British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Big Al

Championship Grand Final 2019

If Paul Starke had been riding .... If Rasmus Jensen hadn't fell ... If ... If .... well who's to say if Richie Worrall had been riding then he may well have done a lot better than his brother did on the night and in any case it doesn't matter because  Lions won ...... :D:D

Gotta say that Glasgow were a strong team over the two legs but not as strong as us !

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 1 valve said:

1969 the year I saw the Lions live for the first time. 
2019 the year I saw the Lions win the league for the first time .

50 years! 
Thank you to everybody for making it happen.  

Ditto. All 4 lines!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nagy1 said:

Oooft. You think McGregor helps Glasgow or has a Glasgow bias? Behave. We beat Leicester by 7 points that night. How would that point of been the difference?

Glasgow's bad luck gifted the league to the Lions. If Paul Starke had been riding it would not even of been a fair contest.

Or if you never got rid of Sarjeant in a desperation move for silverware. All ifs buts and maybes end of the day you weren’t good enough once again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nagy1 said:

Oooft. You think McGregor helps Glasgow or has a Glasgow bias? Behave. We beat Leicester by 7 points that night. How would that point of been the difference?

Glasgow's bad luck gifted the league to the Lions. If Paul Starke had been riding it would not even of been a fair contest.

Real shame for you that Victor Palovaara could'nt be brought in to replace him. 

Clearly, Leicester's trump card was Ellis Perks. Perks has been highly unpopular with supporters at many tracks in the past, but this season he has knuckled down and produced a string of outstanding performances and has earned respect for his efforts and his skilful riding. I strongly disagree with riders being allowed to ride for more than one team, but in Perks' case, he has been a credit to all three this season.

• Like 1

I've just been onto our local paper website, the Leicester Mercury, and not a bean about Leicester Lions winning the Championship title for the first time EVER!  If there's anything there then it's hidden away.  Plenty of other news about other sports other than rugby or football, but nothing about ours.  Shame.  Well Done Leicester Lions.  A great team effor for the whole season.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Edited by Nobblytriers
didn't look right when posted
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Clearly, Leicester's trump card was Ellis Perks. Perks has been highly unpopular with supporters at many tracks in the past, but this season he has knuckled down and produced a string of outstanding performances and has earned respect for his efforts and his skilful riding. I strongly disagree with riders being allowed to ride for more than one team, but in Perks' case, he has been a credit to all three this season.

Any reason for him being unpopular? Just curious

8 hours ago, iainb said:

Glasgow pretty much pressed the self destruct button in the final over the 2 legs right from the start (of both meetings) with countless points thrown away which in hindsight could have seen them as comfortable winners. I'm not saying Leicester were lucky as there's no luck in touching the tapes or falling off or knocking your team mates off and some may argue in engine failures also... but Leicester have such a solid side with a great blend of youth and experience that any dropped points prove almost impossible to claw back.

Yes, we gave it away rather than having it taken from us. Some of our younger team members were unable to adapt to the greasy conditions that experience brings. They will be better for it. Both Sam and Connor have a big part to play in our future. Be back in 6 months to do it all over again.

20 minutes ago, MD said:

Yes, we gave it away rather than having it taken from us. Some of our younger team members were unable to adapt to the greasy conditions that experience brings. They will be better for it. Both Sam and Connor have a big part to play in our future. Be back in 6 months to do it all over again.

Lack of dirt as opposed to greasy IMO.If you watch the reruns on the big screen you would have seen that Rasmus picked up  grip pushed him across the track same as Worrell coming out 2nd bend.That track looked hard packed to me and others around with no dirt, 3rdbend looked like an ice rink at the start of meeting.Cold weather probably didn’t help.Have seen some great speedway at Ashfield this season though.

2 hours ago, Nobblytriers said:

I've just been onto our local paper website, the Leicester Mercury, and not a bean about Leicester Lions winning the Championship title for the first time EVER!  If there's anything there then it's hidden away.  Plenty of other news about other sports other than rugby or football, but nothing about ours.  Shame.  Well Done Leicester Lions.  A great team effor for the whole season.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I checked the mercury...there was actually an article about speedway, tonights cubs meetings, but nothing about the title win, just as there was no coverage of the shield win. Disgraceful !!!

16 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Ellis Perks is now a Premiership, Championship and as good as a National League winner all in the one season, not many if any have done that before in the same season

Nick Morris has done it but I agree it is a tremendous achievement.

Well done to him and to Leicester on a great season and championship title 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion. Leicester won the league. Well done them. But they cherry picked guests for each track most of season..... should they have been made to replace richie worrall????

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Maybe rise above it and be the bigger person?

Stay classy. Be better not bitter. Taking delight in another team’s heartbreak is not a good look and makes it worse for the genuine and pleasant Glasgow fans on here who have to read all the tripe.

Bloody hell , I didn't know you knew me that well :wink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Big Al said:

Real shame for you that Victor Palovaara could'nt be brought in to replace him. 

Are you alluding to the way Glasgow didn't allow Leicester to loan Victor? Glasgow would of been happy for your to buy him. If your promotion had played ball with Sarj at the start of the season there wouldn't of been a problem.

• Like 1