British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Big Al

Championship Grand Final 2019

Well done Ellis..Winners medal with Swindon and Leicester.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Well done Ellis..Winners medal with Swindon and Leicester.

Leicester x2 barring accidents

10 minutes ago, Cerro said:

Firstly can i say a huge congratulations to Leicester on their win, better team over the 2 legs and deserved their victory.

Far too many last places over the 2 legs for us and ultimately it cost us. With all the early exclusions tonight I never felt like we ever built up any momentum, barely gated in a heat advantage position all night. Might of got a bit of luck in ht 6 with the Douglas exclusion, I felt that could of went either way. 

Heat 13 masterclass from Cook, not that we would expect any less but still simply sublime.

Onto the final blow in heat 14 and what a ride from young Ellis Perks. To clinch the league in that manner, as much as it hurts us Tigers fans you can't help but doff your cap to the young man for a ride like that, absolutely fair play. Also would like to say what a show of sportsmanship from Lawlor to get the bike off the track when the Tigers were on a 5-1, really wouldn't of blamed him at all if he had stayed down to force a re run, that was a touch of class. I dunno what happened at the weekend between him and the fans down at Leicester but again I have to hold my hands up and say fair play to him for that. 

Looking back and noted that we gained +12 points in heat 13 & 15 over the two legs but still it wasn't enough. So if that doesn't tell you that the best 'team' won then I don't know what will.

Once again congratulations Leicester and enjoy your night! :t::drink:

You. my friend, prove why I still go to speedway after nearly 50 years. A true fan who acknowledges good racing, real sportsmanship and real speedway when he sees it. Tonight saw two quality sides go head-to-head for the trophy we all want. Leicester won, of course, but the real winner was all of us. Even "watching" on updates was nail biting. So as a Leicester fan (till the Bees return) can I say, "Well done to Glasgow". 

• Like 7

When aggregate margins are tight (in any sport) there will always be a team cursing their bad luck. But Glasgow need to remember that we out scored everyone in the regular league season to finish top of the league and then did it all again against the other teams in the top four. Forget any bad luck Glasgow consider they may have had, there was nothing lucky about the Lion's success. The best teams in any sport win the league (Brian Clough quote and he was right). The Lions team epitomises what team speedway is all about, in that providing race winners is simply not enough. Two Glasgow riders went through the card tonight and a different one did the same at Leicester at the weekend. The Tigers provided 19 out of 30 race winners over two legs and still lost! Glasgow cannot be considered unlucky when a team built so top heavy fail get results when it matters, even when their big guns deliver scores above their averages. They will no doubt review their team structure/balance for next season.

Anyway, this was a fabulous finale to the season, rightly contested by the best two teams in the league.

• Like 3

Congratulations to the Lions 12 points just proved to much to claw back as i suspected.

But take nothing away from Leicester best team over the 2 legs have won the title and fair play to them fully deserved.

And finally Ellis Perks take a bow what a ride in heat 14 to seal it fantastic ride young man.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, highroad119 said:

No title at Glasgow this year, so well done Lions on the title. Plenty digs at the "money men" not winning the title but these individuals have just served up the most entertaining season of speedway I can remember. Makes them winners too I reckon.

Well of course they would , they were a team of mostly Ex Comets to begin with :D So it looks like those 12 points weren't that easy to claw back as they thought. Another year , another empty trophy cabinet , well you could try asking Jacko to become Team Manager next season and get rid of Mr Cheeseballs ,  maybe he could show you the way to becoming a Treble Winning Team :lol: 

Well done Leicester , enjoy every minute and look after our Trophies   :cheers: :t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Congratulations to Leicester on the championship, Perks has really come on in leaps and bounds this season Worrall not really a good guest with a below average return and underlining why I wouldn't re sign him next season, good to see kyle rack up a good score though.

Congratulations to Leicester, Ellis Perks was the match winner, Glasgow rode their socks off, but it wasn't to be. The racing however was superb, if only we could have racing like that at more tracks. Again Congratulations to the Lions.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

1969 the year I saw the Lions live for the first time. 
2019 the year I saw the Lions win the league for the first time .

50 years! 
Thank you to everybody for making it happen.  

I first went to Blackbird Road as an eleven year old in 1949 so just think what waiting 70 years feels like! Hope the Cubs can make it a quadruple - that would take some beating!

• Like 1

Leicester have been the side all season even when Richie got injured they dug in & kept it up & not forgetting josh bates either but hats off to Stuart Dickson for a well ran team 

• Like 1

Congratulations Leicester.

Young Perks definitely brought his A game to the table tonight.

Also think that Joe Lawler deserves a special mention tonight scored above what most would have expected and considering the history between him and Glasgow promotion.

Back to the drawing board for Glasgow, but I am sure that they will be back next season challenging for honours.

25 minutes ago, spin king said:

Congratulations Leicester.

Young Perks definitely brought his A game to the table tonight.

Also think that Joe Lawler deserves a special mention tonight scored above what most would have expected and considering the history between him and Glasgow promotion.

Back to the drawing board for Glasgow, but I am sure that they will be back next season challenging for honours.

with Ellis Perks as number 1 and a better balanced team ?