British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

2 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Besides, Nicolai has made it clear in the past he doesn't want to ride for us again

I missed that, excellent newsB)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Rory is not “Wolves through and through”, he’s only ridden for you for three or four seasons and next season will be his last.

There is no compelling reason to be loyal to him when you have an extra 2 points to play with.

Wolves could have signed Kurtz, Holder, Klindt, Grajkzonek or Kildemand instead!

Kurtz was always going to BV, personally I wouldn't want either of the Holders to ride for us as there's too much baggage, Nicolai doesn't want to ride for us again, and I don't think Grajczonek or Kildemand would improve us

2 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

I missed that, excellent newsB)

It was mentioned a couple of years ago, because he lives local he got quite a bit of stick from people in the town when things weren't going well

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

Klindt can, as long as he's on gate 4, otherwise, forget it!:D

Or 3 Wolfsbane.. or 3 :)

Now as regards Peter Adams and his attempts to suggest that Broc Nicol, a rider who averages just over 5 in the lower league is a better option that Nicholls is bordering on the ridiculous.

Just stick to the real reason, Nicol was snapped up as one for the future along with Becker. In doing so, they've sacrificed some strength for this year.. big gamble when nobody knows the future of the sport in this country and riders aren't exactly loyal these days.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Or 3 Wolfsbane.. or 3 :)

Now as regards Peter Adams and his attempts to suggest that Broc Nicol, a rider who averages just over 5 in the lower league is a better option that Nicholls is bordering on the ridiculous.

Just stick to the real reason, Nicol was snapped up as one for the future along with Becker. In doing so, they've sacrificed some strength for this year.. big gamble when nobody knows the future of the sport in this country and riders aren't exactly loyal these days.

Take a look at the confirmed signings for next year. Out of 25, only 5 have moved. 3 (Kurtz, Holder & Grajczonek) were due to Poole dropping down, leaving just 2, Kyle Howarth, who decided to leave Wolves, but has actually remained loyal to Sheffield, leaving just Richard Lawson who has switched teams. 

Pretty disloyal bunch, these speedway riders

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Take a look at the confirmed signings for next year. Out of 25, only 5 have moved. 3 (Kurtz, Holder & Grajczonek) were due to Poole dropping down, leaving just 2, Kyle Howarth, who decided to leave Wolves, but has actually remained loyal to Sheffield, leaving just Richard Lawson who has switched teams. 

highley likely that bewley/lidsey/worrall will stay at b/vue but charles wright moving ? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

highley likely that bewley/lidsey/worrall will stay at b/vue but charles wright moving ? 

Letters in the right order but not necessarily the correct letters!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

Totally missing the point. 

The idea of building for the future around two riders is a flawed one in speedway, now more than ever. Should they progress and become top riders, they very likely won't be riding in this country anyway.

You're happy with having a much weaker team than was possible, that's your prerogative.

You're happy yet more fans will stop attending, further weakening the club, that's your prerogative.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Totally missing the point. 

The idea of building for the future around two riders is a flawed one in speedway, now more than ever. Should they progress and become top riders, they very likely won't be riding in this country anyway.

You're happy with having a much weaker team than was possible, that's your prerogative.

You're happy yet more fans will stop attending, further weakening the club, that's your prerogative.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Lindgren, Woffy, Hancock, Pawlicki etc ride for us but they're not interested. From who's available and willing to ride it's a very good line up imo. The fact it's 2 points under the limit is irrelevant, that's nearly all due to the awful season Nick had last year, he's the gamble, not Broc. If Nick had managed a 7 point average last year, which he really should have, everyone would be saying what a great line up it is. If it doesn't work out then we have 2 spare points to strengthen and that's a pretty good position to be in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Letters in the right order but not necessarily the correct letters!

2nd rate like 2nd division :party:

35 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Lindgren, Woffy, Hancock, Pawlicki etc ride for us but they're not interested. From who's available and willing to ride it's a very good line up imo. The fact it's 2 points under the limit is irrelevant, that's nearly all due to the awful season Nick had last year, he's the gamble, not Broc. If Nick had managed a 7 point average last year, which he really should have, everyone would be saying what a great line up it is. If it doesn't work out then we have 2 spare points to strengthen and that's a pretty good position to be in

Even by speedway fan's standards, that is an absolute ridiculous statement.

None of it has anything to do with last year. You don't take advantage of riders being on lower averages than they should be, by building a team 2pts under the limit. That immediately negates much of the expected increase.

Under no circumstances is it a 'pretty good position' to be in.

If you honestly believe that Nicol at reserve and Becker in the main body of the team is stronger than the likes of Andersen/Harris/Nicholls at 2 and Becker at reserve then you have a point... but you cannot possibly think that.

As regards changes... what changes are we going to make? Chances are as we have said there will be some improvement in the team... that would take us back to the limit, so who are you going to change? You won't want to drop those who have been improved..  so any opportunity to strengthen would likely be gone.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m still baffled at the reason given for building 2 points under the limit.

Lots were raving about Nicol last year and seemed destined for better things until he got injured so I can see why signing him was a good thing. However doing so at the expense of another potential 6 point rider (Nicholls a perfect example) seems beyond crazy still.

On paper it’s still a team with great potential and keeping 6 of the 7 riders from a previous season that made the play offs should be applauded as a success but we probably could have been even stronger so makes little sense.

I believe an argument put forward last nite from the management was that they weren’t sure if Nicol was going to be a 6 or 4 an odd one too. They seemed happy to include a rider really at a 4 point limit in the top flight (at a maximum right now) that could have even been a 6 and still would have taken the risk. It really appears that the Nicol signing has seen the management throw all their eggs in this basket that they would have still signed him even on a 6 which already is a huge risk.

It means the emphasis is on the remaining team members to up their game which again whilst highly expected is putting more pressure to support the newest signing.

Think there is great potential for improvement throughout but even still missing out the extra points seems a little crazy.

On a separate note does anyone know if Parrys are still sponsoring next season?

Apparently there is no mention of speedway in the new Parry’s brochure when there usually is??

6 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I’m still baffled at the reason given for building 2 points under the limit.

Lots were raving about Nicol last year and seemed destined for better things until he got injured so I can see why signing him was a good thing. However doing so at the expense of another potential 6 point rider (Nicholls a perfect example) seems beyond crazy still.

On paper it’s still a team with great potential and keeping 6 of the 7 riders from a previous season that made the play offs should be applauded as a success but we probably could have been even stronger so makes little sense.

I believe an argument put forward last nite from the management was that they weren’t sure if Nicol was going to be a 6 or 4 an odd one too. They seemed happy to include a rider really at a 4 point limit in the top flight (at a maximum right now) that could have even been a 6 and still would have taken the risk. It really appears that the Nicol signing has seen the management throw all their eggs in this basket that they would have still signed him even on a 6 which already is a huge risk.

It means the emphasis is on the remaining team members to up their game which again whilst highly expected is putting more pressure to support the newest signing.

Think there is great potential for improvement throughout but even still missing out the extra points seems a little crazy.

On a separate note does anyone know if Parrys are still sponsoring next season?

Apparently there is no mention of speedway in the new Parry’s brochure when there usually is??

Yes they are

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Even by speedway fan's standards, that is an absolute ridiculous statement.

None of it has anything to do with last year. You don't take advantage of riders being on lower averages than they should be, by building a team 2pts under the limit. That immediately negates much of the expected increase.

Under no circumstances is it a 'pretty good position' to be in.

If you honestly believe that Nicol at reserve and Becker in the main body of the team is stronger than the likes of Andersen/Harris/Nicholls at 2 and Becker at reserve then you have a point... but you cannot possibly think that.

As regards changes... what changes are we going to make? Chances are as we have said there will be some improvement in the team... that would take us back to the limit, so who are you going to change? You won't want to drop those who have been improved..  so any opportunity to strengthen would likely be gone.

If this team fails miserably you will have a point, I don't believe it will. I'll leave it there.

13 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

If this team fails miserably you will have a point, I don't believe it will. I'll leave it there.

It's not a debate, the team could have been SIGNIFICANTLY stronger. 

I don't think it will fail miserably.. but we've made very hard work of it when could have had an amazing team.

One must wonder if you're part of the promotion :)

Edited by BWitcher