British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

My pre-meeting sherbets were always at the Monkey House (Moulders Arms) in Kent Road. 

Happy days.

I'm trying to recall the last time I had a Bank's Mild??? Probably in the Pyle Cock, Wednesfield and I hate to think how many years ago it shut? :blink::drink:

2 minutes ago, Lefty said:

I'm trying to recall the last time I had a Bank's Mild??? Probably in the Pyle Cock, Wednesfield and I hate to think how many years ago it shut? :blink::drink:

I wouldn't worry. Since Banks's fell prey to Marstons it's been $hit.

4 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

I wouldn't worry. Since Banks's fell prey to Marstons it's been $hit.

Fair call. I've never been a lover of Pedigree either. I'm amazed I can tolerate Wainwrights beer!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lefty said:

Fair call. I've never been a lover of Pedigree either. I'm amazed I can tolerate Wainwrights beer!

Blimey, in total agreement, just don't like Pedigree but Wainwright's is okay. 

13 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

My pre-meeting sherbets were always at the Monkey House (Moulders Arms) in Kent Road. 

Happy days.

God Wolfsbane that brings back lots of memories for me having grown up on the rough hills estate and having a pint or two in the monkey House when the monkey in the bar use to drink banks's mild. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lefty said:

Hansons Mild was better than Banks's and that's been gone for decades

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

God Wolfsbane that brings back lots of memories for me having grown up on the rough hills estate and having a pint or two in the monkey House when the monkey in the bar use to drink banks's mild. 

One place I was never brave enough to try.

The Rough Hills Tavern:rofl:

1 hour ago, Wolfsbane said:

No problem there.  We'll not when we was going to it. That was late sixtys . Lol

• Haha 1

Happy days slag off Ole Olsen even though he was a brilliant rider the proponent of the Grand Prix and the demise of British League Speedway. Bank's Mild, Hansons Mild, Highgate Mild no McDonalds, Wimpey Bars selling a meal that filled you up. Tom Johnston was a 'Spoon' but an excellent supporter of Speedway. Fantastic memories of the BLRC at a packed Belle View except the tragic loss of Gary Peterson in 1975.

On 9/20/2021 at 3:42 PM, Wolfsbane said:

I went out with a girl who lived by the Rough Hills Tavern. The old dears used to cram into the off licence and pour back halves of mild !!

On 9/20/2021 at 8:33 AM, Beowulf said:

Blimey, in total agreement, just don't like Pedigree but Wainwright's is okay. 

I remember Marstons Merry Monk Mild 4.8% superb until Banks's ruined everything. Look like they'll be swallowed by Carlsberg.

Please spare a few moments to reflect on this day in 1993 the League title was decided at Monmore Green's final home fixture without the need for play-offs and we had an 11 team top division, twenty home league fixtures and teams that fans could call their own. 

It's a shame how far team standards have dropped.

PS: If you don't know the result then DON'T check it up. :(

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Lefty said:

Please spare a few moments to reflect on this day in 1993 the League title was decided at Monmore Green's final home fixture without the need for play-offs and we had an 11 team top division, twenty home league fixtures and teams that fans could call their own. 

It's a shame how far team standards have dropped.

PS: If you don't know the result then DON'T check it up. :(

Then Sky came in a few years later and pumped many millions into the sport....

Providing thousands of hours of live prime time coverage to a sport bereft of such an opportunity to showcase itself..

You really couldn't fail to develop the sport successfully with such huge backing providing a gilt edged golden opportunity to do so could you?....:rolleyes:

What a night by the way... ;)