British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership Playoff Final 1st Leg - Ipswich v Swindon - 15/10

2 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Why? Did someone do that in the semis and live to regret it? ;)

Maybe...;) Not sure who though..:unsure:

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

No, I had them down for 6th

That was uncharacteristically positive of you. 

• Haha 1

Congratulations to Swindon.  We were second best despite our very best efforts. 
I never expected us to win overall but I’m very proud of my team for their efforts this season. 
best bit was knocking out those arrogant pirates and their riders !!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You might need the help of a wet track as well though ;)

And that seems very likely......:P

1 minute ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Congratulations to Swindon.  We were second best despite our very best efforts. 
I never expected us to win overall but I’m very proud of my team for their efforts this season. 
best bit was knocking out those arrogant pirates and their riders !!

You deserve to be proud

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Maybe...;) Not sure who though..:unsure:

Heads it was Poole and tails it wasn't Wolves..... :blink:

• Haha 1

Can’t understand why the track wasn’t prepared much heavier with a greater home advantage in mind!

had the luck against us tonight at times with people falling when we’re on heat advantages twice and the reruns ending up the other way, but being honest if you put the 1-7 against each other I think most would agree only jake is the stronger rider against his opposite number in Vissing, Swindon are now likely champions and credit to them a very good team, enjoy it because you’ll be losing a few to fit it in again next year!

heres hoping for witches 5-1’s in the opening 2 heats Thursday to level the tie and get things interesting!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Can’t understand why the track wasn’t prepared much heavier with a greater home advantage in mind!

had the luck against us tonight at times with people falling when we’re on heat advantages twice and the reruns ending up the other way, but being honest if you put the 1-7 against each other I think most would agree only jake is the stronger rider against his opposite number in Vissing, Swindon are now likely champions and credit to them a very good team, enjoy it because you’ll be losing a few to fit it in again next year!

heres hoping for witches 5-1’s in the opening 2 heats Thursday to level the tie and get things interesting!!

The track prep has been mentioned many times,,,, it's pretty clear how it is most of the time, they need to change the riders accordingly 

2 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

I think the biggest disappointment is that Thursday is unlikely to be a great advert for the sport to the neutrals, let alone any stray new supporters. I hope I'm wrong and we don't get a rerun of the semi at the Abbey. 

Ipswich were even more pants than I expected.

Congratulations to Swindon on the 2019 title, I won't be watching Thursday.

Firstly, well done to the Ipswich track staff for getting the meeting on. Incessant rain clearly made it difficult to prepare a surface that the home riders would appreciate and the score line bears that out.

Secondly, if you look at the Ipswich team pre and post changes they are clearly a better balanced outfit but most of us, certainly the Swindon fans, knew the Robins, if they qualified, would be difficult to beat purely on the the fact the top 5 was so strong. It’s no shame to be beaten by a better team.

Finally, well done the Robins. A professional (from the gating tarts speedway manual) as you could wish to see. The change of Razza for Lampart has given that extra bit in the engine room as it did in 2017 when we sourced Alpen on a ridiculous 4. something average. JD, Razza and Alpen were excellent but Perks for me was the rider of the night and has shown the improvement and desire of a rider on the up and looking to make his mark. Both he and Vissing have stepped up in the last month to make sure a rider having an off night, as Troy did tonight,it is covered. He has a good chance of 3 Championship medals and I hope he makes the most of it and grabs the opportunity. 

Should be the first name on the 2020 Robins team sheet.

• Like 2

Just now, Col said:

Ipswich were even more pants than I expected.

Congratulations to Swindon on the 2019 title, I won't be watching Thursday.

Even if you think the result is a foregone conclusion, we can all hope for some good racing, even if it's only for pride. A few good fights, good runs from the back, surprising heat wins, whatever, could make for good television even if Swindon have a hand (and a half) on the trophy. 

• Like 3

Observations overall

Swindon 1 to 7 definitely a strong team ( stronger than the Witches ) and have come into the final in great form and fully deserved their victory , I'm sure they will be crowned Champions come Thursday ! 

People have commented that the Robins wanted it more tonight , that's simply not the case  ,  they were just better !

Obviously I'm disappointed as a Witches fan but I certainly can't complain about our season , predicted wooden spoon team makes the final , I'm happy with that .

Back to tonight though -

Witches can't gate , mostly whoever got out first generally won the heat hence only 4 heat winners in 15 races tells the story .

When races were rerun Swindon always ended up winning them which didn't help our cause ( prime example heat 1 )

A few jump starts not pulled back and also IMO a couple of questionable decisions certainly didn't do the Witches any favours ,  no point in going into details as certain people will argue that black is white when it's not and it's all about opinions at the end of the day .

I believe that Swindon would probably still have won even if the decisions  had  have gone our way but that's just the way it goes sometimes . 

Anyway I'm a big enough man to accept defeat to a deserving better team .

• Like 3

Good racing at Blunsdon? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hasn't happened at any televised meeting for 15 years at least.

That Ipswich team will struggle to get to 30.

I'll say what I used to say when things didn't go our way...oh begger!

It's going to be tough to overcome that scoreline but I'm not singing yet......