British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership Playoff Final 1st Leg - Ipswich v Swindon - 15/10

9 minutes ago, Smederna said:

What was the attendance at tonights meeting?

An interesting question Smederna. Even a 'guesstimate' would be interesting. But I doubt it will be anything near the 1946 Wembley v West Ham clash! I tend to recall that was a reported 90,000 attendance with more supporters locked out. "...them wuz the speedway days..."

1 minute ago, foreverblue said:

Its a shame the final is so one sided. 

Always was going to be. I think we would have put up a better fight but would have still be comfortably beaten over 2 legs. Swindon too strong this year. We can take comfort knowing we pipped them to finishing top, not that it really meant anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Perhaps Ipswich should now waive the white flag and Poole take their place in the second leg to put up a proper fight and make a decent crowd.

Haven’t you forgotten the way our two young Aussies (under)performed and allowed Ipswich to take our rightful position in the finals. If anybody was waiving white flags it was those two jerks!!

• Like 1

Well done to Swindon. A little unfair on here saying the Witches boys were “going through the motions” and Swindon “wanted it more”. Don’t agree. Swindon are simply just too strong. 

Every pairing that came out looks a potent one. They’ll be worthy champions without doubt. 

6 minutes ago, Aviator said:

Haven’t you forgotten the way our two young Aussies (under)performed and allowed Ipswich to take our rightful position in the finals. If anybody was waiving white flags it was those two jerks!!

Can’t you actually see it was just a bit of light hearted banter?

Other than that I agree fully with you.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Always was going to be. I think we would have put up a better fight but would have still be comfortably beaten over 2 legs. Swindon too strong this year. We can take comfort knowing we pipped them to finishing top, not that it really meant anything.

It did mean something - you got to pick your opponents!  How did that go for you?

• Like 1

If they can only muster 4 heat winner at home, I don't holdout much hope for them away...   Swindon are way too strong for Ipswich to have any chance of success.   Was wondering what was the biggest one sided affair in the playoff history  .  Swindon will no doubt be close to that record...

1 minute ago, Aviator said:

Yes true but although Rosco says it was grippy it wasn't deep enough so much deeper when Poole rode there. 

1 minute ago, g13webb said:

If they can only muster 4 heat winner at home, I don't holdout much hope for them away...   Swindon are way too strong for Ipswich to have any chance of success.   Was wondering what was the biggest one sided affair in the playoff history  .  Swindon will no doubt be close to that record...

Poole v Wolves 2004.

Wolves 41 Poole 49

Poole 63 Wolves 30

BT desperately trying to con people into thinking its not all over!!!.....LOL.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, fliss44 said:

He was chosen to make way for NKI -- as a neutral I would lay blame on Danny King and NKI

Thought NKI was unfortunate not to come away with a paid 14pts.Had it not been for the re-runs he would have.Clear in both but that's the way it goes.

• Like 1

Great job from the Robins, well done lads. Hard lines on the Witches.

Not sure why everyone is going so hard on Ipswich, they were written off as wooden spoon holders at the start of the season yet have still made the League final through a bit of grit and determination that would be a right tonic for a few other teams in this league. People can’t act all surprised and dismissive when they struggle against a massively strong team that underperformed for a lot of the year but really hit their stride since late August.

Credit to the track guys at Foxhall for turning round what was probably an absolute quagmire into a decent racing surface. Some more workable lines would have helped the spectacle a bit and some dirt on the fence for their riders that like that might have helped them, but it wasn’t at all bad considering the weather we’ve had. Not sure if a big dirt line would have helped much anyway, you still need to make decent starts and riders like Doyle, Ellis and Rasmus have no problem with a bit of grip. It’s not like Batch stormed it tonight because it was bald as a coot.

Only half time, but it would take something catastrophic to happen for the Robins to mess this one up.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Can’t you actually see it was just a bit of light hearted banter?

My comment was very light hearted. We were never going to be in the finals with riders like that in the team. I wonder if Jackass has had his ingrown ego, sorry toenail sorted!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ytsejam said:

BT desperately trying to con people into thinking its not all over!!!.....LOL.

What are they meant to say?It's all over now don't bother watching Thursday:blink:

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole v Wolves 2004.

Wolves 41 Poole 49

Poole 63 Wolves 30

You come across so bitter. You say it's banter, but i'm not so sure. 

• Like 3