British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2020

WOLFPACK SPEEDWAY SUPPORT TEAM 

Passionate supporters of Wolverhampton Speedway are proud to announce the launch of the Wolfpack Speedway Support Team.

Following the COVID-19 outbreak, the future of many businesses was put into considerable doubt. Wolverhampton Speedway was one such organisation. With the help of fans contributing to a Go Fund Me page, the club was able to continue with restricted crowds towards the start of the season.

Speedway clubs are continuing to struggle in what is a difficult economic landscape. With this in mind, the aim of the Wolfpack Speedway Support Team is to help to guarantee the future of Wolverhampton Speedway.

We’re asking Wolves fans to contribute £5.00 per month to help the club. We’ll then use the funds for specific items – for example, to help purchase new equipment at the track or to help with one-off costs incurred by the club’s management.

All members will receive regular newsletters, which will detail the funds we’ve raised and how they’ve helped the club. We’re also planning prize draws for members, to win both cash and memorabilia.

Please help us to ensure the long-term future of Wolverhampton Speedway.

If you’re interested, please email: enquiries@wsst.co.uk

To find out more, please visit: http://www.wolverhampton-speedway.com/wsst

On 11/4/2021 at 6:24 PM, Pieman72 said:

Wolverhampton can run a speedway team but they need to field a team containing British riders and affordable ones too. The promoter and his followers should lower their expectations and they might survive. It's so sad when there are riders local to Wolves who would relish the opportunity to race. What about a Shale Track Racing Venue as I'm sure Entain wouldn't turn down a viable prospective proposal.

I really have no idea what you are on about. Wolves are one of the most stable promotions around. I cannot see Wolves not running in 2022. If they don't, then  British top level speedway is in a hell of a lot of trouble possibly terminal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beowulf said:

I really have no idea what you are on about. Wolves are one of the most stable promotions around. I cannot see Wolves not running in 2022. If they don't, then  British top level speedway is in a hell of a lot of trouble possibly terminal.

Yet the post above your says Wolves were struggling when there was restricted crowds. Good that they are setting something up so fans can help the club. 

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Yet the post above your says Wolves were struggling when there was restricted crowds. Good that they are setting something up so fans can help the club. 

I wont be the only Wolves fan to see a supreme irony in this initiative.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Peterborough Panthers Speedway Supporters Club have been running what we call a 100 club for years, members pay £10 a month and 50% of money collected each month is paid out to 3 lucky members.

Its been running for many years and provides the owners with cash for a variety of articles from air bags, fence panels, track equipment, shale etc or just funds to pay the maintenance bills and running costs associated with a speedway club.

Keith Chapman is the latest owner to benefit and has remarked on it several times, this is in addition to the 50/50 raffle at every home meeting.

• Like 1

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. Wolves are probably stable but it's British Speedway in general that's in trouble. We really don't know what the situation is as the promotion/promoters say nothing. What a ridiculous position who actually runs British Speedway and what is their position regarding the future? With tracks closing at an alarming rate and other announcing their dire position a more serious pragmatic approach needs to be taken. 

Ignoring the future has left British Speedway on life support. No training tracks, no training schools, no engagement with local riders, Grasstrack. Going for the nuclear option to bring in expensive non committed foreign riders makes a difficult situation even worse. Am I missing something, in the past there was a possibility for locals to give speedway a go on borrowed equipment. A bunker mentality isn't going to sort out British Speedway.  

20 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. Wolves are probably stable but it's British Speedway in general that's in trouble. We really don't know what the situation is as the promotion/promoters say nothing. What a ridiculous position who actually runs British Speedway and what is their position regarding the future? With tracks closing at an alarming rate and other announcing their dire position a more serious pragmatic approach needs to be taken. 

Ignoring the future has left British Speedway on life support. No training tracks, no training schools, no engagement with local riders, Grasstrack. Going for the nuclear option to bring in expensive non committed foreign riders makes a difficult situation even worse. Am I missing something, in the past there was a possibility for locals to give speedway a go on borrowed equipment. A bunker mentality isn't going to sort out British Speedway.  

Tell the fans nothing,then ask them to donate to keep the Sport afloat seem to be the way these days.

17 hours ago, Beowulf said:

CVS himself as said himself that Wolves were close to folding and maybe they could still be in that position. But as we know they are sadly not unique to be in that position and all clubs are under threat for one reason or another not just finance. No club is immune to closing.

CVS as also stated he won't run unless there is an expansion of the league.

Look at Swedish speedway, according to the Star a couple of weeks ago it's basically collapsing in on itself. 

I remember at Long Eaton where most of the time we lived from season to season and probably most ironically looked forward to the last meeting of the season to find out if we were running the following season.

That's speedway, always as been and always will be?? Unless your in Poland but then again it will av a knock on effect over there as well because the riders wont be coming through.

Edited by PirateShip

Berwick supporters club run a five-one draw every month. Winner 500 second prize 100. It’s a tenner a month on direct debit and the rest of the money goes into the stars project to help out the club . Currently sitting on over 160 members and has raised over  20k since it started .

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Tell the fans nothing,then ask them to donate to keep the Sport afloat seem to be the way these days.

Don't do it. If you put money into a business you need it to be certified and a share of ownership in the company. Avoid !!! Speedway promoters tend to be slippery as we know.

Edited by Pieman72

3 hours ago, Stuntdouble said:

Berwick supporters club run a five-one draw every month. Winner 500 second prize 100. It’s a tenner a month on direct debit and the rest of the money goes into the stars project to help out the club . Currently sitting on over 160 members and has raised over  20k since it started .

3rd Prize £50

10 hours ago, PirateShip said:

That's speedway, always as been and always will be?? Unless your in Poland but then again it will av a knock on effect over there as well because the riders wont be coming through.

Which is why they have set up the U24 league..

The Football Premier U23 League (and the clubs Academies from a very young age upwards), all have lots of players from overseas to ensure that the quality of the Premier League remains as high as can be..

They know that there isnt enough talent in the UK only to keep that level up, hence pay out many millions collectively to attract some of the best young talent from all parts of the globe...

Obviously not all make it in the very top League with some ending up playing either in the lower leagues over here, going back "home" and playing, or joining another league elsewhere...

Bottom line being the standard remains high so the product remains saleable..

Poland are adopting a similar model to ensure their Leagues all have a flow through of talent (regardless of nationality), in the years to come..

No point building the hugely successful operating and business models that they now have, to just let it all decline due to not being able to replace "the talent" with a similar level of rider.. 

• Like 1

Peter Adams says they are happy with running with 6 teams as they like the plan for the new fixture list. 

Masters

Becker

Douglas

Stevie Worrall

Morris

Nicol

Flint