British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership Playoff Final 1st Leg - Ipswich v Swindon - 15/10

46 minutes ago, mj82 said:

Everyone can have an opinion. What's happened before tho means nothing as proven when you won twice at Ipswich then lost in the semi by let's face it a massive mulluring. Ipswich beat Swindon the other week at home but lost last nigh at home against them. Its on the night and past wins or defeats count for nothing. 

That's true, but you can only base your opinion on what's happened before! Although I will concede that if the track was wet, we prob wouldn't have had much of a chance either.

Anyway a wet track and being annoyed with another team celebrating at half time is Ippo's only chance. 

Perhaps it’s just me but a rider can ‘give their all’ and be ‘up for it’ but fail to score many points because they’ve been beaten by better riders on the night, or had an off night where they struggle to gate and find it hard to pass despite riding their socks off. There isn’t always a direct correlation between effort, attitude & commitment and points. Puk is a case in point, but for re runs he would have only dropped a point in heat 15. That’s speedway. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Not sure whether you think 3 to 4 points or 5 to 6 is what we should expect from Perks.

He’s a battler but he’s not a trump card at reserve like Covatti, Douglas, Becker, Allen or Berge have been at times this season.

His average is an underwhelming 3.57.

Hopefully next season will see a break through for him.

I do think that that is what you should expect

Swindons team was built very top heavy and so therefore a contribution of around 9 or 10 from the 2 reserves combined will see you win most matches

If you hadnt have gone so top heavy then you could have had a free scoring reserve

Ipswich were winning matches early on because we had the best 2 reserves in the league often getting 16 or more between them..............we lost that potency from reserve when they moved up and then again when we signed Niels and had to have a lower scoring reserve in Sarjeant

You cant build as top heavy as Swindon have and then have a Covatti or Allen................so yes if Ellis gets 5 a meeting then job done...............it will be seen wether he can make the next step and be a second string

24 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Not sure whether you think 3 to 4 points or 5 to 6 is what we should expect from Perks.

He’s a battler but he’s not a trump card at reserve like Covatti, Douglas, Becker, Allen or Berge have been at times this season.

Perks did his job... he outscored his fellow number 6 by 5 points. If that was the other way round the Witches would have won the meeting 46 -44. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Sometimes comments on here really show up people’s lack of humility less of course speedway knowledge!

Perks was brought in to help Swindon over loss of confidence of their reserves not to win matches on his own!

For  the guy to even return to UK after he was dropped so many times by other clubs because they needed strengthening gives him credit for his commitment.

Edited by GWC
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, GWC said:

Sometimes comments on here really show up people’s lack of humility less of course speedway knowledge!

Perks was brought in to help Swindon over loss of confidence of their reserves not to win matches on his own!

For  the guy to even return to UK after he was dropped so many times by other clubs because they needed strengthening gives him slot of credit and commitment.

Two or three seasons ago neither Perks nor Joe Jacobs was selected by any team and I started a CL thread suggesting that they should be, instead of the likes of Jan Graversen.

My point was that for all the praise he’s still only a 3.57 PL rider. I do wish him all the best.

• Like 1

Well done to Swindon, you will be worthy winners of the title. Top performance by your team except Batch who had an off night. Ipswich tried their best but just not good enough in the end .

Can I just say I am not in the least bit bitter.

No idea why Rosco thought the track was grippy it wasn't anywhere near as deep as when Poole rode there in the semi.

1 hour ago, Odds On said:

Must of been one of the biggest crowds at Ipswich for many a season?

Think it would have been much bigger if the meeting had been on a Saturday like the well attended semi final.

And on the subject of Ellis Perks - his CL average has risen from 3.95 to 6.4 this season making him one of the most improved riders in British speedway this season. His current CL average is greater than Rasmus Jensen's was at the same age (5.92 for Somerset in 2015)

What was the point of replacing Sarjeant with Allen in heat 11? Neither were likely to beat Doyle or Ellis, would have been better getting Sarjeant's 3rd ride out of the way then leaving Allen for 14

2 hours ago, Odds On said:

Must of been one of the biggest crowds at Ipswich for many a season?

My estimate would be 3500+ possibly 4

Even one of the Doyle put crew commented on "the amazing crowd" in the pits after (number and noise)

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Perhaps it’s just me but a rider can ‘give their all’ and be ‘up for it’ but fail to score many points because they’ve been beaten by better riders on the night, or had an off night where they struggle to gate and find it hard to pass despite riding their socks off. There isn’t always a direct correlation between effort, attitude & commitment and points. Puk is a case in point, but for re runs he would have only dropped a point in heat 15. That’s speedway. 

Niels was incredibly unlucky. The only caveat to that from me would be that when he was behind in those re runs he never looked like challenging which was a bit disappointing

They were all trying their socks off but were just 2nd best overall

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Well done to Swindon, you will be worthy winners of the title. Top performance by your team except Batch who had an off night. Ipswich tried their best but just not good enough in the end .

Can I just say I am not in the least bit bitter.

No idea why Rosco thought the track was grippy it wasn't anywhere near as deep as when Poole rode there in the semi.

Apparently it was quite grippy but not in a deep/heavy way which it was more so for the semi final

With the colder night and general dampness of the air the riders were saying it was actually very greasy which made it a little tricky at times

The quickest way around was defo near or on the inside,,,, the place not many if any of our riders ride. We may have picked up a couple of extra points using the curb, but it was nearly all lost from the first few foot.