British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

37 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Not quite getting this.

How does being two points under the limit help individual riders to increase their averages?

And if they collectively put on two points and increase to 42.5 Woffinden and Lindgren could only come in on a like for like basis to replace the top two riders (Masters or Thorssell) if they had increased their averages to 9.5.

Are you really suggesting that Wolves would sack Masters or Thorssell if they put 2 points each on their averages?

Not to mention that just reaching 42.5 may not even get you in the playoffs anyway.

Total farce. 2 points under the limit. Cheap.

Pete Adams sees Nicholls as on his way down and Nicol as on his way up.

None of us disagrees.

But with Nicholls on 8.35 CL and Nicol on 5.16, it doesn’t suggest that Broc will overtake Scott next year.

13 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Pete Adams sees Nicholls as on his way down and Nicol as on his way up.

None of us disagrees.

But with Nicholls on 8.35 CL and Nicol on 5.16, it doesn’t suggest that Broc will overtake Scott next year.

Nail on the head.

His argument only holds water when looking at two riders of a similar starting average.

The other factor is that Nicholls riding as a second string, with Monmore as a home track, would also significantly increase his average.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

I don't think it's anything to do with cost at all, had Freddy or Greg made themselves available they would be in.

Personally I would rather watch 3 young riders in Douglas, Becker and Nicol develop than a has been who's career is on a downward spiral

Those three could be the future of Wolves i like all of them more improvement to come. Like ourselves  at Swindon Rowe/ Stewart could be part of a longterm strategy and we might have a bit of short term pain with them but longterm we could reap the benefits.

• Like 1

Is one bad year to get Douglas, Becker, Nicol, Morris to further adapt their skills home and away. 

It could be that the management are looking short term pain, long term gain.

Trying to build a spin in the team for the next 5 years or so is no bad tactic. 

If the Americans live up to their obvious potential they could (and I think will) be the next Hamill & Hancock. 

I believe the management won't give up on 2020 but I'd certainly allow to give them a bit of a break and look to 2021 and beyond.

One thing the Wolverhampton management are good at and that's longevity of rider's and seeing beyond the current season with building teams.

Poole were a force with their future relient on Ward & Holder. 

Swindon are a force when they have Doyle & Batchelor in the same team generally regardless of who else is in the team. 

I think Wolves are pinning their hopes on very similar coming to fruition, there's no shame in that. 

Enjoy watching "The American Assassin's" at work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Is one bad year to get Douglas, Becker, Nicol, Morris to further adapt their skills home and away. 

If the Americans live up to their obvious potential they could (and I think will) be the next Hamill & Hancock. 

I believe the management won't give up on 2020 but I'd certainly allow to give them a bit of a break and look to 2021 and beyond.

One thing the Wolverhampton management are good at and that's longevity of rider's and seeing beyond the current season with building teams.

Swindon are a force when they have Doyle & Batchelor in the same team generally regardless of who else is in the team. 

I think Wolves are pinning their hopes on very similar coming to fruition, there's no shame in that. 

In what year will Becker and Nicol be at the level of Holder & Ward or Doyle & Batchelor?

2024?

Poole struggled to keep Holder & Ward together, or even one of them, and Batchelor, a non-asset, has been in the Swindon team more often than Doyle, who has had only two seasons at the top of his game for Swindon.

Morris was the big asset that Swindon invested in and showed loyalty to and look where he is now.

”Investing” in Nicol now means nothing for the future.

And indeed have Wolves actually invested in him and bought him from Sheffield or are they just bringing him on for Sheffield to benefit in 2021?

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

There is no scenario in where starting 2 points under the building limit can be justified.

Wolves are fortunate that 3 teams will likely be worse.

It's still remarkable though that they have built this way. Not something I'll ever understand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

In what year will Becker and Nicol be at the level of Holder & Ward or Doyle & Batchelor?

2024?

Poole struggled to keep Holder & Ward together, or even one of them, and Batchelor, a non-asset, has been in the Swindon team more often than Doyle, who has had only two seasons at the top of his game for Swindon.

Morris was the big asset that Swindon invested in and showed loyalty to and look where he is now.

And indeed have Wolves actually invested in him and bought him from Sheffield or are they just bringing him on for Sheffield to benefit in 2021?

Someone mentioned on here a couple of months ago that Wolves had signed him as an asset, can't remember who or in which topic though.

32 minutes ago, acef said:

There is no scenario in where starting 2 points under the building limit can be justified.

Wolves are fortunate that 3 teams will likely be worse.

It's still remarkable though that they have built this way. Not something I'll ever understand

I would imagine the decision to bring in Broc was taken months ago due to the success of Luke. Wanting to also keep Luke and Ryan, coupled with the failure to attract Freddie or Hancock, led to this situation I guess.

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

Someone mentioned on here a couple of months ago that Wolves had signed him as an asset, can't remember who or in which topic though.

Was said on a two year contract.             But can't remember the poster.

On 12/13/2019 at 4:19 PM, DC2 said:

2024?

But your theory is to give the likes of Andersen,Harris,Wells,Proctor,( etc) all riders on the slide places mainly because of there low averages.Wolverhampton to me are doing the correct thing here three riders who can improve and are likely to feature in the Premiership for a long while ( Becker might not Europe?) why not try to build for the future.?

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

But your theory is to give the likes of Andersen,Harris,Wells,Proctor,( etc) all riders on the slide places mainly because of there low averages.Wolverhampton to me are doing the correct thing here three riders who can improve and are likely to feature in the Premiership for a long while ( Becker might not Europe?) why not try to build for the future.?

So you think riders on the way down have no place in a PL winning side?

Riders like Eriksen, Zorro, Skornicki, Watt, Stead, Peter Karlsson and Harris, all picked up on false averages due to previous poor seasons and yet being instrumental in winning a title.

Hans Andersen or Scott Nicholls would have been miles better for Wolves’ title aspirations for 2020.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

So you think riders on the way down have no place in a PL winning side?

Riders like Eriksen, Zorro, Skornicki, Watt, Stead, Peter Karlsson and Harris, all picked up on false averages due to previous poor seasons and yet being instrumental in winning a title.

Hans Andersen or Scott Nicholls would have been miles better for Wolves’ title aspirations for 2020.

More so given they would be 2nd strings.

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Wolves could have used those extra 2 points on Andersen and Scott. 

I can guarantee Hans would up that current average of his at Monmore. Easily. I'd argue Scott would as well.

Thorsell

Andersen

Schlein

Nicholls

Masters 

Morris

That's 6 riders they could have picked to build a decent 1 to 5 then gone with lower averaged reserve and still fit in Becker or Nicol.