British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Big Al

Championship Grand Final 2019

nagy1 It has to be remembered that Sarj agreed to sign for Leicester in 2019 he was sent the contract, local sponsorship was renewed, the club chased him for two weeks to get the signed contract back and kept saying that he had forgotten and would do it.

Then 3 weeks later Leicester found that Glasgow had come in and offered a deal that was too good to turn down and were offering him near heat leader money. So quite obviously the Leicester promotion were annoyed hence the stance of you want Sarj you have to buy him.

It all ended well for Leicester they got a transfer fee and moved for Ellis Perks instead who has been brilliant all year and did a lot more than James would have done I feel.

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, flagrag said:

nagy1 It has to be remembered that Sarj agreed to sign for Leicester in 2019 he was sent the contract, local sponsorship was renewed, the club chased him for two weeks to get the signed contract back and kept saying that he had forgotten and would do it.

Then 3 weeks later Leicester found that Glasgow had come in and offered a deal that was too good to turn down and were offering him near heat leader money. So quite obviously the Leicester promotion were annoyed hence the stance of you want Sarj you have to buy him.

It all ended well for Leicester they got a transfer fee and moved for Ellis Perks instead who has been brilliant all year and did a lot more than James would have done I feel.

And there lies the problem as to why folk love seeing Glasgow get done over , poaching clubs riders after they had agreed to sign , same as Workington with Rasmus last season , scopping crazy money at riders.....won them naff all over the last few seasons, still sat scratching their heads with an empty trophy cabinet,  :D lets hope they sod off to the Premiership and do everyone a favour !! got to love that word Karma :drink:

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, tomkat12 said:

I checked the mercury...there was actually an article about speedway, tonights cubs meetings, but nothing about the title win, just as there was no coverage of the shield win. Disgraceful !!!

I've got to say that whoever is in charge of Leicester's media really does need replacing... I expected to return from Glasgow to catch up on all of the reaction, not particularly in the media, but quite certainly on the website, pictures, interviews with riders and management, video of Ellis Perks clinching the final in that fantastic heat 14 and the celebrations afterwards.

Only there's nothing, just a bog standard match report "GLASGOW 50 LIONS 40 (AGG: 89-91)", that's the only clue on the website that Lions have done anything at all on a Tuesday night in October, and they lost. It's a bit of an insult to the fans that have been supporting the club all year long and had the 2nd leg taken away from them. 

Is it any wonder that it's not in the local paper when the club can't even be bothered to do media for their fans on their own website... just another match on a Tuesday night in October.

The fans won't get to see this team again, the team that won the league title for the first time in 50 years! See you in March... and oh yes if you don't come in enough numbers we'll close down.

DISGRACEFUL!!

Capture.JPG

Edited by iainb
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've got to say that whoever is in charge of Leicester's media really does need replacing... I expected to return from Glasgow to catch up on all of the reaction, not particularly in the media, but quite certainly on the website, pictures, interviews with riders and management, video of Ellis Perks clinching the final in that fantastic heat 14 and the celebrations afterwards.

Only there's nothing, just a bog standard match report "GLASGOW 50 LIONS 40 (AGG: 89-91)", that's the only clue on the website that Lions have done anything at all on a Tuesday night in October, and they lost. It's a bit of an insult to the fans that have been supporting the club all year long and had the 2nd leg taken away from them. 

Is it any wonder that it's not in the local paper when the club can't even be bothered to do media for their fans on their own website... just another match on a Tuesday night in October.

The fans won't get to see this team again, the team that won the league title for the first time in 50 years! See you in March... and oh yes if you don't come in enough numbers we'll close down.

DISGRACEFUL!!

Capture.JPG

May be unfair to point blame at the Club but more the Media Partner of the Club

Have had cause to bemoan similar at Birmingham this season, same provider!!!.

I think that provider was once excellent but now comes over as complacent and lazy.

Those Clubs with their own provision like Glasgow / Edinburgh / Berwick / Eastbourne seem to be way ahead in innovation and content.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HGould said:

May be unfair to point blame at the Club but more the Media Partner of the Club

Have had cause to bemoan similar at Birmingham this season, same provider!!!.

I think that provider was once excellent but now comes over as complacent and lazy.

Those Clubs with their own provision like Glasgow / Edinburgh / Berwick / Eastbourne seem to be way ahead in innovation and content.

Come on the club are responsible for who they partner with. In fact I'm not particularly interested in who to blame... it just needs putting right

18 hours ago, nagy1 said:

Oooft. You think McGregor helps Glasgow or has a Glasgow bias? Behave. We beat Leicester by 7 points that night. How would that point of been the difference?

Glasgow's bad luck gifted the league to the Lions. If Paul Starke had been riding it would not even of been a fair contest.

Just remind me again how many Glasgow matches did Jim appoint HIMSELF to over the season ???

I am informed it was nearing to half Glasgow’s league fixtures over the season home or away #friendsinhighplaces

All the Glasgow fans that came to Leicester on Saturday & the ones that i met on Tuesday were very gracious in admitting the best team won but you my friend look like a lemon bitter.

Next you will be telling me Cami  Brown deserves the freedom of Glasgow for managing the team that nearly won the league again  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Congratulations to Leicester. They kept their nerves on the night, and it didn't really look like the Tigers did in the first half. I brought along a friend who'd never been to speedway before, and as we were walking up I said I'd be comfortable with a ten-point deficit, but I thought twelve was probably just too much.

After the meeting, you left thinking for all the points left on the shale, it would have been possible to overturn potentially sixteen or eighteen points, which given the results between the sides earlier in the season, I wouldn't have expected.

The top heavy nature of the Glasgow team did come a bit unstuck at times, but Sam Jensen crashing in his first three rides, and Rasmus Jensen crashing in his first ride, were much more the difference really. Mechanical issues can't always be avoided, but you have to keep your head and stay upright, and the Lions made sure they did. The track was slicker and slower than normal, but the riders were practising on Monday so you'd expect them to be adjusted for it.

Ellis Perks was fantastic all night, and did it was only fitting the way he won the tie for the Lions in heat 14. And when you've won the title, as far as I'm concerned, you can do as many victory laps as you've got fuel in the tank for – I know I'd want to!

As someone who's originally from Hoddesdon and has seen the Rockets fold twice, I'm just glad to have a speedway team to watch, and the racing at Ashfield is always fabulous.

1 hour ago, Lenny Lion said:

Just remind me again how many Glasgow matches did Jim appoint HIMSELF to over the season ???

I am informed it was nearing to half Glasgow’s league fixtures over the season home or away #friendsinhighplaces

All the Glasgow fans that came to Leicester on Saturday & the ones that i met on Tuesday were very gracious in admitting the best team won but you my friend look like a lemon bitter.

Next you will be telling me Cami  Brown deserves the freedom of Glasgow for managing the team that nearly won the league again  

Lenny

Nagy1 may well be looking at much of this weeks events through some red and white tinted glasses, but believe me when I say Mr McGregor has never has a red and white tint to his decision making and I would imagine his appointments are based as much on geography as anything else. His usual tints of decision making were very much blue and gold in the past ;)

imho of course

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

Do you know what Mr McGregor's nickname is?

I am certainly not bitter. I have thoroughly enjoyed this season. My opinion is that if Glasgow had our full team we would of topped the league and won the playoffs. I do however appreciate that if,buts and maybes are part of sport, but If any Leicester fan seriously thinks they would of beaten Glasgow over two legs if Paul was fit they are delusional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

You certainly sound bitter.

The meeting that cost Glasgow top spot was a 37-53 home defeat to Scunthorpe.  Paul Starke couldn't have saved Tigers from defeat that night, even if he had scored double figures.

Both Leicester and Glasgow suffered injuries - Glasgow to Starke and Leicester to Worrall.  In the end, Glasgow put in a great effort, but Leicester were deserving winners, as there were not only the best team across the season, but also won the play-off final.

I half agree with you on the Scunny meeting. The more pivotal was getting beat at Leicester. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. (SJ fell at the last turn) 

I am ruing the injury to Starke. The difference is you can cherry pick guests for a rider 3rd in your averages. We had to replace Paul or go R/R. Most people prefer to see 7 man teams. Them are the rules and the breaks. Leicester were more fortunate than us. That again is not bitter it is fact

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, wtf said:

Lenny

Nagy1 may well be looking at much of this weeks events through some red and white tinted glasses, but believe me when I say Mr McGregor has never has a red and white tint to his decision making and I would imagine his appointments are based as much on geography as anything else. His usual tints of decision making were very much blue and gold in the past ;)

imho of course

More looking at events through red eyes through all the bleating & crying.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nagy1 said:

I half agree with you on the Scunny meeting. The more pivotal was getting beat at Leicester. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. (SJ fell at the last turn) 

I am ruing the injury to Starke. The difference is you can cherry pick guests for a rider 3rd in your averages. We had to replace Paul or go R/R. Most people prefer to see 7 man teams. Them are the rules and the breaks. Leicester were more fortunate than us. That again is not bitter it is fact

IF'S, BUT's & MAYBE'S. It is a dangerous, high octane sport that has it's spills & thrills.

Staying on the bike, engine failures are part of the sport. How many other teams can go back & count points dropped?

Leicester used the guest option to have a 7 man team. Glasgow replaced Starke to have a 7 man team. ;)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nagy1 said:

Was replacing Paul not the right option though,whether you should have brought Paul back(if he was recovered from injury)was the only decision to be made.

ps 

I don’t if he was fit or not.

I didn’t really matter who topped the league. IMO Leicester done you a favour picking Redcar.

Hard luck on Glasgow but they had good season and provided some great entertainment.

8 hours ago, iainb said:

DISGRACEFUL!!

I agree that is very poor but the 2 Lions groups on Facebook have been brilliant with their praise.

Not much use if you aren't on Facebook though I suppose. :)

• Like 1