British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership Playoff Final 1st Leg - Ipswich v Swindon - 15/10

50 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It's because Perks came into a position which was, basically, scoring nothing in every match. Swindon had a strong top 5, but the criticism was that their reserves couldn't beat and egg, and we were narrowly losing matches regualarly because our reserves couldn't beat anyone. Perks and Vissing came in and were scoring well against the other reserves, with Perks being a great crowd pleaser with is never say die effort.

Nobody is saying he is the next Loram or Screen.

Adam Ellis, however, just might be...?

Adam Ellis was outstanding last night.  He has really stepped up this year and I'm sure his partnership with Doyle has helped in that.  Long may he continue to improve :t:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ruckerroo said:

Swindon strengthened the side beautifully this yr, Jensen the real star for me as nobody could have anticipated his form over the piece.

Shocking attitude by some of the pirate supporters on this thread too, no great surprise there.

I agree about the pirate supporters. Ipswich gave their all but fell short against a very good Swindon team. 
just to reach the final is a massive achievement and that alone is worth celebrating. 
swindon fully deserved to win and no doubt will take the title. 
im sure fans of lakeside stoke Coventry Buxton and cradley would love to still see their teams in action so for me I’m thankful we still have a team and one that’s done us proud. 

Just now, Steve0 said:

Adam Ellis was outstanding last night.  He has really stepped up this year and I'm sure his partnership with Doyle has helped in that.  Long may he continue to improve :t:

Think the big difference in Adam this year has been his ability to pass. Seen lots of examples of it and even last night when he went down and was excluded it was because he was racing. He has also started to sit still at the tapes!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

It was most unfortunate that Swindon were in the finals.   Any of the other six teams would have produced  a far better competition for the league's finale of the season.   Ipswich's semi-final against Poole would have made a fitting climate.     But it is not good viewing when one team is head and shoulders above the rest.   I'm not knocking Swindon, but they are  far too strong for this league and questions need to be asked about the way teams are assembled..

As hard as T & P tried to make the 2nd leg interesting, we all know it will be a foregone conclusion.....         I have no problems Swindon being champions,  but feel Ipswich don't deserve having their noses rubs  in the process....           

Everyone has the same team average to work to.

3 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I agree about the pirate supporters. Ipswich gave their all but fell short against a very good Swindon team. 
just to reach the final is a massive achievement and that alone is worth celebrating. 
swindon fully deserved to win and no doubt will take the title. 
im sure fans of lakeside stoke Coventry Buxton and cradley would love to still see their teams in action so for me I’m thankful we still have a team and one that’s done us proud. 

Sorry but this Poole fan would like to comment!!

I congratulated the Ipswich team for beating Poole as all of their 1-7 turned up and did their jobs whereas Poole's didn't. Simple as.

BUT for Ippo fans to say their team 'gave their all' against Swindon is surely stretching reality a little far?! You were let down by King and NKI - neither reaching double figures - just like Poole's 1 and 5 in the semi. Also having a non-scoring reserve didn't help your cause - but thats as much down to management decisions as anything else.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

It's my opinion we would have taken a lead to Swindon. Last home meeting against them we won by 10 and Jensen struggled. Only rain would have changed that. I could be way off, the joys of having an opinion which can't be proven! :)

Everyone can have an opinion. What's happened before tho means nothing as proven when you won twice at Ipswich then lost in the semi by let's face it a massive mulluring. Ipswich beat Swindon the other week at home but lost last nigh at home against them. Its on the night and past wins or defeats count for nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I congratulated the Ipswich team for beating Poole as all of their 1-7 turned up and did their jobs whereas Poole's didn't. Simple as.

BUT for Ippo fans to say their team 'gave their all' against Swindon is surely stretching reality a little far?! You were let down by King and NKI - neither reaching double figures - just like Poole's 1 and 5 in the semi. Also having a non-scoring reserve didn't help your cause - but thats as much down to management decisions as anything else.

Absolutely. You are also forgetting Harris who was simply useless. 
In the second semi at Ipswich Holder and Kurtz were woeful, put off by a deep track and not even attempting to disguise their thoughts of conditions. We were rightly beaten.

13 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I think you have missed two out there Harris and Lawson didn't do a lot

15 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Just because certain riders didn’t score what you expect doesn’t mean they were not giving it their all. They came up against a stronger team who scored more. 
I saw holders “efforts “ at foxhall and it’s incomparable to the effort put in by the ipswich riders. 
maybe I see riders as humans rather than point scoring machines 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Huge difference between giving it all and simply not trying

Danny was poor last night but he gave it everything he just couldnt get the set up right and never made a gate....nobody will be hurting more than him this morning 

Kurtz and Holder didnt lift a finger in the semi second leg...they clearly didnt give their all, Holder crying off like a big girls blouse

We got beat by a better team with better riders........but all our boys busted a gut they just werent good enough...........would rather see the boys trying then do what Kurtz and Holder did.............reminded me of Kasprzak who looked either a world beater or a junior

15 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Absolutely. You are also forgetting Harris who was simply useless. 
In the second semi at Ipswich Holder and Kurtz were woeful, put off by a deep track and not even attempting to disguise their thoughts of conditions. We were rightly beaten.

Chris Harris wasnt woeful ...your speedway knowledge is p1ss poor.

Harris has never liked Foxhall and ive yet to see him go really well there

Last night in his first ride he beat Jensen, who didnt drop another point. He was holding off the fast Ellis before he fell and then did challenge Doyle for a couple of laps.......he then passed Batchelor in his next ride to get us a 5-1........................his last ride he was stuck a bit mid track behind Jake and a great ride form Perks and a mistake from Harris cost him a point.....

Harris at Foxhall is only good for 7-8 max and on a track that he doesnt go well at on a surface that because of the weather didnt suit him.......he did roughly what was expected

You just simply post for a reaction...................your team were woefully sunk in the semi so do everyone a favour and let the real fans caht

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Just because certain riders didn’t score what you expect doesn’t mean they were not giving it their all. They came up against a stronger team who scored more. 
I saw holders “efforts “ at foxhall and it’s incomparable to the effort put in by the ipswich riders. 
maybe I see riders as humans rather than point scoring machines 

spot on mate

Its the bitter bitter Poole fans on here that simply seem to want to troll and wind people up with their posts...............

Edited by Gavan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

I dont think its missing something about Perks....its the level he is.....a 3-4 pointer in the top league.

He wasnt signed to get 7 or 8 points but if he can away and score 5 or 6 then job done

Not sure whether you think 3 to 4 points or 5 to 6 is what we should expect from Perks.

He’s a battler but he’s not a trump card at reserve like Covatti, Douglas, Becker, Allen or Berge have been at times this season.

His average is an underwhelming 3.57.

Hopefully next season will see a break through for him.

19 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Chris Harris wasnt woeful ...your speedway knowledge is p1ss poor.

Harris has never liked Foxhall and ive yet to see him go really well there

Last night in his first ride he beat Jensen, who didnt drop another point. He was holding off the fast Ellis before he fell and then did challenge Doyle for a couple of laps.......he then passed Batchelor in his next ride to get us a 5-1........................his last ride he was stuck a bit mid track behind Jake and a great ride form Perks and a mistake from Harris cost him a point.....

Harris at Foxhall is only good for 7-8 max and on a track that he doesnt go well at on a surface that because of the weather didnt suit him.......he did roughly what was expected

You just simply post for a reaction...................your team were woefully sunk in the semi so do everyone a favour and let the real fans caht

You say he posts for a reaction yet you bite every single time? 

For a thread that is about Ipswich V Swindon, can't believe the amount of Posts from Poole supporters who claim Poole would've done better. Fact is you are not in the final.

For these supporters to say that Ipswich weren't giving it their all is complete and utter bull. This is a final and if they think that they are living in cloud cuckoo land. Swindon are just too strong and would beat any of the other play-off teams. No disgrace in that.

The track favoured Swindon last night as we are not a team of gaters, we didn't get the results in the reruns of races that were stopped, but that's speedway. Swindon looked sharper than us but that could've something to do with not riding for two weeks waiting for the second semi to be completed.

Anyway Ipswich have surpassed all expectations from a lot of fans this year and hope we can put up a good showing tomorrow at Swindon.

• Like 4