British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, speedybee said:

Surely Redcar aren't that flushed with cash that they can outbid a decently supported club like Somerset?

You might think so but after pleading abject poverty at last years AGM, and being one of the prime movers in bringing the team building points limit down to 38pts (they allegedly wanted 36pts), on the grounds that anything higher would possibly lead to them not running, that's exactly what they did!

Edited by womble53
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, womble53 said:

You might think so but after pleading abject poverty at last years AGM, and being one of the prime movers in bringing the team building points limit down to 38pts (they allegedly wanted 36pts), on the grounds that anything higher would possibly lead to them not running, that's exactly what they did!

Somerset may have had a different wage structure to Redcar though? They may have been willing to pay more for Wright than Somerset due to paying less elsewhere for other riders. Whereas Somerset signed 3 big hitters (one being Harris who is renowned for his expense).

• Like 1

I've seen it mentioned that Jake Allen fell out with the Somerset promotion during his time at the club. Obviously any thought of him signing for Somerset is irrelevant now with him signing for Scunthorpe but what happened with Jake at Somerset?

Edited by Speedway28

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, bill94d said:

I did not attend the OTA at all this year, after regular attendance in 2018. Reason? Dropped a league, got rid of the world champion and (for me a pensioner) put up prices. Try selling something under the banner of "less for more" and you will be in trouble sooner or later. I am interested in the sport and watch it on TV but the ritual clearing out of riders for a whole new set up for the next season is the height of madness. Can you imagine the uproar if football tried that? Develop a fan loyalty base, bin the points limit, and let promoter build the team they want and their supporters can relate to over time and can support commercially.

Sadly I agree with every word, apart from bin the points limit.  

On 10/19/2019 at 10:39 AM, bill94d said:

I did not attend the OTA at all this year, after regular attendance in 2018. Reason? Dropped a league, got rid of the world champion and (for me a pensioner) put up prices. Try selling something under the banner of "less for more" and you will be in trouble sooner or later. I am interested in the sport and watch it on TV but the ritual clearing out of riders for a whole new set up for the next season is the height of madness. Can you imagine the uproar if football tried that? Develop a fan loyalty base, bin the points limit, and let promoter build the team they want and their supporters can relate to over time and can support commercially.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It is a shame you both chose not to attend this season but you did miss some cracking racing over the season! You unfortunately also missed watching riders like Anders improve week by week and I am sure that I am not alone in hoping he is back in 2020 and beyond as a Rebel.

Think back to 2013 when Wrighty arrived as a reserve to replace Stefan Nielsen. No one was overly happy at that time that Stefan had been dropped by Gazza but Wrighty was back for 2014 and subsequent seasons and the rest is history as they say as the legend grew. I don't recall Charles ever getting as close to the fence at the OTA in those early days as he does now. Who is to say Anders won't take on that 'Wrighty mantle' in the seasons to come?? The lad has already grown in popularity over the season with the fans that attend each week and he interacts with the fans really well in my opinion for someone so young. He has to be nailed on to receive one if not more awards at the Presentation night on November 2nd.

I am sure the fact of us witnessing great racing at the OTA will be exactly the same in 2020 whatever division and whoever the guys are out on track for the Rebels or the opposition and who knows they might be spoken about as a Rebels legend in a few seasons if we give them the chance and our support.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2019 at 10:50 AM, geoff100 said:

Back in the seventies we had pretty much the same team at workington for 6 seasons just an odd change, all the old fans who get on the bug red bus still talk about those riders? Taffy lou mal mackay etc, that was our team not anymore these days , no disrespect to harris but he changes team every year now how can fans  get a bond with him.

I've been saying this for a years, we should see much more team loyalty to riders & riders to their teams. The BSPA have lost the importance this has to keep the fans & sponsors.

As for Somerset 2020 there's no Chris Harris or Jake Allen very little chance of Charles Wright all would have been very popular signings on the terraces (or grass bank). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CountyGround said:

I've been saying this for a years, we should see much more team loyalty to riders & riders to their teams. The BSPA have lost the importance this has to keep the fans & sponsors.

As for Somerset 2020 there's no Chris Harris or Jake Allen very little chance of Charles Wright all would have been very popular signings on the terraces (or grass bank). 

The problem these days is loyalty is a 2 way thing. The riders have to feel valued rather than disposable if you want loyalty from them, and at the same time riders need to give value to their employers by understanding there is more to it than just turning up riding and running away. They have to put the extra effort into contributing to the "show". 

Unfortunately too much of the time now each side is trying to get one over the other. something has to change with the way both sides are thinking.

Been saying for more years than I can remember if you pay riders as individuals don't be surprised if they act like them. The sport needs to understand that if you reward riders as a team based on team results, you'll probably get a better reaction from them as a team. eg No one lends bikes out these days do they. What a shock, but if the whole team might lose a cash bonus as a result? who's knows what might happen. 

Both side are clueless sometimes, trying to score cheap points over each other. It's like watching primary school kids in a playground sometimes. Sometimes I thing they both deserve each other.

• Like 1

Does anyone know where you can find a list of teams rider assets.  I know Poole have a lot & Somerset few but don't know who.

All very quiet on the Somerset thread !

On 10/17/2019 at 7:07 PM, crescent girl said:

Don't you mean that YOU want to see?  It is better to have a happy team, riding to a constructive budget than pandering to the demands of 'fans' who have no real connection to the real world? 

Its the Rebels 'End of season party' on Saturday so there may be some announcements then.

prob to remind people down there to reset their clocks !

56 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Its the Rebels 'End of season party' on Saturday so there may be some announcements then.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 4:55 PM, oldtimer said:

Yeh go on, bin the points limit..:t:

On 10/20/2019 at 10:46 AM, speedybee said:

Whilst Wright may not be 'good value' in an average sense, I'd suggest that his value in an entertainment sense in almost immeasurable. He's clearly loved by many Rebels fans and he'd doubtless bring in more wavering fans - such as me. The British Champion tag wouldn't do any harm either. 

Surely Redcar aren't that flushed with cash that they can outbid a decently supported club like Somerset?

Serious question. What's the average size of crowd you get at Somerset?

4 hours ago, erimus11 said:

Serious question. What's the average size of crowd you get at Somerset?

I would guess Somersets average crowd to be around 800. They would certainly benefit with "grand" Stand to help generate atmosphere & crowd noise, With such a large arena the crowd can look sparse however 3 big positives for Somerset over many other tracks are:

1. The Hancock's own the Stadium so no rent to pay.

2. The car park money all goes to the Hancock's & this is the only place to park.

3. All stadium food & drink profits stay in-house.