British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

That statement pretty much sums up every sporting outdoor venue in the country, well written, concise and to the point.

It won't influence the government but Wolves Council need to be aware. Their overly cautious approach to attendances is ridiculous.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, noaksey said:

It won't influence the government but Wolves Council need to be aware. Their overly cautious approach to attendances is ridiculous.

Suspect that may be CVS's intention to try and put pressure on the council.  He's right too.  We cannot run on the crowds we have for much longer.

• Like 2

Wolverhampton,s Labour run Council needs to take a serious look at themselves over these lockdown restrictions. Only last month they instructed Wolves F.C for the game against Man Utd to limit the capacity at Molineux to 4000 even though the ground holds 32,000.                                 In comparison,Brighton were allowed to have 9000 paying spectators for their game against Man City,even though the Amex has a lower capacity than Molineux.                                                   Central government has told local councils its at their discretion to set safe crowd levels ,but undoubtedly Wolverhampton Council have taken this decision way beyond what was expected. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Wolverhampton,s Labour run Council needs to take a serious look at themselves over these lockdown restrictions. Only last month they instructed Wolves F.C for the game against Man Utd to limit the capacity at Molineux to 4000 even though the ground holds 32,000.                                 In comparison,Brighton were allowed to have 9000 paying spectators for their game against Man City,even though the Amex has a lower capacity than Molineux.                                                   Central government has told local councils its at their discretion to set safe crowd levels ,but undoubtedly Wolverhampton Council have taken this decision way beyond what was expected. 

Capacity rules are made by the Government, half capacity or 4K whichever is lower, no doubt the Brighton match was one of numerous test events. 

23 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Capacity rules are made by the Government, half capacity or 4K whichever is lower, no doubt the Brighton match was one of numerous test events. 

Government only sets out the framework under which local public health officials produce detailed rules.

Some local authorities (Wolverhampton, Newcastle, Poole?) seem to have been overly onerous in the restrictions they have laid down.

( and "the" Government only provides a framework for England, as Scotland has its own Government and a different set of rules)

• Like 1

You have to wonder why, in the opening weeks of the season, Wolves (and other clubs) haven't budgeted accordingly. I think viewing live Speedway at this current time with limited numbers is a privilege and they could rightly justify increasing admission prices to cover costs and then reduce them when full capacity was allowed.

Also, one has to question, has British Speedway done anything to cap the costs involved with the sport? They knew they were going to be running with reduced capacity so surely this was the ideal opportunity to introduce standardised equipment.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, arnieg said:

.... Some local authorities (Wolverhampton, Newcastle, Poole?) seem to have been overly onerous in the restrictions they have laid down.....

... and all three are greyhound stadiums with glass enclosures???

Wolves council also reduced the ring road speed limit from 40mph to 30mph. At least they haven't slowed the speedway bikes down yet!!! B)

• Like 1

One way is to pay riders the same in the premiership as they do In the championship.All said and done it’s the same riders racing against each other just in two differently named leagues.!!.there is no”Elite”anymore.Also live streaming is a way to bring in the extra revenue,surely that has to be the way forward even if it’s just the away supporters that subscribe.

Edited by bigred
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

You have to wonder why, in the opening weeks of the season, Wolves (and other clubs) haven't budgeted accordingly. I think viewing live Speedway at this current time with limited numbers is a privilege and they could rightly justify increasing admission prices to cover costs and then reduce them when full capacity was allowed.

Also, one has to question, has British Speedway done anything to cap the costs involved with the sport? They knew they were going to be running with reduced capacity so surely this was the ideal opportunity to introduce standardised equipment.

Maybe you could enlighten us all on how you would do that.

Standardise HOW?

Any form of standardisation would mean some dumming down, a few improving up, the majority running as now...how does that save money, in fact it would cost money.

Unless there is a lock up with a few hundred "standardised bikes" how the hell would you do it??..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MattB said:

Worrying,  but hardly surprising.

WOLVERHAMPTON owner Chris Van Straaten has revealed how the club are suffering ‘severe losses’ operating under strict reduced audience numbers.

Van Straaten says it’s vital the roadmap remains on course for social distancing to be reduced or ruled out completely in order for the club to continue racing.

Parrys International Wolves are next at home on June 21, the day step four of the roadmap out of lockdown is due to begin.

Van Straaten warned: “It’s a dire situation for us, we are suffering severe losses every time we stage a home meeting because we simply cannot get any more supporters in due to the restrictions.

“It’s vital for us that Boris Johnson stays firm and sticks to the relaxing of social distancing to enable us to get more people on the terraces in the open air.

“We cannot be the only business struggling due to these restrictions which we have to adhere to after working with Wolverhampton City Council officials to get us reopened after 20 months.

“We’ve stuck to the book and done everything properly and I understand some fans have been frustrated, particularly in the warm weather. We’ve had every space taken on the terraces so people who have indoor tickets couldn’t leave indoors and go outside, but they are the rules and I understand the frustration.

“We are not trying to belittle the awful consequences of the covid virus which has affected so many people.

“I believe the vaccination rollout has been a massive success and that’s one box ticked, along with the fact that hospitalisations and death figures remain relatively low.

“The vast majority of adults have now had at least one vaccine and we have to unlock to allow the economy to recover.

“I would be heartbroken if Wolverhampton Speedway became one of those businesses to close down as a consequence of ongoing restrictions – but that is a possibility I cannot rule out at this stage because we simply cannot continue to sustain losses.”

Wolves head to Peterborough on Monday, the day of the announcement regarding June 21 and how much further lockdown will be eased.

As the article doesn’t say do you happen to know how many fans Wolves are currently allowed under the restrictions?   Didn’t look many on TV on Monday evening but thought I’d read somewhere Ipswich had 2000 the other week - if so hardly seems fair!   

7 minutes ago, HGould said:

Maybe you could enlighten us all on how you would do that.

Standardise HOW?

Any form of standardisation would mean some dumming down, a few improving up, the majority running as now...how does that save money, in fact it would cost money.

Unless there is a lock up with a few hundred "standardised bikes" how the hell would you do it??..

Isn't there a lockup full of GTR engines somewhere?

I don't know, I'm no engineer, maybe the banning of "trick" parts. Instead of buying an engine and throwing half of it away and replacing it with "special" replacements a simple seal on the engine casing. If you want to use "special" equipment go ride in the Swedish and/or Polish leagues, it's simple economics really

2 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

I think the 4K limit was for indoor venues , for Football when crowds returned from 17 May for outdoor events it was 10,000 or 25% of your capacity whichever was lower. Clearly some Councils took a different view if they had spikes of Covid cases from the Indian variant. 

1 hour ago, maneacat said:

As the article doesn’t say do you happen to know how many fans Wolves are currently allowed under the restrictions?   Didn’t look many on TV on Monday evening but thought I’d read somewhere Ipswich had 2000 the other week - if so hardly seems fair!   

It’s all based on percentage of full capacity set by local council but based on factors like entrances/exits, toilets etc.

ipswich allowed 2000 but their full capacity is 10,000 so that is 20%
Belle Vue allowed 33% of capacity so that is normally 1000 out of 3000 but have managed to add some extra on 3rd bend which not normally used so been getting 1200 in. 
So Wolves are allowed a percentage, nobody seems to know the exact figure, it keeps changing from different people from 900 to 800 to 750. To me I think it’s lower then that more like 500 judging by what seen on Monday and how much CVS says they struggling. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob B said:

It’s all based on percentage of full capacity set by local council but based on factors like entrances/exits, toilets etc.

ipswich allowed 2000 but their full capacity is 10,000 so that is 20%
Belle Vue allowed 33% of capacity so that is normally 1000 out of 3000 but have managed to add some extra on 3rd bend which not normally used so been getting 1200 in. 
So Wolves are allowed a percentage, nobody seems to know the exact figure, it keeps changing from different people from 900 to 800 to 750. To me I think it’s lower then that more like 500 judging by what seen on Monday and how much CVS says they struggling. 

Still doesn't alter the fact,it 'should be the same rules for all sporting venues. As I said earlier why was Wolves FC only allowed 4000 to attend the match against Utd when Molineux has a capacity of 32,000.Wolves chief Jeff Shi said at the time they had no say in the matter, and it was the council who decided on that figure.Sorry ,but its seems wrong,if its one rule for some,and a different rule for another .