Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
justathought

Good Year / Bad Year

I'm going to buck the trend and I say I enjoyed the 2019 season. Berwick were predicted to finish bottom or second bottom and for the second year running punched above their weight and narrowly missed out on the playoffs. 

The promotion at Berwick worked hard with different offers throughout the season. If you bought a season ticket early, it worked out at £13 a meeting. Several meetings were discounted during the season. The riders did their bit at the end of the meetings by going into the crowd and they were swarmed by kids wanting photos and speaking to riders.

Racing at Berwick comes in for criticism and the track is not ideally shaped. The speed of the modern bikes doesn't help IMO. But there were some good meetings there last year, the final meeting of the season, the double header with Edinburgh and especially Glasgow, was the best atmosphere I have seen at Berwick for a long, long time. 

Anyway, I still enjoy my Saturday nights. There is a group of friends who meet every week, we laugh and watch the speedway. Roll on March 2020.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, topsoil said:

I'm going to buck the trend and I say I enjoyed the 2019 season. Berwick were predicted to finish bottom or second bottom and for the second year running punched above their weight and narrowly missed out on the playoffs. 

The promotion at Berwick worked hard with different offers throughout the season. If you bought a season ticket early, it worked out at £13 a meeting. Several meetings were discounted during the season. The riders did their bit at the end of the meetings by going into the crowd and they were swarmed by kids wanting photos and speaking to riders.

Racing at Berwick comes in for criticism and the track is not ideally shaped. The speed of the modern bikes doesn't help IMO. But there were some good meetings there last year, the final meeting of the season, the double header with Edinburgh and especially Glasgow, was the best atmosphere I have seen at Berwick for a long, long time. 

Anyway, I still enjoy my Saturday nights. There is a group of friends who meet every week, we laugh and watch the speedway. Roll on March 2020.

Good post , and the double header was a brilliant evening . And on you're last point , I'm completely with you there , there is a lot more to a night at the speedway than just the racing .

• Like 3

I'd have to say no, no and no, sadly.

I was in the minority (or so it seems) of Sheffield fans actually looking forward to Sundays, with no rush after work etc. Plus the team looked exciting on paper, and the fact we signed Drew Kemp as I'm a fan of his. But the whole team except Danny and Zaine under achieved for whatever reason - although Drew's was hardly down to him as the poor kid got pushed into second string after the first month where he was quite clearly not ready for it. Plus Broc was out for most of it, so his good form was all too brief (again, one of those injuries not being down to him)

My fellow Tigers fans on this topic make good points about track conditions in the daytime etc, but I still think there's a tiny element with some other folk who have no other argument but "Should be Thursday neet, allus azbin" (that's "Thursday night, always has been" to the uninitiated :D   )  But whatver, it seems to have been an unmitigated disaster. 

• Like 1

The core the diehards the speedway lovers will always be there regardless of Sunday showings or Thursday with a few smatterings of extra people on a Thursday don’t think it matters..if the track is any better on a Thursday do you think it’s going to entice a few hundred more people cos of the more moisture or more time on the track to prepare..hmmm I don’t think so...the sport is f...ked 

It's been a tremendous season for the Redcar Bears. The first of many to come I hope. No longer the wooden spoon candidates each year, but a team worthy of their high league ranking.

KO Cup...winners.

British Champion...Charles Wright.

And, we ran Leicester very close in the play-offs, could easily have won that one.  Then, who knows in the final against Glasgow, we dumped them out of the KO Cup. Hypothetical yes, but it's how close we came.

Well done everyone connected to the Redcar Bears. A great season . UTB !!!

55 minutes ago, parkendlass said:

It's been a tremendous season for the Redcar Bears. The first of many to come I hope. No longer the wooden spoon candidates each year, but a team worthy of their high league ranking.

KO Cup...winners.

British Champion...Charles Wright.

And, we ran Leicester very close in the play-offs, could easily have won that one.  Then, who knows in the final against Glasgow, we dumped them out of the KO Cup. Hypothetical yes, but it's how close we came.

Well done everyone connected to the Redcar Bears. A great season . UTB !!!

Not forgetting Erik Riss 

1 hour ago, Normski said:

Not forgetting Erik Riss 

Indeed not. He had a brilliant season, really hope he's a Bear in 2020. UTB !!!