British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership Playoff Final 2nd Leg - Swindon v Ipswich - 17/10

I have really enjoyed this season the racing at the abbey has been a massive improvement and i believe the track has the potential to get better and better. Bend two now really is a bend you can attack hairy at times and Doyley and Adam were really pushing themselves to the limit.You sometimes forget just  how skillful these riders are and i predict a big year for Doyley in the series next year he is getting back to his best.Congratulations to Alun /Lee they are the future of the club and i am especially pleased for Alun his record is a record anyone would be proud of and after his shabby treatment in the England affair he put two fingers up to certain people last night.Ipswich still team of the season for me a great return to the top flight.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Well done Swindon  worthy winners solid team from top to bottom Ipo just never at the party but I don't think any team would have beaten the Robin's on their recent form would just say good job there is no longer " rider control " in place .

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I have really enjoyed this season the racing at the abbey has been a massive improvement and i believe the track has the potential to get better and better. Bend two now really is a bend you can attack hairy at times and Doyley and Adam were really pushing themselves to the limit.You sometimes forget just  how skillful these riders are and i predict a big year for Doyley in the series next year he is getting back to his best.Congratulations to Alun /Lee they are the future of the club and i am especially pleased for Alun his record is a record anyone would be proud of and after his shabby treatment in the England affair he put two fingers up to certain people last night.Ipswich still team of the season for me a great return to the top flight.

So releived the weather didn't ruin things Sid. The rainfall radar looked very ominous an hour before the start. For me, a monday night restage would have clashed with Kent v Leicester!

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

So releived the weather didn't ruin things Sid. The rainfall radar looked very ominous an hour before the start. For me, a monday night restage would have clashed with Kent v Leicester!

How was Leicester v Kent ?? City  how was the Thompson twins , Mulford ( fell leading ht2 ??) and Hume.

7 hours ago, Col said:

King & Lawson at Swindon tonight. Pathetic, just less pathetic.

Heeps & Sarjeant rode so much like NL novices

Perfect example of the rider "disease" in the UK. When you miss the start give up after half a lap and just follow the leaders as they disappear in the distance. Another chanfe to make the gate will come along soon. Lawson & Heeps doing it to perfection - wait and hope that you fare better at the tapes next time around. King did at least have a go once or twice but his fighting spirit faded too easily. Sarjeant - a long way to go to become a speedway racer ( in the Premier League at least ) just not up to it.

• Like 2

Not sure why there's so much surpruse that Lawson and Heeps were pants last night.

Both have appalling records at Swindon.

17 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

How was Leicester v Kent ?? City  how was the Thompson twins , Mulford ( fell leading ht2 ??) and Hume.

The track was very tricky Sid, quite damp and patchy in places. Mulford was well in front, but going too fast considering the conditions. He looks a great prospect though. Joe Thompson was very impressive, with some brave outside overtakes. Totally ignoring the wet stuff out by the fence.

9 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Was waiting for some sort of confirmation however they mentioned the GP next year at Cardiff so who knows.

Kelvin and Nigel have been saying they have really enjoyed themselves with all the travelling the past few weeks. 

Maybe a hint but nothing seems clear.

That we don’t know.

Not sure what Cardiff has got to do with it- BT Sport have a contract to show the GP`s/SON in 2020 and 2021.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Fantastic atmosphere..hundreds chanting and singing, waving flags, was like a footie game!..Well done Double Winners!!! Must be the most one sided final ever, Ipswich totally mashed.

Loved every minute last night, great crowd, great atmosphere!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

Loved every minute last night, great crowd, great atmosphere!

Watching on BBC Points West, just over 2000 there. Looked more than that!

7 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Watching on BBC Points West, just over 2000 there. Looked more than that!

Went in the bar after, spoke to Natalie Quirk, she's a lovely lady!

Perhaps you should stay abroad or at least not bother to post here..........your comments on this thread have at best been laughable but you have trolled your way through it

There are decent Poole fans who will be missed on here if you drop down but fingers crossed you dont bother posting....................everyone has mocked you all the way through

On to the meeting and the expected outcome

Certain people mainly those bitter bitter Poole fans who now seem to think that speedway will collapse without them, having a dig at Ipswich.............well Ipswich have proved clear second best this season (although Wolves can lay a claim to that)............totally outclassed last night with Swindons top 5 being to strong for any side........we were expected to be the seasons cannon fodder and we proved everyone wrong so well done boys...........

We have riders like King Lawson and Heeps who are awful at Swindon and so it proved..........

We tried 100% but we just not in Swindons class

Would rather have a team that tries that one that gives up like Poole did

11 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well it’s been fun tonight. For me anyway. Well done to Swindon. It was their year and to be honest if they hadn’t won the title it would have been a surprise. Congratulations. 

I’m off to bed. Flight to Venice in the morning and then onto the Italian Alps for some flying for a few days, weather permitting.

Enjoy your championship. Shame we can’t challenge it back next season but it looks like we’ll be visiting different clubs in 2020.

A fantastic night last night. Was this the first time Swindon have won the league title at Blunsdon? It certainly is in my lifetime.

A great crowd too. I was held up a bit on the way. I think there was some sort of hold up on the M4 resulting in my normal route via Lambourn Woodlands getting clogged up with traffic. Then got held up in a further traffic jam on the A419 - only to discover it was caused by the speedway! First time in years that's happened.

This Swindon team was always, on paper, head and shoulders above the others this year. They certainly were under-performing at one point, though, and it's hard to believe we never topped the league, even with the changes having been made mid-season. Peaked at exactly the right time though.

Such a shame the team will be broken up, and the likes of Poole look unlikely to be in the same league as us next year. Speedway is thriving in Swindon at the moment, however. It shows what a bit of positive promotion can do to crowd levels and team spirit. Hats off to Rosco and Lee. Long may these two stay at the helm, and let's hope the club can continue despite the stadium issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

A fantastic night last night. Was this the first time Swindon have won the league title at Blunsdon? It certainly is in my lifetime.

A great crowd too. I was held up a bit on the way. I think there was some sort of hold up on the M4 resulting in my normal route via Lambourn Woodlands getting clogged up with traffic. Then got held up in a further traffic jam on the A419 - only to discover it was caused by the speedway! First time in years that's happened.

This Swindon team was always, on paper, head and shoulders above the others this year. They certainly were under-performing at one point, though, and it's hard to believe we never topped the league, even with the changes having been made mid-season. Peaked at exactly the right time though.

Such a shame the team will be broken up, and the likes of Poole look unlikely to be in the same league as us next year. Speedway is thriving in Swindon at the moment, however. It shows what a bit of positive promotion can do to crowd levels and team spirit. Hats off to Rosco and Lee. Long may these two stay at the helm, and let's hope the club can continue despite the stadium issues.

They did in 1957, but I wasn't there! My bruv got stuck on A419, turned round and went home.

11 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

We have got 2 draws at Swindon this year, and one defeat. We ride pretty well around there. Would have got within 12 imo. But all speculation.

Last time you rode at Swindon you lost by 16 points..........the draw you mentioned was when Doyle and Musi were both injured and they had Zach at reserve...........hardly a true reflection of the Swindon team now.

You might have done better at Swindon but you would have lost at home and they would have comfortably seen you off on their own track

Love how you try and stay relevant through the thread.......your team got beat and beat easily............and if you had made the final Swindon would have thumped you as well

You say Ipswich bottled it..............we didnt ............we were huge underdogs in the semi and the final..........yet we turned you over ...........glorious