British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

12 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

While Wolverhampton are top of the league it's hardly helping the continuity of speedway bringing in so many foreign riders. Worryingly there probably won't be many teams to ride against soon. Having home grown talent would probably be more conducive to the survival of British League Speedway?

Having an all British team worked well for Eastbourne didn't it.

Your digging a hole and it's getting deeper? So no tracks are closing due to the demise of British Speedway bought on by foreign rider demands and overheads?

3 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

Your digging a hole and it's getting deeper? So no tracks are closing due to the demise of British Speedway bought on by foreign rider demands and overheads?

So let's have a look at the evidence. Somerset are closing because the owners are selling the land, because their hospitality business was losing money due to social restrictions. Newcastle are on the brink of closing because of losses incurred taking over the business from the previous regime and finding they owe a lot of money to HMRC (not the fault of the current owners). Eastbourne closed down because they admit they were paying their riders (all British) too much. Can't see much in the way of foreign rider demands there?

I will also give you the example of Berwick. Three of their riders (all foreign) actually base themselves in Berwick during the season, including Aaron Summers and Jye Etheridge who live here permanently. They probably pay more in travel expenses to Kyle Bickley (promising young British rider) to come over from Workington. Should Berwick get rid of these "foreigners" who live (and work) in the town?

I'll keeping digging.

I can see your point but I think it's fogging your vision of the future regarding league speedway. I used to be like you until I engaged with some of the people running speedway and it gave me a very jaundiced view of speedway and how it is run. Berwick sounds buoyant but unfortunately that's not the case for the majority of teams. If many more tracks close Speedway as we know it will be in peril.

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

I can see your point but I think it's fogging your vision of the future regarding league speedway. I used to be like you until I engaged with some of the people running speedway and it gave me a very jaundiced view of speedway and how it is run. Berwick sounds buoyant but unfortunately that's not the case for the majority of teams. If many more tracks close Speedway as we know it will be in peril.

Personally I think the biggest dangers to the sport in this country is Poland (more and more riders will either choose to ride only for their Polish club, or the club will force this rule) or stadium owners (especially greyhounds) who look to sell the land for property development.

I just wish more clubs owned their own track, to give them a bit of security.  

We're on the same page. Unfortunately Greyhound racing is in decline too. This is the problem with foreign riders they go where the money is and dictate when and where they ride. Home-grown riders could still hold down another job and weekend racing could become a norm. Our short-sighted administrators have been forced into a position of midweek racing with riders understandably with allegiances on the Continent. What's better than finishing work on a Friday then taking in a speedway meeting a natter and a few bevvies !!

Too true. Loved it when Wolves ran on Friday night. Meet up in the New Inns Pub, onto the Speedway, back to the Pub and then off to the Bowling Alley, followed by chips at Snellings on Snow Hill and then back home..... and all being well on the Saturday a trip to Spoon's / Cov / KL / Swindon / B Vue / Halifax. And all this following a team with no double ups, or A / B fixtures!

And Bank's Mild in the Forge Hammer on the way down !! Lamp Tavern after Dudley Wood on a Saturday then into the Curry House for a Chicken Phal !!

When the Wolves won at Cradley then a visit to the Lomp' Tavern was mandatory to catch up with Tom Johnson the sports reporter for the local Express & Star to have a go at his green and white bias! :drink:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lefty said:

Too true. Loved it when Wolves ran on Friday night. Meet up in the New Inns Pub, onto the Speedway, back to the Pub and then off to the Bowling Alley, followed by chips at Snellings on Snow Hill and then back home..... and all being well on the Saturday a trip to Spoon's / Cov / KL / Swindon / B Vue / Halifax. And all this following a team with no double ups, or A / B fixtures!

I loved Fridays too. Great night out and you still had the weekend to come. And obviously didn't have to get up for work in the morning.

It was always the Red Lion for me on a Friday. Off the 79 and in the pub for a couple of pints and a game of dominoes. Even at 18 a part of me was already in his sixties! 
My best memory was late seventies in the Lion when a car full of King's Lynn fans arrived. 
'Four pints of lager please.'

'Don't sell it.'

'Have you got bottles of lager?'

'No'

'Four pints of bitter then.'

''Don't sell it.'

'Well what do you sell?'

'Mild'

Happy days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

And Bank's Mild in the Forge Hammer on the way down !! Lamp Tavern after Dudley Wood on a Saturday then into the Curry House for a Chicken Phal !!

Blimey the Forge Hammer

Right by the old man's workplace, proper basic but a decent enough pint.

Is it now a cafe?

2 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Blimey the Forge Hammer

Right by the old man's workplace, proper basic but a decent enough pint.

Is it now a cafe?

Had a breakfast in there about 5 yrs ago, don’t know if it’s still open now

7 minutes ago, Red Flag said:

Had a breakfast in there about 5 yrs ago, don’t know if it’s still open now

My late Dad lived in Ettingshall pretty sure there was a cafe sign up when i last  went past. Was a while ago now though 

Edited by noaksey

22 hours ago, Lefty said:

Lived on Vicarage Road and even though we had a chippy over the road I was always on the 'Snellings Run' (literally) when I was a nipper.