British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership Playoff Final 1st Leg - Ipswich v Swindon - 15/10

18 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

Lol no disrespect but that's a  bit of a naive post so you think the 2000+ that Blunsdon would get and perhaps a similar crowd tonight would all attend at a neutral venue? I really don't think you would get that much interest from neutrals after all how many neutrals will go tonight or thursday? Plus how is that fair on fans that can attend a home meeting but not away?? 

Maybe your right but the Nations cup at Belle Vue was sold out, I would think Swindon are taking a fair few fans to Ipswich tonight, Ipswich can't be any nearer and Belle Vue was only as a example the venue could be anywhere. All the rugby league fans travel to Wembley and they don't get huge crowds on a week to week basis.

32 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

Lol no disrespect but that's a  bit of a naive post so you think the 2000+ that Blunsdon would get and perhaps a similar crowd tonight would all attend at a neutral venue? 

Ipswich should get a lot more than 2000 tonight....

Up the Witches

The play off final is what all the league racing is about, to have the ability to host a final on your own turf for your own local fans, the money maker grand final...

Speedway is one sport that it would simply not work, the average demographic of a speedway fan wouldn't fancy a 2-3hr coach journey as by the time they are there the coach may as well park at the local A&E for all the seized joints that you would expect.

The nations league is different as it's an international meeting, people are patriotic and would go support team GB in most events if local to them or if it's a sport you follow you're more likely to travel.

Rugby attendances may be poor but they are good in relation to speedway, it's a sport that is more well known to a casual sporting fan than speedway, it's a sport that a fair % of non rugby fans would watch I.e. rugby world cup 

So if your local rugby team get to a final, day out at Wembley on a weekend and a few mates are going more will attend, most have also had the opportunity at some stage in life to "have a go" at rugby via school etc. 

Speedway is so far down compared to most sports I think classing speedway as a minority sport is even sometimes being generous, certainly not a professional one at least.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Maybe your right but the Nations cup at Belle Vue was sold out, I would think Swindon are taking a fair few fans to Ipswich tonight, Ipswich can't be any nearer and Belle Vue was only as a example the venue could be anywhere. All the rugby league fans travel to Wembley and they don't get huge crowds on a week to week basis.

Wouldn't it be unfair for the loyal supporters that have supported both teams all season, but for various reasons, health, cost, transport ETC. To miss out.

• Like 1

I will miss my first home meeting this year as I was naive enough to think the playoffs would be over by now so am sitting by the pool in Menorca. Going to be tight but not without hope.

It was just a thought, maybe it would work maybe it wouldn't . I know I would be going to both legs of the final if it was my team so a trip to a neutral venue for the final would be fine but I realise that isn't the case with everyone.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Up the Witches

Be near double that I reckon

2 hours ago, theblueboy said:

As our learned forumite, The Weasel, has already pointed out, the organisation and leadership of this organisation is shocking. We had a similar issue back in 2012 when 3 times the Poole v Swindon match was attempted before it was finally completed. That was in October too. Lessons learned - nope. As an example, I have been available to attend the original running of both Wolves and Ipswich but cannot attend the re-staged meetings as funnily enough, like most of us, I have work commitments and responsibilities. 

It is unbelievable that a group of people can continually make the same mistakes 'ad nauseum'. From a Swindon perspective 'young' Kilby seems to have an idea about how to engage the Swindon supporters and coaches have now run to Belle Vue, Wolves and Ipswich. He is also introducing a season ticket payable over a year to ease the tremendous financial burden families face but cleverly, you pay all year round to ensure a reliable cashflow to the club. The rest of the promoters, and I am sure that individually they are nice blokes, however, collectively I wouldn't p*** on any of them and trust them to organise the usual night out in the brewery. 

Typically, these dinosaurs are too selfish, shortsighted and refuse to see the bigger picture but like dinosaurs, you all know what happens in the end.....

Admire anyone that travels on coach to meetings that may or may not be on. Lee has done a fantastic job and crowds have increased at The Arena this year. The sport needs more Kilbys, Bishops...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Up the Witches

Yeah fair enough so my point further proven

Listening to the BBC Radio Wiltshire coverage tonight.

Come on you Robins

46 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Be near double that I reckon

Really?  That would be very impressive, I hope it is a big crowd, although it's not the best venue to showcase a decent crowd on tv, bit too open.  

Anyway, here's hoping for a good meeting and a decent, defendable lead for Ipswich, then Thursday will not be a dead rubber as a few have predicted.

24 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Admire anyone that travels on coach to meetings that may or may not be on. Lee has done a fantastic job and crowds have increased at The Arena this year. The sport needs more Kilbys, Bishops...

Great post and Lee has done a great job and so has Mr Bishop at the Isle of Wight who is a real hands on guy.

29 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great post and Lee has done a great job and so has Mr Bishop at the Isle of Wight who is a real hands on guy.

Er indoors was chatting to him earlier was on the London to Swindon coach. Busy guy. 

Heres hoping we can keep this tie open

Swindon are favourites and rightly so but we were huge underdogs against Poole and won so we can hope

Id like us to win by 10 but i can see Swindon winning this tonight

Win or lose its been a great season and hope all riders stay safe