British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
justathought

Good Year / Bad Year

20 hours ago, justathought said:

The 2019 speedway season is all but over.

Has your team performed to your expectations, did you enjoy the season, and does the sport still hold the attraction for you it once did?

Personally, being a Leicester Lions Supporter, I guess we could say that it has perhaps been the best season the club has had in terms of success. But, I'm not so sure I enjoy the sport as I used to it seems that lots of crazy rules and long delays between heats and general messing about has taken the edge of things a little. Bikes are undoubtedly faster these days and races quicker. The atmosphere seems to not be like it used to be and we don't really get the shock results we used to. Only my opinion. Anyway, hope you enjoyed your speedway ..........  

Three "no's" from me. Sheffield looked good on paper but performed like numpties away from home. The season was ruined by Sunday afternoon racing - an experiment that I trust won't be repeated (who would ever have thought that the time of the meeting would affect the track?... but it DID!) Speedway will never recover the attraction it had in the 60's and 70's glory years and sometimes I wonder why I still bother. Another season like the last one might be the last straw for me.

The big gamble didn't pay off. Drew at reserve until new average kicked in and once he was in top five struggled.Ty and Kyle didn't get any consistency ,Zaine struggled big time away,Broc improved late in the season . Too many passengers. Then lack of fixtures meant no continuity,Sunday racing and a poor track all of which played its part in a non event season.We need racing every week weather permitting ,start with league matches then have the cups at the end of the season.So all in all a totally wasted season .Lets hope the promoters can stop tinkering for the sake of it and give us a reasonable points limit to work with instead of the diluted product they sold us this year.

8 hours ago, Col said:

What did Josh Bates do?  I thought he'd spent most of the season injured.

I enjoyed my 4 visits to Perry Barr, first time I have been for what must be getting close to ten years.  Was very disappointed with Glasgow on my only visit to Owlerton.

What disappointed you about Glasgow ?

Sorry I misunderstood you , you meant our performance at Sheffield . Yes that was probably our worst of the season , particularly after we drew there in the cup 

Edited by Paulco

On 10/13/2019 at 5:57 PM, justathought said:

The 2019 speedway season is all but over.

Has your team performed to your expectations, did you enjoy the season, and does the sport still hold the attraction for you it once did?

Personally, being a Leicester Lions Supporter, I guess we could say that it has perhaps been the best season the club has had in terms of success. But, I'm not so sure I enjoy the sport as I used to it seems that lots of crazy rules and long delays between heats and general messing about has taken the edge of things a little. Bikes are undoubtedly faster these days and races quicker. The atmosphere seems to not be like it used to be and we don't really get the shock results we used to. Only my opinion. Anyway, hope you enjoyed your speedway ..........  

Team definitely did not perform to expectations, the away form was abysmal and cost us dearly.

I have not enjoyed this season, not just from a team point but also the sport has lost its spark for me.

From  a team perspective the racing was not up to scratch this season, as many have said Sunday afternoons have been a disaster, and its no surprise that the best meeting of the season for the racing was the lone Wednesday evening fixture 

Does the sport still hold the attraction it once did, have to say no, the fragmented fixture list and poor racing has made me question whether or not I want to keep going week in week out.

Hopefully next season we will go back to week day speedway at Sheffield providing we have someone to actually run the club, and at the next AGM Promoters do something about the lack of fixtures. 

9 hours ago, Hackett said:

the meetings have been sped up as the promotion has looked to complete a meeting in under 2 hrs.

That's sped up? Scunny get theirs done in around 50 minutes

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Paulco said:

Sorry I misunderstood you , you meant our performance at Sheffield . Yes that was probably our worst of the season , particularly after we drew there in the cup 

Yes, the league match towards the end of August.  Had been hoping I'd be able to get a fair few visits to Owlerton this year with the Tigers switching to Sunday but alas only made it there once.  Had seen Glasgow win at a canter against (a fairly weak) Birmingham team previously so was expecting fireworks, alas it was more of a whimper.  If after the first leg the Playoff final is finely balanced hope to make it to Leicester on Saturday.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spin king said:

Team definitely did not perform to expectations, the away form was abysmal and cost us dearly.

I have not enjoyed this season, not just from a team point but also the sport has lost its spark for me.

From  a team perspective the racing was not up to scratch this season, as many have said Sunday afternoons have been a disaster, and its no surprise that the best meeting of the season for the racing was the lone Wednesday evening fixture 

Does the sport still hold the attraction it once did, have to say no, the fragmented fixture list and poor racing has made me question whether or not I want to keep going week in week out.

Hopefully next season we will go back to week day speedway at Sheffield providing we have someone to actually run the club, and at the next AGM Promoters do something about the lack of fixtures. 

Promoters have GOT to do something about the lack of fixtures. Either a singe combined Premiership/Championship league or a two-home / two-away format to give us some weekly action has to be top of the AGM agenda. Whatever the sport's woes, rationing is not the answer. Mid-October is traditionally the time when the speedway season winds down, but it already seems like an age since we had our last meeting at Owlerton.

• Like 3

I echo your reasonings one hundred percent.i didn't go to mu first home meeting this year until the season was nigh on over.sundays were a total no no for me.what I did see at home didn't exactly set me alight either.track wise,i think the loss of g.trollope as track curator was a massive blowthe ins and outs of this I do know a little about but won,t go into detail.we all know that the sport will never return to the heady days but for goodness sake,where has the excitement factor gone?i enjoyed the meeting at Eastbourne which was thrown away but this year I didn,t particularly enjoy Cardiff either.the pairs meeting the night before was far far better.sheffield NEED THURSDAY,S BACK.A.S.A.P otherwise the people lost this season may never return.

From a Scunny fan,  the team was hit and miss, probably performed as most predicted pre-season. The on track entertainment was excellent... however I echo everyone else's comments, the season was far too short, too many blank weekends, supporters just tend to lose a bit of interest.

I'd like to see every track host a meaningful 4TT. Plus a round of a Championship GP style meeting....and a few more league meetings wouldn't go amiss.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, squall said:

That's sped up? Scunny get theirs done in around 50 minutes

If meetings were regularly 50 minutes you would have no crowd. 2 hours is a sensible and compatible duration to relate to say football as being a nights entertainment. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

If meetings were regularly 50 minutes you would have no crowd. 2 hours is a sensible and compatible duration to relate to say football as being a nights entertainment. 

Exactly , who wants a meeting over and done with in under an hour ? Certainly not me 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I think 90-100 minutes when no major incidents/accidents is par for the Course with a proper presentation and some interviews and insights between races. 

50 minutes would leave me feeling robbed to be honest (unless mitigating circumstances like heavy rain on the way) and anything over 2 hours is just too long (for me).

Second halves / MDL is down to personal choice to wait for and watch some do / some don't - I do. Kids races before main Event which a few do is a complete no-no for me, as spoils the build up.

• Like 1

I think 50 minutes to complete a meeting is virtually impossible...it certainly wouldn't be achievable on a regular basis. Referees control the pace of a meeting. If the weather threatens and there's good will from all parties, no falls or restarts, then 50 minutes may just about be possible.

Scunny have completed meetings in 75 minutes on a few occasions, however about hour and half-two hours is the norm, about right in my opinion.

Albert has put this spot on about our times to run a meeting, helped by the referee, riders & clerk of the course when rain threatens & if memory serves me right, our quickest was around 70-75 minutes. This is helped by having a prepared surface which does not build up a "berm" or ridge of shale which then requires the tractor(s) to come out. Having no interval helps but with some clubs leasing their stadiums for race nights, the stadium owners need to maximise their profits by having an interval.