British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Big Al

Championship Grand Final 2019

Ellis Perks is now a Premiership, Championship and as good as a National League winner all in the one season, not many if any have done that before in the same season

It almost played out as though one vastly experienced team manager made sure his team had cool heads and didn't do anything stupid, whilst another less experienced "fan" whipped his boys up into making rash decisions, throwing away points and applying no pressure. I don't think Leicester felt under any real pressure till that 5:1 went in in heat 13, yet had Glasgow clawed back 6 points after the first 4/5 heats, the pressure would have been on, then who knows what could have happened. Much credit due to SD I think

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wtf said:

It almost played out as though one vastly experienced team manager made sure his team had cool heads and didn't do anything stupid, whilst another less experienced "fan" whipped his boys up into making rash decisions, throwing away points and applying no pressure. I don't think Leicester felt under any real pressure till that 5:1 went in in heat 13, yet had Glasgow clawed back 6 points after the first 4/5 heats, the pressure would have been on, then who knows what could have happened. Much credit due to SD I think

Definitely something in that . The whole way the meeting was presented last night was aimed at whipping the crowd and the riders into a frenzy . The singing , the flares , the whole pre match stuff had the adverse effect on our younger team members . Sam Jensen was all over the place   , Connor Bailey had a nightmare meeting . 

The Rasmus Jensen fall in heat 4 killed us , he seemed to hit something on bend 3 which caused the loss of control . The Douglas exclusion could have gone either way , if ever the all 4 back option could be extended to the end of lap 1 , there was the perfect example of a good argument for it . 

But a thrilling contest between the best two sides in the league produced fitting champions . But if only Paul Starke hadn't got injured . 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wtf said:

It almost played out as though one vastly experienced team manager made sure his team had cool heads and didn't do anything stupid, Much credit due to SD I think

Stewart Dickson is most probably the best team manager in UK speedway. The line up of the Lions at the start of the season was a mixture of known tried and tested riders complimented by those with something to prove or potential improvers. AKA the returning Douglas and the promising Perks. Then as injuries began to hit the line up, the guest he brought in did a great job as did the adjustments in the team line ups which not only took into account how riders rode together as a pair but also as a match up to the opposition none more so than in the final where the effect of the Tigers big guns was reduced by the more balanced Lions pairings ensuring fewer last places.
Besides the management the tactical aspects he clearly can clearly build a great team ethic and the way he has got the best out of Ty Proctor (which SD admitted the "how to" had him perplexed when TP joined the Lions) is testomony tohis man managemnt skills.

Maybe UK speedway missed a trick by not appointing him to lead the GB squad. Meanwhile lets hope he can be persueded to stay with the Lions for next year and beyond.

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Stuart Dixon is most probably the best team manager in UK speedway. The line up of the Lions at the start of the season was a mixture of known tried and tested riders complimented by those with something to prove or potential improvers. AKA the returning Douglas and the promising Perks. Then as injuries began to hit the line up, the guest he brought in did a great job as did the adjustments in the team line ups which not only took into account how riders rode together as a pair but also as a match up to the opposition none more so than in the final where the effect of the Tigers big guns was reduced by the more balanced Lions pairings ensuring fewer last places.
Besides the management the tactical aspects he clearly can clearly build a great team ethic and the way he has got the best out of Ty Proctor (which SD admitted the "how to" had him perplexed when TP joined the Lions) is testomony tohis man managemnt skills.

Maybe UK speedway missed a trick by not appointing him to lead the GB squad. Meanwhile lets hope he can be persueded to stay with the Lions for next year and beyond.

Can`t agree- Stewart Dickson for me ;)

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Well done to Leicester, always good to see the team who finished top ending up as champions. Also well done to Glasgow fans for their dignity in defeat and not biting to any of the garbage posted on the thread by people whose teams were nowhere near the final, seems that jealousy will never go away. 

Jealousy ....don't be so ridiculous :rofl: I can't see any post from the 3 usual suspects congratulating Leicester and taking it with dignity in defeat , they leave themselves wide open to criticism , only shouting when they're winning then go into hiding when they lose ....

Over to you Manse ,Solidmango, Sharpenrake  :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Absolutely jealousy. Has been there since Glasgow were bought, all very sad. People don’t take joy in another team losing for any other reason, they wouldn’t care either way otherwise. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Can`t agree- Stewart Dickson for me ;)

I agree too! And to prove it I have edited original post. 
thanks for pointing it out. 
my apologies to Stewart  - no offence intended. 

15 hours ago, Neila said:

Poor Tigger's all that money spent and nowt in trophy cabinet apart from spiders and cobwebs :) well done Leicester

Poor Comets all that shale and an air fence in storage somewhere not a bike on track or a team to support. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well done Leicester on their victory.

I will disagree with the people saying they were clearly the best team over the year.

Glasgow's bad luck was the factor they topped the league. Sam Jensen falling in ht 14 @ Leicester robbed us of a win there.

As to the circus freaks of Workington laughing at the Tigers, it has been a pleasure giving you something to talk about over the season. There is nothing but jealousy coming from your direction towards Glasgow. The snide remarks about money etc.

The Glasgow promotion are a credit to the sport, setting the benchmark for other teams to follow. Absolute professionalism. How did the Worky business model work??

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, nagy1 said:

I will disagree with the people saying they were clearly the best team over the year.

Glasgow's bad luck was the factor they topped the league. Sam Jensen falling in ht 14 @ Leicester robbed us of a win there.

As to the circus freaks of Workington laughing at the Tigers, it has been a pleasure giving you something to talk about over the season. There is nothing but jealousy coming from your direction towards Glasgow. The snide remarks about money etc.

The Glasgow promotion are a credit to the sport, setting the benchmark for other teams to follow. Absolute professionalism. How did the Worky business model work??

Ooops, touched a nerve did we :party::D And that is where you lot let yourself down every time....gloating about how much money Glasgow have and how amazing they are ....Every fan and Promotion of any team would love to have the money but most are just treading water, but hey you carry on because in 5 years time there will hardly be any teams left for the Amazing Glasgow to ride against !!! Speedway is on its arse, only so many teams Buster Chapman can buy !

Edited by Taylorj
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely jealousy. Has been there since Glasgow were bought, all very sad. People don’t take joy in another team losing for any other reason, they wouldn’t care either way otherwise. 

Hang on a minute, the clowns on here take great joy that Workington folded last season . Nagy1 a prime example on their last 2 posts , along with the other 3 :rolleyes:. All very sad . I guarantee you its not jealousy where I'm concerned that's an absolute certainty, but nice to see the smug few on here brought back down a peg or two :approve:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nagy1 said:

A bit of gloating going on from fans of various teams. Unsavoury. Yes Glasgow oozes professionalism but owning your own stadium goes a long way to what you can do with your facility.  The Faccennas ploughed mega bucks into Ashfield; other promotions don’t have that financial background. It would be great if we did. Don’t think any fans of any team should post about a closure of a track. We need as many teams as possible in our sport. Again well done to both teams and congratulations to Leicester, topped the table, tactically sound last night, worthy winners.

• Like 3