British Speedway Forum
soupy

Newcastle v Redcar Sunday 13th October@ Stade De Brough 6-30pm

14 minutes ago, ch958 said:

its a cracking stadium but the straights have always been slightly too long for the bends - conversely i believe STMP is the opposite with straights being slightly too short. I think racing at BP would be greatly improved by shortening the straights - I believe Wolves did this donkeys years ago and Swindon of course have just done it, in both cases the racing improved.

We(George and I ) took the 1st and 2nd bends in 2 metres in about 1998, as it was too tight and it opened the corners up. It's  now 12 metres wide with the 3rd and 4th bends 14 metres. The danger with taking the bends in is, that while the bends get wider and therefore the straights slightly shorter, it does damage the drains on the kerbs and takes something off the banking which we have constantly dished in around the inside line, as the stadium owners have never let us increase the height of the outside track and the fence, as they believe the doggy punters have to see the doggies legs during the race. I calculated that even an increase of 18inches still allows this to happen, but they won't budge and of course it could be costly. I think it would improve racing, making it a bit more like a big track than a very small track. Redcar has decent banking at both ends. This is what has happened at Glasgow, and that has improved the racing very much so this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

We(George and I ) took the 1st and 2nd bends in 2 metres in about 1998, as it was too tight and it opened the corners up. It's  now 12 metres wide with the 3rd and 4th bends 14 metres. The danger with taking the bends in is, that while the bends get wider and therefore the straights slightly shorter, it does damage the drains on the kerbs and takes something off the banking which we have constantly dished in around the inside line, as the stadium owners have never let us increase the height of the outside track and the fence, as they believe the doggy punters have to see the doggies legs during the race. I calculated that even an increase of 18inches still allows this to happen, but they won't budge and of course it could be costly. I think it would improve racing, making it a bit more like a big track than a very small track. Redcar has decent banking at both ends. This is what has happened at Glasgow, and that has improved the racing very much so this year. 

Instead of raising the outside, can we not dig down on the inside? Obviously a slow decrease as you get closer to the centre green, to stop pools of water forming? You'd think the dogs would want the corners moved further inside, to lessen the amount of shale that gets thrown onto the dog track?

Will the fearless Eric Thornton be investigating the ownership position? I appreciate he may have been a bit miffed at being stood down by the SS, but I think we should be told what's going on, and maybe the nonexistent Eric is just the man for the job. 

Or perhaps that centre green announcer from a few years back whose qualification was that he'd been found in the pub and knew absolutely nothing about speedway...a tradition admirably carried on by Roy...

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Bear_Bottom said:

You could also use the sweetener the ref was on ;).

Got the Wright/Ostergaard incident right... Wright clearly wiped Ostergaard out going into the first bend because he was jealous of how well he was gating all night...

However the Phillips/Barker incident was a bit dodgy... Danny locked up, and Barker couldn't do much other than hit Danny... Awkward looking fall in the end, but at the end of the day, not Danny fault... In no conceivable universe should Danny Phillips be expected to race against Ben Barker and Jordan Stewart... It's just wrong... He probably panicked when he looked behind and saw who he was in front of... It was embarrassing watching the races that had the likes of Erik Riss and Max Clegg in and Tom Woolley and Danny Phillips wobbling around at the back... Nearly a lap behind...

To add: Not to mention the referee let Jordan Stewart ride in his white helmet colour all night :blink: Never seen that before... And there's no way you can tell me that it was yellow... Because it just wasn't

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Got the Wright/Ostergaard incident right... Wright clearly wiped Ostergaard out going into the first bend because he was jealous of how well he was gating all night...

However the Phillips/Barker incident was a bit dodgy... Danny locked up, and Barker couldn't do much other than hit Danny... Awkward looking fall in the end, but at the end of the day, not Danny fault... In no conceivable universe should Danny Phillips be expected to race against Ben Barker and Jordan Stewart... It's just wrong... He probably panicked when he looked behind and saw who he was in front of... It was embarrassing watching the races that had the likes of Erik Riss and Max Clegg in and Tom Woolley and Danny Phillips wobbling around at the back... Nearly a lap behind...

To add: Not to mention the referee let Jordan Stewart ride in his white helmet colour all night :blink: Never seen that before... And there's no way you can tell me that it was yellow... Because it just wasn't

Not a bad post but to suggest that Charles Wright would ever be jealous of Ostergaard  is probably the daftest statement of the year!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, erimus11 said:

Not a bad post but to suggest that Charles Wright would ever be jealous of Ostergaard  is probably the daftest statement of the year!

Jealous last night ;) It was more a compliment of how great Ulrich was gating last night... Charles and Erik were by far and away the best riders on the night and I take absolutely nothing away from them, top quality from both of them... Been a big fan of Erik for a while now and Charles is always entertaining to watch... Would have loved to have been at the British Final to watch him

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dandelion said:

Jealous last night ;) It was more a compliment of how great Ulrich was gating last night... Charles and Erik were by far and away the best riders on the night and I take absolutely nothing away from them, top quality from both of them... Been a big fan of Erik for a while now and Charles is always entertaining to watch... Would have loved to have been at the British Final to watch him

To say we were getting a touch nervous after heat 12 is an understatement!

We were confident that heats 13 and 15 would see us through given, as you mentioned, Charles and Erik, are top drawer riders and rode those heats to almost perfection , Riss hitting the front and Charles team riding behind him, albeit he did it the hard way in heat 13!

For me, the biggest plus on the night was Jordan Stewart.  To come back to a track were he got a duck egg last time and pick up 9 points was a massive bonus for him and the team. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, erimus11 said:

To say we were getting a touch nervous after heat 12 is an understatement!

We were confident that heats 13 and 15 would see us through given, as you mentioned, Charles and Erik, are top drawer riders and rode those heats to almost perfection , Riss hitting the front and Charles team riding behind him, albeit he did it the hard way in heat 13!

For me, the biggest plus on the night was Jordan Stewart.  To come back to a track were he got a duck egg last time and pick up 9 points was a massive bonus for him and the team. 

I was pretending to be confident... But after we went all square into heat 13 I knew we had been beaten because of heats 13 and 15... Even if we managed a 5-1 in heat 14... Got to admit... I don't keep track of the scores and didn't really notice Jordan as a stand out rider on the night, was surprised when I got home and found he scored 9... Good on the lad, hope he enjoys home over the winter and enjoys being a Bear in 2020 :t: Even if he is at the wrong side of the Tyne Tees derbies ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

yes George told me that one day (I think he was a bit offended haha) As always with dog tracks you have limitations and as you say £££

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Instead of raising the outside, can we not dig down on the inside? Obviously a slow decrease as you get closer to the centre green, to stop pools of water forming? You'd think the dogs would want the corners moved further inside, to lessen the amount of shale that gets thrown onto the dog track?

I did say we have regularly dished out the inside line, but there is only so far you can go and as can be seen we already have severe flooding when it rains. Any shale that does breach the track sheets is all taken off by hand after the sheets are removed after the meeting. We are in trouble if we don’t.

3 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Sorry, but my vote for rider of the night was Max Clegg by a country mile. He rode far above the standard he is currently at, and inflicted the only defeat of the night on Erik Riss. FROM THE BACK! Gating tart he ain't.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Any shale that does breach the track sheets is all taken off by hand after the sheets are removed after the meeting. We are in trouble if we don’t.

Av heard that there is a plan in place to lessen the 'shale breach' for next season. Whether or not it is implicated is another matter tho.

Hope your feeling ok/better btw.

Edited by ruffdiamond

3 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Av heard that there is a plan in place to lessen the 'shale breach' for next season. Whether or not it is implicated is another matter tho.

Hope your feeling ok/better btw.

Yes thanks.

Bloody annoyed that the Chronicle didn't carry a full report and pictures tonight about the classic race off last night at Brough. Plenty of TOON and Mackem fillers, and other minor sports, but nothing about our meeting final which was a national final after all. Could be we didn't send things in to them, but that would be so unusual for us. We should and need to publicise big events like this regardless of who won. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tsunami said:

George in his programme notes last night said :-

"As for 2020, well at this present time it's too early to say however I would just like to say that it has been a total pleasure to oversee Newcastle Speedway in the longest period of continued operation in it's history, these past 23 years have flown over, we have had many successes in that time but the actual 23 years is the important thing to me. And my sincere wish is that period extends to 24 years even if someone else is at the helm the club."  

Hope that helps.

It will be sad if George isn't there next season in some capacity as I have always found him pleasant saying hello when at Redcar and when we came up to Brough Park to support Jacob Bukhave.

Whatever happens at Brough next season though the main thing is I hope the fans will be happy otherwise some will walk away and the die hards will be left.

I was chatting to a Diamonds fan last night and he said "We just weren't good enough.

Some don't like the track there, but I don't mind watching the racing there because if all tracks were the same it would be boring.

• Like 2