British Speedway Forum

On 10/16/2019 at 1:22 PM, Najjer said:

The Championship is rubbish value for money compared to the Premiership. The quality of riders is hugely different in that it's effectively a case of Doyle, Iversen, Lambert, Kurtz, Holder vs. Stoneman, Atkins, Harris and other National League riders. The price is no different in general meaning the Championship compared to the Premiership in terms of quality of rider on show and the admission price is a rip off. Why else would crowds of been so bad this season in comparison?

Your point is valid regarding the gulf in rider differences however the names that lets it down. Yes Danny King, Rory Schlien, Charles Wright and similar are heading to the line with Luke Harris, Danny Phillips etc and that is just daft. There will never be a value product if that is the model. The top tier imposed a standard for the lower riders to achieve and that is needed in the Championship. Watch two teams were lowest ave is 4 and top is 7 and will see plenty of unpredictable racing all night. Sending riders on 10 point ave and 2 point average to the line in the same race and expecting people to pay for it is pure madness. 

• Like 4

Chris 'Bomber' Harris is first to fly the nest and has signed for Birmingham at Championship Level !!!

• Like 1

I did not attend the OTA at all this year, after regular attendance in 2018. Reason? Dropped a league, got rid of the world champion and (for me a pensioner) put up prices. Try selling something under the banner of "less for more" and you will be in trouble sooner or later. I am interested in the sport and watch it on TV but the ritual clearing out of riders for a whole new set up for the next season is the height of madness. Can you imagine the uproar if football tried that? Develop a fan loyalty base, bin the points limit, and let promoter build the team they want and their supporters can relate to over time and can support commercially.

• Like 6

Back in the seventies we had pretty much the same team at workington for 6 seasons just an odd change, all the old fans who get on the bug red bus still talk about those riders? Taffy lou mal mackay etc, that was our team not anymore these days , no disrespect to harris but he changes team every year now how can fans  get a bond with him.

• Like 2

From rebels WEB Site

Somerset boss Gary May is disappointed that he won't be able to bring Chris Harris back as an Oak Tree regular in 2020 after the Cornishman became a confirmed starter for Birmingham.

Championship rivals Brummies made the announcement today and May said "I am genuinely sorry to see Bomber move on, but that is part and parcel of speedway and the annual merry-go-round of riders. At the end if the day he is not owned by Somerset rider so we had to go into the mix to negotiate a deal. Of course I would have loved to have him back. I can tell you for sure that he had featured in no fewer than fifteen of my team permutations but at the end of the day we just could not strike the right deal for Somerset Speedway. I have always said that I am not prepared to risk the future of the club by offering riders deals that we can't possibly meet, we know what we can afford and we must always strive to operate within our budget. We weren't too far away on the numbers but that's how things turn out I guess. 2

"I am still determined to bring a competitive side together for 2020 and I have filled a notebook on possible teams. It's hard, very hard. Putting a team together is a bit like making buying and selling a house. If something down the chain happens there is a knock on effect throughout that chain. Likewise if one rider in a chosen seven drops by the wayside you have to take an overall look at the make-up of that side. Quite often we are working on fine margins as far as averages are concerned, and there are only limited resources out there."
"What I can say is that the planning goes, the 'phone bill is rising but I am sure we well get there with a team to do us proud."

Harris captained the Rebels to the SGB Championship play-off semi-finals and was a member of the SGB Championship Fours winning quartet. After just one season, Harris sits in 36th position of the all-time Rebels race winners with 52 victories to his name, and is 46th in the all-time points scorers with 264 race points scored in 2019, despite riding most of the campaign with a wrist injury, one which he is awaiting an operation on over the winter.

Anyone know what promoters have to go through to get a transfer or loan deal done?Is it a free fall all when you just approach a rider,or the rider does the same with the promoter,or is there rules(?!) that a club has to go through to get the deal done,ie contacting the BSPA,club who owns Chris Harris,or even contacting somerset to ask have you got first call on Chris Harris in 2020? 

18 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

Anyone know what promoters have to go through to get a transfer or loan deal done?Is it a free fall all when you just approach a rider,or the rider does the same with the promoter,or is there rules(?!) that a club has to go through to get the deal done,ie contacting the BSPA,club who owns Chris Harris,or even contacting somerset to ask have you got first call on Chris Harris in 2020? 

I'd guess protocol would be ask the rider who owns them, then go ask the promoter if they give you permission to talk to them and what loan terms would they require

2 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

I'd guess protocol would be ask the rider who owns them, then go ask the promoter if they give you permission to talk to them and what loan terms would they require

Any Promoter worth his salt should know which Club holds a rider’s registration. Permission should be sought from the ‘owning’ Promoter. Loan fees are on a fixed scale based on the rider’s average.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Any Promoter worth his salt should know which Club holds a rider’s registration. Permission should be sought from the ‘owning’ Promoter. Loan fees are on a fixed scale based on the rider’s average.

What happens if permission is refused?

I won't be lightening my wallet anywhere near a speedway track till they stop this nonsense. Well said Geoff

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

What happens if permission is refused?

Good question. In a perfect world the enquiring Promoter would move on and look elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, NeilWatson said:

Good question. In a perfect world the enquiring Promoter would move on and look elsewhere. 

Or just sign Miedzinski.  :)

• Like 1

I’m not too disappointed Harris has departed, he’s been a brilliant servant to British Speedway but I think his best days are behind him and I’m guessing he is costly.

I’d love to see Covatti and Rowe back, and build from there. I’d also love to see Charles Wright return but on a 9+ average there isn’t any value there. I’d take Jake Allen back but I’m not sure if he’s burnt his bridges with the promotion.

• Like 3

Whilst Wright may not be 'good value' in an average sense, I'd suggest that his value in an entertainment sense in almost immeasurable. He's clearly loved by many Rebels fans and he'd doubtless bring in more wavering fans - such as me. The British Champion tag wouldn't do any harm either. 

Surely Redcar aren't that flushed with cash that they can outbid a decently supported club like Somerset?

• Like 1