British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership Playoff Final 1st Leg - Ipswich v Swindon - 15/10

Were my eyes deceiving me, or did some old guy by the pits gate give Jason Doyle a shove when he returned to the pits after his first race spill?

A great performance from Swindon, who have produced a brilliant display of how to use the points limit to strengthen your side this year. Rosco may not be the most astute tactical manager, but when it comes to team building and making changes he is the best in the league by a mile. He did it with Musielak before, and he's done it Jensen and Perks this year. The team we started the season with would not have been anywhere near to this side that has finished the year. I wonder what last night's result would have been with James Shanes and Dawid Lampart in the side.

Adam Ellis has been immense in the play-offs. Can he go on to become a top international rider? Looking at how he rode last night, you have to think that he can.

Good to see two proper sides competing in the final, with no guests or R/R by the way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Have I missed something about Perks?  

Yes, he’s gutsy but he’s not much of a points scorer. Average 3.57.

Exactly. He’s like Shanes. Never gives up. But doesn’t score many points. 

However last night he showed the difference in attitude between the teams. He passed and beat Harris with determination and grit. Something Ipswich didn’t have last night.

• Like 1

It was most unfortunate that Swindon were in the finals.   Any of the other six teams would have produced  a far better competition for the league's finale of the season.   Ipswich's semi-final against Poole would have made a fitting climate.     But it is not good viewing when one team is head and shoulders above the rest.   I'm not knocking Swindon, but they are  far too strong for this league and questions need to be asked about the way teams are assembled..

As hard as T & P tried to make the 2nd leg interesting, we all know it will be a foregone conclusion.....         I have no problems Swindon being champions,  but feel Ipswich don't deserve having their noses rubs  in the process....           

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Were my eyes deceiving me, or did some old guy by the pits gate give Jason Doyle a shove when he returned to the pits after his first race spill?

I saw that too. There is a no riding policy in the pits. Maybe he was trying to stop him? (Shades of Cookie at Eastbourne? ;-) )

59 minutes ago, Gavan said:

The expected result last night as ive said all along Swindon are far ahead of any other side.

At least we made it to the final .......imagine Poole getting there and it being the most one sided match for a play off final ever...........

The pathetic ramblings of Shovlar are a joy to behold............never seen such a bitter and trolling poster on here in my life.......this is the man that said Swindon were to top heavy lol.........you can write what he knows about speedway on the back of a stamp

The final should be over now but lets hope we can keep the score respectable............

What a great manager Rosco is.....maybe the Poole bosses need to look at him and try and get him.

What a great season we have had though ...........beating and humiliating the title favourites in the semi final the boys can be proud............

Hope Poole drop down and we can convince Klindt and Josh to come to us

1. If Poole were in the final Swindon would win but it would be far than one sided imo.

2. Rosco? No thanks!

3. Josh prob go to BV if they are interested. Klindt? Idk. 

3 minutes ago, g13webb said:

It was most unfortunate that Swindon were in the finals.   Any of the other six teams would have produced  a far better competition for the league's finale of the season.   Ipswich's semi-final against Poole would have made a fitting climate.     But it is not good viewing when one team is head and shoulders above the rest.   I'm not knocking Swindon, but they are  far too strong for this league and questions need to be asked about the way teams are assembled..

As hard as T & P tried to make the 2nd leg interesting, we all know it will be a foregone conclusion.....         I have no problems Swindon being champions,  but feel Ipswich don't deserve having their noses rubs  in the process....           

It’s unfortunate that the best team is in the final ? 

I suppose if we’d have sent a NL side you would have been happier? 

• Like 6

After a few meetings into the season i called for Bellego to be ousted and Jensen brought in,,,,, shame no one listened. 

Like Swindon are, we would have been head and shoulders above everyone else.  Rosco knows how to make good changes at the right time. 

7 minutes ago, g13webb said:

What sort of questions should be asked? There is a level points limit in place. Swindon played it well this year, just as Poole have in the past.

In a way, the culture of making team changes is brought about by the relatively low points limit anyway. It means the ambitious teams replace "filler" riders as the year goes on.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

There was very, very little of that in the first leg - racing I mean. UK league racing on TV shows itself up as exactly what it is ( regardless of what is at stake ) all over in the first 15 seconds of almsot every race. It is never going to play a part in rebuilding speedway as a well supported sport on the terraces. More likely to be a turn off from finding out where you local track is!

As they used to say in exam questions.....

Compare:

1. A league final in the top league in the land, with the best riders available, including two GP riders. Oh, and it was on TV.

and

2. A league semi final in the second tier.

1. you know about. 2. was the match at Leicester last Saturday, where the 2nd leg between the Lions and the Redcar Bears took place. This was a real thriller that was hard fought by 14 riders that went down to the last race. Would have made excellent TV. And people say Leicester is a poor circuit?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, g13webb said:

No its not ridiculous its just great team building

Rosco is the best there is at making team changes he has proved that over the years

Love some Poole morons going on about Ipswich being an embarrassment...................the team that knocked their own side out..........

Ipswich beaten by the best team no complaints 

At least this year is a proper final unlike last year

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Swindon strengthened the side beautifully this yr, Jensen the real star for me as nobody could have anticipated his form over the piece.

Shocking attitude by some of the pirate supporters on this thread too, no great surprise there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Have I missed something about Perks?  

Yes, he’s gutsy but he’s not much of a points scorer. Average 3.57.

18 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

It’s unfortunate that the best team is in the final ? 

I suppose if we’d have sent a NL side you would have been happier? 

Some of the comments posted on here beggars belief! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hagonshocker said:

Some of the comments posted on here beggars belief! 

I think you will find though that they dont come from us Witches fans

I like to think we accept a defeat gracefully and realise we were outclassed by the leagues best team........no shame in that despite the Poole troll saying otherwise

Thought the ref got both decisions spot on (Ellis exclusion and Heeps)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

1. If Poole were in the final Swindon would win but it would be far than one sided imo.

2. Rosco? No thanks!

3. Josh prob go to BV if they are interested. Klindt? Idk. 

What makes you think Poole would push Swindon harder than Ipswich. You couldnt even beat Ipswich in the semi. Some Poole fans clearly have there heads stuck in the first bend ruts. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Oh no I feel dreadful and so deflated at being able to watch and support such a great side with fabulous team spirit.....not sure how I will ever get over it ....feel so guilty that we are deemed too strong for this league , Christ some do talk rot sometimes at the end of the day of we had started the year naming Perks and Vissing at reserves still eyebrows would be raised but the one change that really changed things was Rasmus for Dawid but honestly who in there right mind expected Jensen to nearly double his starting average???? Troy has become more consistent but that's through Doyle keeping him on his toes .....Adam has become far more consistent Doyle's been Doyle (although DC2 thinks otherwise) ....some should be thankful Tobiasz has had a stop start year to keep us off topping the league by miles too! He has come back with a bang with  8 race with a in the playoffs , yes we look dangerous especially from1-5 but we aren't quite Extraliga strength the way some are blabbering on!

• Like 2