British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

22 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Personally I think the Wolves team will surprise a few people and will make the play offs despite being 2 points under the limit.

Which again shows what a ridiculous decision it was.

They had the opportunity to track a team that would dominate.. and bring in the crowds as a result.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I think this Wolves team could  be towards the top end of the table and stand every chance of getting  to the play offs. They qualified last season despite Thorsell and Morris being out for a large chunk of the season and then needing time to get competitive. The 2020 team has a number of riders that could improve their average.

But none of that argument changes the fact that they could have had a team improving from a 2 point higher base.

• Like 2

I don't understand why  people thinking that being two points under the limit is a problem. I like the one to seven for me they will certainly get in the playoffs a nice blend Thorssell   , Morris, Becker, Douglas, also will all be better this season.Maybe the only question i have is Broc Nichol i like him and think he is a rider for the future and the Wolves track should suit.The issue is he is a Sheffield asset so if Wolves do the groundwork do Sheffield reap the rewards?.So maybe i would of built a team with Scott Nicholls at reserve i do think all Wolves fans should be optimistic as i do believe they have a decent side.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I don't understand why  people thinking that being two points under the limit is a problem. I like the one to seven for me they will certainly get in the playoffs a nice blend Thorssell   , Morris, Becker, Douglas, also will all be better this season.Maybe the only question i have is Broc Nichol i like him and think he is a rider for the future and the Wolves track should suit.The issue is he is a Sheffield asset so if Wolves do the groundwork do Sheffield reap the rewards?.So maybe i would of built a team with Scott Nicholls at reserve i do think all Wolves fans should be optimistic as i do believe they have a decent side.

The issue with Nicol isn’t really as bad as some make. Compared to other teams declared number 7s he appears the strongest. 

On 2/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, Sidney the robin said:

The Bottom End of the Team isn't the problem.

Its the Top End that's the problem.

Masters and Thorssell have had plenty of chances to kick on and develop as proper number ones - will they do it this time? 

It remains to be seen.

I really like Rory but it is hard to see him improving much at this stage of his career.

Morris is a big gamble - is he capable of getting back to anywhere near his best.

Lots of doubts - hopefully the Promotion will not wait too long this time to make changes if required.

12 minutes ago, magnificentseven said:

Masters and Thorssell have had plenty of chances to kick on and develop as proper number ones - will they do it this time? 

It remains to be seen.

I really like Rory but it is hard to see him improving much at this stage of his career.

Morris is a big gamble - is he capable of getting back to anywhere near his best.

Lots of doubts - hopefully the Promotion will not wait too long this time to make changes if required.

Besides Swindon and Sheffield and to a lesser extent Kings Lynn (add Peterborough to that list IF NKI is confirmed) Belle Vue and Ipswich  (quite possibly) are in no different position to Wolves with no true number one.

Masters always seems to benefit from riding more and with his Championship and European clubs seems to have rectified that this season so I fully expect him to average over 8.

Jacob should be a number one by now so really does need to kick on and if he does then we won’t have too much of an issue.

Schlein I see very little improvement in, Morris seems to have completely lost his way but starting the season fit should see him push that average up we hope anyway.

6 hours ago, magnificentseven said:

It remains to be seen.

I personally don't think there are loads of doubts those riders you named, with the riders available worldwide you would do well to get in better riders..The one to seven looks pretty solid if not spectacular and for me they will get in the top four and be in the mix.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, Sidney the robin said:

I don't understand why  people thinking that being two points under the limit is a problem. 

I've seen some ridiculous comments on here.. but this one is up there.

7 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I've seen some ridiculous comments on here.. but this one is up there.

To be honest Sid has a  monopoly on them … Can't be as bad as  saying Auty should in the World cup side and the Gp's surely ? 

2 hours ago, orion said:

To be honest Sid has a  monopoly on them … Can't be as bad as  saying Auty should in the World cup side and the Gp's surely ? 

Going back to 2010/11/12 when the National side was weak and Bridger,King,Barker,Garrity (etc) were all scratching around Middleditch was in charge then.Not that you would remember then , you would have a job to remember yesterday just you carry on washing the dishes for a living until you are seventy what a future enjoy.!!!!!

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

If you are such an expert you tell me what is wrong with the one to seven forget averages.??? what would you change.What a RUDE ARROGANT Bastard you are  i have not spoke to for month's so what is WRONG with saying Sidney i don't agree with what you say is that so hard?? don't get on your high horse believing you know everything because you don't.

Forget averages when building a side to a limit dictated by averages?

What is wrong with it is that it could have been 2pts stronger.

Or if you want to forget averages.. it could have been a stronger team, significantly so.

You don't have to be an expert, you don't have to even have knowledge of speedway to understand. Its very simple maths.

It's not an opinion either, so there is no case of saying 'I don't agree'. It is a factual situation.

Next you'll be telling us it doesn't matter if you lose a match by 2pts.. it's the same as winning.

Edited by BWitcher

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

If you are such an expert you tell me what is wrong with the one to seven forget averages.??? what would you change.What a RUDE ARROGANT Bastard you are  i have not spoke to for month's so what is WRONG with saying Sidney i don't agree with what you say is that so hard?? don't get on your high horse believing you know everything because you don't.

So we can ignore averages? in that case its an awful team should of gone with 

1. Woffinden 

2. Lindgren 

3. Madsen 

4. Doyle

5. Zmarlik 

6. Dudek 

7. Sayfutdinov 

to be serious I haven't seen anyone say that the Wolves team isn't good just that it was stupid to build 2pts under the limit which there is no argument for.. it is a good team but it should and could of been stronger at it was stupid not to make it so

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Forget averages when building a side to a limit dictated by averages?

What is wrong with it is that it could have been 2pts stronger.

Or if you want to forget averages.. it could have been a stronger team, significantly so.

You don't have to be an expert, you don't have to even have knowledge of speedway to understand. Its very simple maths.

It's not an opinion either, so there is no case of saying 'I don't agree'. It is a factual situation.

Next you'll be telling us it doesn't matter if you lose a match by 2pts.. it's the same as winning.

You say that now, but what if your choice (Scott Nichols?) and the alternatives have a terrible start to the season and are clearly on the slide, and Nicol puts two points on his average?

It’s not as if there were obvious alternatives to replace the other six.

• Like 1

Maybe out of place not being a Wolves supporter, you've got what team you've got, is it not time to get behind it? Always been a Scott fan and he rode for my team(Eastie)when we won the KO Cup against the 'all conquering ' Poole a good few year's ago, but having seen Broc last year I wouldn't be surprised if he'd have a higher average than Scott at the end of this season. Still think you'll get in the playoffs, and by that time Broc could be a major player in the outcome. Yet to be seen, but the end of season team average is more important than the start, all the aim is now is to get in the play offs, and genuinely think you've as much chance with Broc as you would have with Scott. 

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

You say that now, but what if your choice (Scott Nichols?) and the alternatives have a terrible start to the season and are clearly on the slide, and Nicol puts two points on his average?

It’s not as if there were obvious alternatives to replace the other six.

It's not a question of what if's.. it's a case of building the strongest side you can within the limits, the stronger you are, the more chance of dealing with the 'what ifs' that will crop up.

With a side built to the limit you can cope with a 'What if' going wrong, if  a few of the other 'What ifs go right'.

With one built two pts short, it only needs a 'what if' going wrong and you're in trouble already.