British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership Playoff Final 2nd Leg - Swindon v Ipswich - 17/10

5 minutes ago, Grachan said:

A fantastic night last night. Was this the first time Swindon have won the league title at Blunsdon? It certainly is in my lifetime.

A great crowd too. I was held up a bit on the way. I think there was some sort of hold up on the M4 resulting in my normal route via Lambourn Woodlands getting clogged up with traffic. Then got held up in a further traffic jam on the A419 - only to discover it was caused by the speedway! First time in years that's happened.

This Swindon team was always, on paper, head and shoulders above the others this year. They certainly were under-performing at one point, though, and it's hard to believe we never topped the league, even with the changes having been made mid-season. Peaked at exactly the right time though.

Such a shame the team will be broken up, and the likes of Poole look unlikely to be in the same league as us next year. Speedway is thriving in Swindon at the moment, however. It shows what a bit of positive promotion can do to crowd levels and team spirit. Hats off to Rosco and Lee. Long may these two stay at the helm, and let's hope the club can continue despite the stadium issues.

Well done to your boys.............powerful side and fully deserving champs............thought the ref in both meetings got every decision right apart from one................Jensens flyer last night.......yes Niels moved but that triggered Jensen and he was rolling......but hey like that made any difference lol

And it absolutely shows what positive promotion can do both at Swindon and at Ipswich......crowd levels on the up at both clubs............thats what success and good promotion does

23 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

They did in 1957, but I wasn't there! My bruv got stuck on A419, turned round and went home.

I did wonder about 1957 - hence the "my lifetime" comment. I weren't born then. But 1967 we won it at King's Lynn, 2012 at Poole and 2017 at Wolverhampton. Good to win it at home and actually be there!

30 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Some memories from last night ...

a bit worried after the first two heats, thinking it was going to be a bit of a fight. 

The absolute pandemonium when we won it 

the amazing crowd and the fact that so many hung around for the presentation 

finding out afterwards that when Adam punched the air as he crossed the finishing line he popped his shoulder out and he was crapping himself as he couldn’t drop his arm and grab the bars till halfway round the first bend. 

The post match “celebration” at Rosco’s pub

chatting with the legend Eddie Kid at the pub. 

Meeting up with fellow board members 

a very drunk Adam on the drive home watching videos on his phone and saying “ f**k me, I didn’t realise I was riding THAT close to the fence”

going to bed at 3am with a huge grin on my face. 

Can we do it all again next year please ???

Lovely to meet you last night! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself & have a safe trip home! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Some memories from last night ...

a bit worried after the first two heats, thinking it was going to be a bit of a fight. 

The absolute pandemonium when we won it 

the amazing crowd and the fact that so many hung around for the presentation 

finding out afterwards that when Adam punched the air as he crossed the finishing line he popped his shoulder out and he was crapping himself as he couldn’t drop his arm and grab the bars till halfway round the first bend. 

The post match “celebration” at Rosco’s pub

chatting with the legend Eddie Kid at the pub. 

Meeting up with fellow board members 

a very drunk Adam on the drive home watching videos on his phone and saying “ f**k me, I didn’t realise I was riding THAT close to the fence”

going to bed at 3am with a huge grin on my face. 

Can we do it all again next year please ???

Your boy has turned into Gollob in the last few weeks Jonny!! Been class 2nd half of the season.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

Your boy has turned into Gollob in the last few weeks Jonny!! Been class 2nd half of the season.

Could do a really good job for a Nice Polska league team and a Swedish Elitserien club- i think he needs that to further his career.

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

They did in 1957, but I wasn't there! My bruv got stuck on A419, turned round and went home.

I think 6 of the Ipswich team felt the same last night!!!:rolleyes:  At least Poole only had 2 riders choke in the 2nd leg of the semi! Ha ha. I've got the stopwatch on for Gav's reply.

Well done again Swindon. Great atmosphere on the TV . Plaudits to the DJ as the music seemed spot on for the occasion.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Haha 2

Congratulation to Swindon,best team and deserved winners over the season

pleased for Rosco too,he cops some unfair flack but is a proper speedway man and is developing a handy knack of building teams

good to see a fine crowd also

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Could do a really good job for a Nice Polska league team and a Swedish Elitserien club- i think he needs that to further his career.

Thats what all of the young Brits need instead of the CL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I did wonder about 1957 - hence the "my lifetime" comment. I weren't born then. But 1967 we won it at King's Lynn, 2012 at Poole and 2017 at Wolverhampton. Good to win it at home and actually be there!

If you can peeps get off your backsides and get trackside. I was 1 then, started following Swindon in 68, after beginning at New Cross in 63.

Congrats to Swindon, expected them to win comfortably over the 2 legs but not by quite as much. Ipswich were pretty poor but in truth this Swindon side is just incredibly strong and far better than the Witches.

I think every promoter and co promoter should have been at Swindon last night as a group and for someone to sit them down and say “look at this! This is what you have to aim for every week, every match should matter, every match should have the fans feel it’s a must see event”

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, marko said:

I think every promoter and co promoter should have been at Swindon last night as a group and for someone to sit them down and say “look at this! This is what you have to aim for every week, every match should matter, every match should have the fans feel it’s a must see event”

Premiership football is portrayed in the same way. Every match is bigged up like a major event.

If anyone sees this meeting  being repeated on bt please post on here.

1 minute ago, A ORLOV said:

If anyone sees this meeting  being repeated on bt please post on here.

I'll check their listings, but if not can put onto a DVD for you, pm me .

• Like 1