British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
justathought

Good Year / Bad Year

The 2019 speedway season is all but over.

Has your team performed to your expectations, did you enjoy the season, and does the sport still hold the attraction for you it once did?

Personally, being a Leicester Lions Supporter, I guess we could say that it has perhaps been the best season the club has had in terms of success. But, I'm not so sure I enjoy the sport as I used to it seems that lots of crazy rules and long delays between heats and general messing about has taken the edge of things a little. Bikes are undoubtedly faster these days and races quicker. The atmosphere seems to not be like it used to be and we don't really get the shock results we used to. Only my opinion. Anyway, hope you enjoyed your speedway ..........  

Losing my team at start of year was terrible , but i still go and watch but oh those delays after a all 4 back anything up to a dozen "mechanics" rush on the track fuel up adjust the wheel WHY and the same riders getting of the bikes at the start line and digging it just wears me down. Slow the bikes down use throttle control and lets get back to RACING.

• Like 8

Been a very good year at Glasgow . Watching the likes of Craig Cook and Rasmus Jensen is a joy to behold and the track has produced some of the best racing we've seen at Ashfield in years . Capping the season off with the title would be the icing on the cake .

• Like 3

Sunday afternoons at Sheffield completely drained my enthusiasm. So much so, I chose not to attend a meeting and sit at home instead just because I wasn't interested. An atmosphere never entered the stadium.

The last meeting of the season under lights was a joy to behold and made me wish the season was just starting.

Performance-wise, we were tipped to make the playoffs. We failed to make the playoffs. We also chucked points away on more than 1 occasion, especially on the road.

Have to say, considering all aspects, a hugely disappointing season - mainly due to being bored stiff for 99% of the season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, justathought said:

Has your team performed to your expectations, did you enjoy the season, and does the sport still hold the attraction for you it once did?

Yes. No. No. Josh Bates ended my enthusiasm and I've only been to one match since.

• Like 1

just / yes / yes

Brummies moving up with a makeshift initial team and it was a struggle. From mid season with Adam / Jason and Tero we had some great racing, great atmosphere and a sign of what could be, Shanes was great to watch all season.

I enjoyed my season immensely and visited many tracks, saw some big (by modern standards) crowds at Glasgow; Leicester and Eastbourne and saw some great racing at Redcar and Somerset.

I just sense the old guard are being replaced by some innovators and thinkers, in the NL Bishop, in the CL the Facenas at Glasgow  / Duffill  at Redcar/ Cook at Eastbourne  / Leicester reinvigorated by Dickson and arrival of Scott Nicholls, in the PL Kilby + Rossiter and the new Swindon track / Smith at BV / Ipswich improvements off track and racing on it.

Totally agree!! Times have to change , in some respects speedway is a bit of a closed shop , there are some cliques in place and don't know how to embrace new blood , in order for speedway to survive and potentially thrive this old guard need to take notice of what the new generation are attempting to make the sport more inviting to all.

8 hours ago, Gemini said:

Yes. No. No. Josh Bates ended my enthusiasm and I've only been to one match since.

What did Josh Bates do?  I thought he'd spent most of the season injured.

I enjoyed my 4 visits to Perry Barr, first time I have been for what must be getting close to ten years.  Was very disappointed with Glasgow on my only visit to Owlerton.

Bears only just lost in the playoffs, but still in with a chance of some silverware in days to come, but I consider it to be our best season since we returned to speedway in 2006, we have the British champion, and the Championship champion in our side, which leads to exciting racing at the fairest track :cheers:..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col said:

What did Josh Bates do?  I thought he'd spent most of the season injured.

Yes he has because he's usually an out of control idiot. :mad: This is my 71st season and I am no longer up to waiting around for ages to watch racing.  Leicester v Redcar on June 29th was the only match I have ever left after  seeing only 2 heats  and it was due to Bates causing Broc Nicol to have a broken collar bone and concussion because of an utterly reckless move on the 4th bend of the first lap. Due to medical cover there was a long wait for racing to resume but I left after an hour. The match eventually continued but only as far as heat 12 before it was abandoned.  I gave the next few meetings a miss because I was so cheesed off but then went to the Glasgow one on August 17th.  This was a double header with the Cubs riding against Cradley afterwards but again it was abandoned because of medical cover following a crash in heat 3.  I haven't been back since but I'm glad the Lions are doing so well and hope they are champions. I never thought it would happen but my enthusiasm has been going downhill since Coventry finished as they were my team for 30 years. :(

• Like 1

Eagles - As a return to "professional" speedway this season has been a success for Eastbourne. The crowds have been fairly stable in terms of numbers and the meetings have been sped up as the promotion has looked to complete a meeting in under 2 hrs. Despite the NL success for the Eagles the racing was never the most exciting apart from an odd heat 13-15 race , however the standard of racing and excitement has increased significantly in the CL. Arlington as a track is not the most exciting on the planet BUT it is the only speedway within 75 mins from my Surrey home - so long may it continue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HGould said:

/ Cook at Eastbourne  / 

Cook !!!  Surely you mean Ian Jordan.....

Nomadic fan- best  show put on by eastbourne and the iow, have mr coombes and mr dyer to thank for that. Went to 2 somerset homes matches and the track wasnt a patch of previous yrs. Kent has good viewing , the track there is 50/50 for me tho. 
Just wait too see what the looneys in charge dream up for this yr

35 minutes ago, woofers said:

Cook !!!  Surely you mean Ian Jordan.....

Always think of Jon Cook as the main man at Arlington? Isn't he the Head of Speedway there?

Sorry if not up to speed.

Agree with the post about presenter there (Kevin Coombes) is excellent.