years

• Like 1

1 minute ago, False dawn said:

Ex-spoons paying at the turnstiles? Are you sure?

How many spoons would want to watch Hancock in a Wolves race jacket ? Very few.

5 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Not sure that rivalry is really there any more, many people have gone to watch both the last few years

Fair enough, I'm speaking from my own perspective, but I know many with the same view.

1 minute ago, Beowulf said:

How many spoons would want to watch Hancock in a Wolves race jacket ? Very few.

I think quite a few Cradley supporters and quite a few Coventry supporters, not to mention quite a few speedway supporters, will want to watch Greg in any race jacket. We owe him quite a lot. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Fair enough, I'm speaking from my own perspective, but I know many with the same view.

I'm a fairly recent supporter so never went to a Wolves Cradley derby so it's different for me I guess

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

I'm a fairly recent supporter so never went to a Wolves Cradley derby so it's different for me I guess

Fair enough, the intensity is hard to describe. Checked distances, Wolves to Cradley was approx 8-9 miles. Having researched local rivalries, the only one that I could find closer was Hackney to West Ham which was an incredible 3 miles apart. In other words the rivalry was out of this world.

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

I think quite a few Cradley supporters and quite a few Coventry supporters, not to mention quite a few speedway supporters, will want to watch Greg in any race jacket. We owe him quite a lot. 

As a Coventry fan, your perspective might be a slightly different to mine.

2 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

How little you know!

12 hours ago, DC2 said:

Simple.

They haven’t got a new number one.

Nicol, rather than Nicholls, is a calculated gamble.

Wolves team will be built to 40.5.

I am inclined to agree with this.

Woffinden/Lindgren or both, I'm not sure I can see that.

We had Hamill 06 and 07 those weren't my favourite years.

As for having H&H as a spearhead I would have struggled to have any passion, CVS and PA took a calculated risk in 06 07 and it semi paid off I guess, but to have both from a Wolves turnstiles perspective it could have been Monmore suicide.

There are rivalries and then there are rivalries and  hammering spoons  was always my favourite followed by Coventry then the rest....

It didn't seem the same wateching H&H at Brandon, so for me we not only lost the Cradley/Wolves but also took the edge off Cov/Wolves for a few years.

Hancock is a great Ambassador for speedway and 50 odd yrs old a rarity still there or there thereabout with guys less than half his age at top level, and he is a genuine decent bloke....... but he was a huge gating tart and massive roller (when you were allowed) and is still  a Spoon.

I will still pay to stand on almost empty terraces at the few tracks Wolves go to in 2020 look around get a coffee and enjoy the racing, but it won't be the same as eating a pork sandwich on the back straight of a packed Bomb site arguing the toss with spoon rivals, and that's just how it is.

A 1991 gem from Hancock introducing the Wolves faithful  to the bird )))))

Edited by rjsj9803

Would you be peed if your last 3 riders are becker, masters and JT. 

Cos that's what I heard. Leaving you well under the limit. 

Technically swapped nicol for howarth 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Would you be peed if your last 3 riders are becker, masters and JT. 

Cos that's what I heard. Leaving you well under the limit. 

I'd be amazed. It would go against all historical precedent.

• Like 1