British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

issue 94 - Gary Guglielmi, Neil & Ken Middleditch, Ipswich v King's Lynn, Golden Hammer, Glasgow Memories, Scott Lamb,

Issue 94 of our retro magazine crammed with nostalgia from the 70s and 80s includes . . .

GARY GUGLIELMI – exclusive interview

Almost 35 years after his racing career was abruptly ended by a harsh ban and he was sentenced to prison in his native Sydney, former Australia, Coventry and Boston star Gary Guglielmi bears his heart and soul in a riveting new eight-page interview with TONY McDONALD.

For the first time, we're bringing you the Full Gaz . . .

'Googy' on . . .

* His ill-fated plan to smuggle drugs concealed in his speedway bike
* Serving nine months in prison
* Billy Sanders, his World Pairs partner
* 21 years' of marriage to Judy Sanders
* The massive impact and guilt of a double family suicide
* Finding solace in faith and religion
* Ole Olsen
* Fighting Kelvin Mullarkey

* His 'Gary Williams' nom de plume at Coatbridge
* Finding new love
* Exclusive never before seen family pictures
* Plus much more . . .

BIG NIGHTS: Golden Hammer

Continuing his six-page review of some of the most popular domestic individual meetings, PHIL CHARD heads for Cradley Heath to reminisce about the Golden Hammer, the annual classic that was the 1977 brainchild of go-ahead Heathens boss Dan McCormick. Previous winners include Ole Olsen, Scott Autrey, Chris Morton, Kenny Carter, Hans Nielsen, Sam Ermolenko, plus home favourites Bobby Schwartz, Lance King, Erik Gundersen, Alan Grahame, Simon Cross.

RIVALS: Ipswich v King's Lynn

Continuing our new series revisiting club rivalries, ROB PEASLEY reviews classic matches between fierce East Anglian top flight opponents Ipswich and King's Lynn, featuring legendary skippers John Louis and Terry Betts, plus Billy Sanders, Tony Davey, Kevin Jolly, Dennis Sigalos, Michael Lee, Dave Jessup, Richard Hellsen, Mel Taylor and many others.

SON OF MY FATHER: NEIL & KEN MIDDLEDITCH

The Middleditches are part of the rich fabric of Poole Speedway. RICHARD BOTT catches up with 50s legend Ken Middleditch – but first a new interview with his son Neil, who has done and seen it all in a riding and management career spanning almost six decades at Wimborne Road.

BACKCHAT with MARTIN ROGERS

The column where readers fire questions at our lead columnist. As one of the most respected promoters and administrators of the Backtrack era, no-one is better qualified to respond to the burning issues of the 70s and 80s, This time Martin responds to John Berry's suitability as the BSPA's Director of Operations, discusses the merits of various referees, and considers whether promoters have been negligent in their contractual dealings with riders.

SCOTT LAMB – exclusive interview

A wholehearted trier, modest Scott Lamb admits to ANDREW SKEELS that he probably partied too much in his racing days with Edinburgh, Newcastle and Berwick and never set out to become World Champion.

GLASGOW: 50 Memorable Moments

DOUG NICOLSON navigates through his local club's turbulent history and multiple homes. There are honourable mentions for Tigers legends Tommy Miller, Charlie Monk, Jim McMillan, the Beatons, Steve Lawson, Kenny McKinna, Robert Nagy, etc.

STOKE CHOKER

Stoke's Loomer Road is the latest in a long line of speedway venues to fall victim to developers. We list all 89 British league tracks lost to the sport over the past 70 years.

Plus: Obits on Clive Featherby and Ian MacDonald.

Remember, we no longer sell single editions, so please subscribe at www.retro-speedway.com

BT 94_edit page.jpg

• Like 2

Looking forward in receiving my copy!

• Like 1

Anyone know an email address I can get in touch with backtrack, I took out a subscription last Tuesday but no sign of issue 94 yet. I tried emailing editorial@retro-speedway.com but that failed 

Thanks for any help

Try subs@retro-speedway.com

I subscribe from NZ and I've received Issue 94 today

• Like 1

Interesting reading Martin Rogers' rsponse to the question I put to him regarding John Berry's "Suitability as the BSPA's Director of Operations". His view that it was not surprising that fellow promoters made the proposal untenable but admitted that in other sports (mainly American based) was that the system worked very well and was the accepted working model.

Sent off my subscription last week, this morning received copy of Backtrack and Classic Speedway cannot wait to read it later