British Speedway Forum
ReadingRacer2017

Premiership Playoff Final 2nd Leg - Swindon v Ipswich - 17/10

33 minutes ago, Anzum said:

Have to agree with that. I remember a couple of weeks before the end of the league season. Tobi being interviewed,at the end of a meeting, thanking Claus for his advice after his first couple of rides that night hadn't gone well. 

Brilliant atmosphere last night,  like a football match with the chanting and singing. 

Yeah loved that part of it! The Doyley chants at the end were class!

38 minutes ago, Anzum said:

Have to agree with that. I remember a couple of weeks before the end of the league season. Tobi being interviewed,at the end of a meeting, thanking Claus for his advice after his first couple of rides that night hadn't gone well. 

Brilliant atmosphere last night,  like a football match with the chanting and singing. 

And those uncouth peeps with no tops on!

9 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

And those uncouth peeps with no tops on!

Might have been Poole fans. They lost their shirts this year.  :)

11 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Not sure what Cardiff has got to do with it- BT Sport have a contract to show the GP`s/SON in 2020 and 2021.

Hence why they were happy to mention the GP then. 

5 hours ago, AntiqueSteve said:

You are presumably basing this on the shocking final result...but in fairness we were beating everyone pretty much to begin with and even managed to beat poole in the Semi so I for one would have many of them back...runners up is still good for a First Year try !

Yes I get where you are coming from but its strange that you were far better before Iversen was signed then the team lost its way culminating in signing a GP rider who really didn't deliver,  would you really be happy with the likes of Sarjeant, Heeps, King, and Lawson again? I wouldn't want any of those in an Aces line up tbh.

Edited by bellevueace

A great night to be at Blunsdon last night. The place was rammed. Just reward for the promotion team for doing a great job this season. From the very start in getting the new track sorted out of their own pocket so quickly for the season (which has buoyed the mood at the abbey alone), to lifting the league trophy in front of thousands last night. Superb.

It wouldn’t have mattered who we were against, We’d have blown away anyone over two legs. It’s as if everyone in the team has been riding with an extra 2 points on their average since mid August, just fuelled by confidence alone. People can blather on about Ipswich riders not wanting it or showing no effort, but no amount of passion or effort matters when the team you’re up against is just faster in nearly every department. Well done to the Witches fans there for making the journey last night. Can’t have been much fun watching that, but to be honest that semi final performance at home was their great crowning moment, which they deserved to enjoy.

It would have been a bit more exciting and more memorable if it was a tighter score line and having that moment of sheer relief when you squeak a result near the end of the meeting, but we’ve had plenty of those earlier in the season at blunsdon anyway. Watching back on BT, it certainly wasn’t much of a spectacle for the TV viewer, especially as the cameras were barely pointing in the right place half the time, but there was some enjoyable action on track being there in person. Vissing being particularly entertaining. It was great to have all the lads scoring well over most if not all the play off matches. Massive shame to have to ditch a couple of them next year. I Wonder where all the comments about not winning anything with a team lacking a free scoring reserve have gone? :icon_smile_clown:

Not the right time to say who should be binned, but in terms of keeping riders, Tobiasz on a 6 average, if he can be persuaded to stay in the UK next year is no-brainer. Injury free he should be making a mockery of that average.

The crowd and success of last night should be used to put more pressure on sorting this bloody stadium out. Clearly loads of people around the town care enough about speedway still to turn up and pack the place out and even more will be royaly pissed off if further development of the site was to finally bring an end to having speedway at Blunsdon. We need to make the site an immovable object by keeping crowds healthy and general good will about the place, rather than the life just being sucked out of it gradually, as I’m sure Osbourne/SBC/other shady characters with vested interests, are rather hoping will happen.

Sounds like a well deserved piss up at Rosco’s last night. He was bloody insufferable 10 minutes after heat 15 last night, so god knows what what he’s like at 2 in the morning after a few bottles of babycham :drink:. Great stuff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Speedy swindon pete said:

A great night to be at Blunsdon last night. The place was rammed. Just reward for the promotion team for doing a great job this season. From the very start in getting the new track sorted out of their own pocket so quickly for the season (which has buoyed the mood at the abbey alone), to lifting the league trophy in front of thousands last night. Superb.

It wouldn’t have mattered who we were against, We’d have blown away anyone over two legs. It’s as if everyone in the team has been riding with an extra 2 points on their average since mid August, just fuelled by confidence alone. People can blather on about Ipswich riders not wanting it or showing no effort, but no amount of passion or effort matters when the team you’re up against is just faster in nearly every department. Well done to the Witches fans there for making the journey last night. Can’t have been much fun watching that, but to be honest that semi final performance at home was their great crowning moment, which they deserved to enjoy.

It would have been a bit more exciting and more memorable if it was a tighter score line and having that moment of sheer relief when you squeak a result near the end of the meeting, but we’ve had plenty of those earlier in the season at blunsdon anyway. Watching back on BT, it certainly wasn’t much of a spectacle for the TV viewer, especially as the cameras were barely pointing in the right place half the time, but there was some enjoyable action on track being there in person. Vissing being particularly entertaining. It was great to have all the lads scoring well over most if not all the play off matches. Massive shame to have to ditch a couple of them next year. I Wonder where all the comments about not winning anything with a team lacking a free scoring reserve have gone? :icon_smile_clown:

Not the right time to say who should be binned, but in terms of keeping riders, Tobiasz on a 6 average, if he can be persuaded to stay in the UK next year is no-brainer. Injury free he should be making a mockery of that average.

The crowd and success of last night should be used to put more pressure on sorting this bloody stadium out. Clearly loads of people around the town care enough about speedway still to turn up and pack the place out and even more will be royaly pissed off if further development of the site was to finally bring an end to having speedway at Blunsdon. We need to make the site an immovable object by keeping crowds healthy and general good will about the place, rather than the life just being sucked out of it gradually, as I’m sure Osbourne/SBC/other shady characters with vested interests, are rather hoping will happen.

Sounds like a well deserved piss up at Rosco’s last night. He was bloody insufferable 10 minutes after heat 15 last night, so god knows what what he’s like at 2 in the morning after a few bottles of babycham :drink:. Great stuff.

If ever a team should be allowed to keep the same septet its Swindon..

1) To give the rest of the League something to aspire to conquer, as all proper Sport's should..

And 2) More importantly, as you say, keep that feel good factor around the place to deliver the strong crowds that may influence stadium developments..

These riders will have made emotional connections with Swindon's fans this year, so that invaluable connection should be used to full effect next year to support the clubs overall future..

The bigger picture of course is that the Sport as a whole benefits by keeping Swindon at the forefront of the sport..

(All of which means they will be narrow mindedly tasked to shed three or four riders obviously)!... :rolleyes:

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

(All of which means they will be narrow mindedly tasked to shed three or four riders obviously)!

And that is exactly what will happen. And that narrow mindedness is eactly what has brought UK speedway to where it is ( or rather isn't). No-one within the BSPA has any idea of what the bigger picture really looks like ( nor any interest in clearing the mist from their windows to get a glimpse of it ). It is a version of Extinction Rebellion we need on the terraces from those who still do care about the continuation of domestic speedway.  The only thing that will re-build crowds to a sustainable level is likely to be - regardless of what it takes - making racing closer and much more exciting on track. That is likely to be riders on similar lower powered machinery ( either current bikes restricted by mechanical means of something like F2 bikes ). No-one wants to watch the racing less track action that UK league racing has become and where the only entertainment is betting on the length of the procession in each heat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

If ever a team should be allowed to keep the same septet its Swindon..

1) To give the rest of the League something to aspire to conquer, as all proper Sport's should..

And 2) More importantly, as you say, keep that feel good factor around the place to deliver the strong crowds that may influence stadium developments..

These riders will have made emotional connections with Swindon's fans this year, so that invaluable connection should be used to full effect next year to support the clubs overall future..

The bigger picture of course is that the Sport as a whole benefits by keeping Swindon at the forefront of the sport..

(All of which means they will be narrow mindedly tasked to shed three or four riders obviously)!... :rolleyes:

BEEN banging that drum for years...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17979273.terry-russell-will-wait-agm-outcome-deciding-call-time-reign-swindon-robins-chairman/

Sensible comments from TR re how the sport should go forward by keeping the same septet, which to be honest, is what several fans have said for a long time now. By keeping the same line up builds affinity with the supporters and gives other clubs something to aspire to. 

The club is run professionally and to a budget, which requires prudence and understanding of your support base and sponsors. As a supporter, knowing the club is in good hands and will not be financially compromised, particularly in the current climate, is good to know. It’s no coincidence that since El Tel has come on board Swindon have virtually, for every season, had a proper number 1. There have been exceptions, but generally there has always been a decent number 1 opening the batting.

I’m guessing the promoter he refers to wasn’t Matt from Dorset...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, theblueboy said:

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17979273.terry-russell-will-wait-agm-outcome-deciding-call-time-reign-swindon-robins-chairman/

Sensible comments from TR re how the sport should go forward by keeping the same septet, which to be honest, is what several fans have said for a long time now. By keeping the same line up builds affinity with the supporters and gives other clubs something to aspire to. 

The club is run professionally and to a budget, which requires prudence and understanding of your support base and sponsors. As a supporter, knowing the club is in good hands and will not be financially compromised, particularly in the current climate, is good to know. It’s no coincidence that since El Tel has come on board Swindon have virtually, for every season, had a proper number 1. There have been exceptions, but generally there has always been a decent number 1 opening the batting.

I’m guessing the promoter he refers to wasn’t Matt from Dorset...

The trouble is when promoters and fans call for this it's only when they are on top. When they are 5th and 6th they dont sing the same tune

I can see the merits of it but would say that any club can keep the same 7 that ended the season so long as it's the same 7 that started it

When a team has made 2 3 or 4 changes using what are easily manipulated regulations where you can end up over the points limit without even riding a meeting then it cant be right (this is a generic point and not aimed at Swindon 2019 specifically)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The trouble is when promoters and fans call for this it's only when they are on top. When they are 5th and 6th they dont sing the same tune

I can see the merits of it but would say that any club can keep the same 7 that ended the season so long as it's the same 7 that started it

When a team has made 2 3 or 4 changes using what are easily manipulated regulations where you can end up over the points limit without even riding a meeting then it cant be right (this is a generic point and not aimed at Swindon 2019 specifically)

I understand your point but I can only speak for myself. I have always wanted to see the best product available. Probably like yourself, I’ve followed my club when things haven’t gone so well and I was at both Coventry in 2007 and Wolves in 2009 when we lost in the finals. El Tel, and mine FWIW, has been consistent in his approach and I can assure you having read various comments in the local paper and Star that his standpoint over the years has not changed.

The continual weakening of the product does the sport no good. If clubs are not strong enough to compete, unfortunately, it is the survival of the fittest. Dragging clubs down to pander to the weaker clubs who do not have either the fan base or sponsorship means ultimately you will drag the other clubs in to the same position.

Sweden is clearly in trouble, so now is the time to change our mindset, and start to build the strength again. Tempt those riders that have given the UK a miss, back again. If each club had the opportunity to get a genuine number 1, get the tv to pay for it. It’s not like it would cost a lot of money, in general terms. There must be something to speedway, otherwise, why would Sky, BT and now Eurosport continue to show it? 

The crowd on Thursday at Swindon, was huge, I’ve not seen a crowd like that for years( the Coventry 2007 final at Brandon was massive, biggest crowd outside GP and unlikely to be matched and 2009 at home v Wolves was excellent) There were many that didn’t get to the stadium. To put it in to context. At 7.30 I was fully half a mile from the stadium. It had taken me 20 minutes to travel 2 miles. Normally that journey takes 2 minutes. We had to use a bit of nouse (travel down 419 2 miles to turn round and come back) to get in for 7.40. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have got even close. So my point would be, what would the crowd have been like had we had a line ups similar to the 2007 and 2009 finals. 

I don’t believe the sport will ever get back to 2007 and 2009 levels but you can reverse the trend that for years has seen the quality quietly eroded year on year. It is the perfect time to address speedway in the UK and look to put proper governance and plans in for the future to build the sport rather than look at the cheapest option or keep changing the rules season after season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Spot on about teams wanting a lower level when it suits..

However, there has to be a starting point and with Swindon's stadium issues I suggest this should be it..

Every Sport needs a 'Manchester United', ie a team who pulls in crowds home and away and gets people talking for good or bad, but never indifferent..

When I was a regular away from home we used to taunt the home fans with a rendition of "You've only come to see United". Which was 100% true as crowds at several grounds would go up by 10,000 to play us, then drop again the week after..

Each season Speedway takes away the success of the winning team by diluting them, thus the year after you are not really watching "The Champions" but a pale imitation version of them..

So. Let Swindon be "The Benchmark" for everyone else to try and knock off their perch..

And get some rivalries going amongst the rest of the League as they try to put one over them..

Jason Doyle is an ultra loyal to the UK, GP rider so each club should market his appearance as such, and Swindon have some excellent riders with, what appears, a great attitude so no better time I would suggest to try 'something new'..

And let's face it, the facts are each season each team starts on paper 'level' but very quickly teams become 'miles apart' on track so does the system actually work anyway?

Therefore, let Swindon build their business on the back of it (at a crucial time for them), and let the rest of the League benefit by having the 'Real Champions' visit and also give them something to aspire to be..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, theblueboy said:

I understand your point but I can only speak for myself. I have always wanted to see the best product available. Probably like yourself, I’ve followed my club when things haven’t gone so well and I was at both Coventry in 2007 and Wolves in 2009 when we lost in the finals. El Tel, and mine FWIW, has been consistent in his approach and I can assure you having read various comments in the local paper and Star that his standpoint over the years has not changed.

The continual weakening of the product does the sport no good. If clubs are not strong enough to compete, unfortunately, it is the survival of the fittest. Dragging clubs down to pander to the weaker clubs who do not have either the fan base or sponsorship means ultimately you will drag the other clubs in to the same position.

Sweden is clearly in trouble, so now is the time to change our mindset, and start to build the strength again. Tempt those riders that have given the UK a miss, back again. If each club had the opportunity to get a genuine number 1, get the tv to pay for it. It’s not like it would cost a lot of money, in general terms. There must be something to speedway, otherwise, why would Sky, BT and now Eurosport continue to show it? 

The crowd on Thursday at Swindon, was huge, I’ve not seen a crowd like that for years( the Coventry 2007 final at Brandon was massive, biggest crowd outside GP and unlikely to be matched and 2009 at home v Wolves was excellent) There were many that didn’t get to the stadium. To put it in to context. At 7.30 I was fully half a mile from the stadium. It had taken me 20 minutes to travel 2 miles. Normally that journey takes 2 minutes. We had to use a bit of nouse (travel down 419 2 miles to turn round and come back) to get in for 7.40. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have got even close. So my point would be, what would the crowd have been like had we had a line ups similar to the 2007 and 2009 finals. 

I don’t believe the sport will ever get back to 2007 and 2009 levels but you can reverse the trend that for years has seen the quality quietly eroded year on year. It is the perfect time to address speedway in the UK and look to put proper governance and plans in for the future to build the sport rather than look at the cheapest option or keep changing the rules season after season

My bruv left Liden at 640..stuck on 419 for ages..turned back. I'm sure there were more than just over 2000 there, as claimed on Points West. Would have been lot more without tv coverage, better weather, and better access and parking. Would have peed off local homeowners but at least they got free firework display.

7 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

My bruv left Liden at 640..stuck on 419 for ages..turned back. I'm sure there were more than just over 2000 there, as claimed on Points West. Would have been lot more without tv coverage, better weather, and better access and parking. Would have peed off local homeowners but at least they got free firework display.

I would say 3000 - 3500 would be the shout, maybe a little more. I was on the back straight, which was the busiest I’ve seen this season but went round for the presentations and the home straight was rammed from top to bottom.

My sister left Nythe at a similar time and got in on time. I left Park at just on 7 hence why I struggled a bit more.

• Like 2